MathML and LiveConnect applet

Discussion in 'Java' started by DKM, Jun 9, 2005.

  1. DKM

    DKM Guest

    I have been able to create a Java applet from which I can successfully
    create MathML elements using LiveConnect. To begin with the xml page
    interesting MathML stuff when the user clicks a button. The thing is
    working both in IE 6.0 (using Mathplayer 2.0) and also in FireFox 1.4.

    Now, here is the problem. When I try to refresh the page or leave the
    page IE crashes and a similar problem arises in FireFox, I see that
    some kind of exception is thrown. Here is some info about it:

    Unexpected Signal : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) occurred at
    PC=0x6D312E22
    Function=[Unknown.]
    Library=C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_08\bin\jpicom32.dll.

    Interestingly, if I create simple HTML elements as opposed to MathML
    elements, the above problem does not arise.

    Any idea what could be the problem?

    Thanks in advance.

    D.K. Mishra
    DKM, Jun 9, 2005

  2. DKM

    DKM Guest

    DKM wrote:
    > I have been able to create a Java applet from which I can successfully
    > create MathML elements using LiveConnect. To begin with the xml page
    > interesting MathML stuff when the user clicks a button. The thing is
    > working both in IE 6.0 (using Mathplayer 2.0) and also in FireFox 1.4.
    >
    > Now, here is the problem. When I try to refresh the page or leave the
    > page IE crashes and a similar problem arises in FireFox, I see that
    > some kind of exception is thrown. Here is some info about it:
    >
    > Unexpected Signal : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) occurred at
    > PC=0x6D312E22
    > Function=[Unknown.]
    > Library=C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_08\bin\jpicom32.dll.
    >
    > Interestingly, if I create simple HTML elements as opposed to MathML
    > elements, the above problem does not arise.
    >
    > Any idea what could be the problem?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > D.K. Mishra

    Here is some more info and correction/update about the problem.

    First of all, the problem was there whether I am creating simple HTML
    elements or MathML elements.

    The problem does not manifest when changing existing text for an
    element or the style of an existing element.

    I have found what was the problem in FireFox, now I have no crash in
    Firefox when creating HTML or MathML elements. The solution was to wait
    a good minute or two till I think the applet has initialized and
    started before calling any of the method. And, if one calls the method
    before whatever initialization, one has to wait till the call returns
    before calling the method again. If successive method calls are made,
    Firefox will crash sooner or later.

    Interestingly, in Internet Explorer, no such wait seems to be required.
    The call returns instantly and displays the created HTML or MathML.
    And, it continues to work till one refrshes the page or leaves the page
    at which point Internet Explorer crashes. I womder if Mathplayer has
    anything to do with. I has version 2.0a. I even upgraded it to version
    2.0b.

    So, perhaps, I want to find out when the applet has completed all its
    initialization and such in Internet Explorer, so that it is safe to
    call the applet method. The status bar shows applet started, but it
    seems there is still other initilization perhaps to complete.

    Thank you very much in advance.

    D.K. Mishra
    DKM, Jun 10, 2005