Haskell's new logo, and the idiocy of tech geekers

Discussion in 'Python' started by Xah Lee, Oct 3, 2009.

  1. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    Haskell has a new logo. A fantastic one. Beautiful. For creator,
    context, detail, see bottom of:

    • A Lambda Logo Tour
    http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/lambda_logo.html

    this is posted here because it relates to various computer software/
    language's logo, a subject discussed by me several times in the past
    years in comp.lang.lisp, comp.lang.scheme, comp.lang.python, as well
    discussed now and then in these communities often without my
    involvement.

    for my criticism or comment on logos, typical response by these people
    are showcases of complete ignorance of social function of logos, and a
    complete iliteracy in visual design (that any art student learns in
    first year), usually coupled with a teen-age militant attitude.
    (usually, these tech geeker's mentality is like: “you are a fucking
    idiot... we don't need a logo. Logos are for kids and blood-sucking
    marketers.â€)

    Some of these tech geekers, are motherfucking aggresive, so that they
    would ban me, or call me as a troll, or call upon whatever rules to
    oust me (such as “off topicalityâ€) , for any criticism on them. (if
    requested, i'll take some time to cite the exact url for numerous of
    these threads that happened in the past 5 years. My frustration in
    discussion logos happened in python, lojban, lisp communities. Note:
    not all people in these communities are idiotic about logos.
    Typically, it's just few of priest fuckheads (e.g. a newsgroup
    regular, or somewhat significant contributor of the particular
    community). This particularly happened in several threads in the
    lojban community where i criticized its logo during mid 2000s. (have a
    look at lojban's motherfucking idiotic logo here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lojban
    ))

    • The Purpose of Logos and Principles of Logo Design
    http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/logo_design.html

    • Lisp Needs A Logo
    http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/logo_lisp.html

    ----------------
    computer language and software logo gallery:

    • The Unix Pestilence
    http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/freebooks.html

    • A Lambda Logo Tour
    http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/lambda_logo.html

    • LISP Logo
    http://xahlee.org/emacs/lisp_logo.html

    • Qi Language Logo
    http://xahlee.org/emacs/qi_logo.html

    • Haskell Logo
    http://xahlee.org/haskell/haskell-logo.html

    • The Emacs Logo
    http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_logo.html

    • Xah's Java Logo
    http://xahlee.org/java-a-day/java_logo.html

    Xah
    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    ☄

    Xah Lee, Oct 3, 2009

  2. Xah Lee wrote:
    > Haskell has a new logo. A fantastic one. Beautiful. For creator,
    > context, detail, see bottom of:
    >
    > • A Lambda Logo Tour
    > http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/lambda_logo.html

    Cool survey, and yes, that is a nice new one for Haskell.

    I saw beauty the other day changing an application to talk to RDF for
    what it used to get from CLOS and seeing it Just Work after a couple of
    hours of poking around.

    Connecting those two paragraphs left as an exercise.

    kt

    Kenneth Tilton, Oct 3, 2009

  3. Kenneth Tilton <> writes:

    > Xah Lee wrote:
    >> Haskell has a new logo. A fantastic one. Beautiful. For creator,
    >> context, detail, see bottom of:
    >> • A Lambda Logo Tour
    >> http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/lambda_logo.html

    Don't do that!
    If you want to watch the logo, just google for haskell logo.
    There's no need to go thru xahlee.org.

    --
    __Pascal Bourguignon__

    Pascal J. Bourguignon, Oct 3, 2009
  4. Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
    > Kenneth Tilton <> writes:
    >
    >> Xah Lee wrote:
    >>> Haskell has a new logo. A fantastic one. Beautiful. For creator,
    >>> context, detail, see bottom of:
    >>> • A Lambda Logo Tour
    >>> http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/lambda_logo.html

    > Don't do that!
    > If you want to watch the logo, just google for haskell logo.
    > There's no need to go thru xahlee.org.

    Hunh? He has done a nice job of collecting different logos and putting
    them all in one place where one can see them all just by scrolling. ie,
    it's a cool web page with added value available nowhere else.

    kt

    --

    http://thelaughingstockatpngs.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Laughingstock/115923141782?ref=nf

    Kenneth Tilton, Oct 3, 2009
  5. Xah Lee

    Robert H Guest

    Robert H, Oct 3, 2009
  6. Xah Lee

    Dave Searles Guest

    Xah Lee wrote:
    > Haskell has a new logo. [Blam! It fucking blows because lambda means
    > pure functional]

    A truly pure functional language would be useless for anything but
    programming space heaters.

    Lambda seems not inappropriate on any language that strongly supports a
    functional style. Schemes and Clojure certainly do, and Haskell
    certainly does. Common Lisp is a bit less strongly
    functionally-oriented, but it still supports it better than, say, C or
    Java, by having first-class functions and closures.

    In fact the general pattern seems to be that lambda crops up in
    languages that have first-class functions, which not coincidentally tend
    to also have an anonymous function operator, often called lambda.

    Dave Searles, Oct 3, 2009
  7. Xah Lee wrote:
    > Haskell has a new logo. A fantastic one. Beautiful. For creator,
    > context, detail, see bottom of:

    What does this have to do with Python? Nothing.
    So why are you posting it to comp.lang.python?

    Chris

    - http://www.simplistix.co.uk

    Chris Withers, Oct 3, 2009
  8. It's Xah Lee, he's been trolling this and every other programing
    language group for over 10 years (preferably all at once). Let it go.

    Jack Diederich, Oct 3, 2009
  9. Xah Lee

    Tim Rowe Guest

    2009/10/3 Xah Lee <>:

    > for my criticism or comment on logos, typical response by these people
    > are showcases of complete ignorance of social function of logos

    [snip and rearrange]

    > discussed now and then in these communities often without my
    > involvement.

    > “you are a fucking idiot...

    > motherfucking aggresive

    > it's just few of priest fuckheads

    > look at lojban's motherfucking idiotic logo

    If you really knew anything about social function you would be able to
    work out why people think you are a troll.

    --
    Tim Rowe

    Tim Rowe, Oct 3, 2009
  10. On 3 Oct, 00:33, Xah Lee <> wrote:
    > Haskell has a new logo. A fantastic one. Beautiful. For creator,
    > context, detail, see bottom of:
    >
    > • A Lambda Logo Tour
    >  http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/lambda_logo.html

    I'm amazed he thinks anyone would donate 3 USD
    to that site

    Nick Keighley, Oct 3, 2009
  11. On Oct 2, 7:33 pm, Xah Lee <> wrote:
    > Haskell has a new logo. A fantastic one. Beautiful. For creator,
    > context, detail, see bottom of:
    >
    > • A Lambda Logo Tour
    >  http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/lambda_logo.html

    Interesting.. rant. Thanks for the logo collection, though, some of
    them are visually quite breathtaking.

    Q1: if you argue that Lisp and Scheme implementations are not purely
    functional enough to merit the use of the lambda character, then
    surely you'd be happy with the new Chicken logos, as the stylized
    representation is less obvious?

    Q2: if you preach about the sanctity of Greek characters, then what
    does your use of the sigma character mean -- that your site is a
    summation of all knowledge?

    Regards,

    --
    Michel

    Michel Alexandre Salim, Oct 4, 2009
  12. Jack Diederich wrote:
    > It's Xah Lee, he's been trolling this and every other programing
    > language group for over 10 years (preferably all at once). Let it go.

    I don't suppose there's any chance of just blocking the idiot, is there?

    Chris

    - http://www.simplistix.co.uk

    Chris Withers, Oct 6, 2009