MathML and LiveConnect applet

DKM

I have been able to create a Java applet from which I can successfully
create MathML elements using LiveConnect. To begin with the xml page
interesting MathML stuff when the user clicks a button. The thing is
working both in IE 6.0 (using Mathplayer 2.0) and also in FireFox 1.4.

Now, here is the problem. When I try to refresh the page or leave the
page IE crashes and a similar problem arises in FireFox, I see that
some kind of exception is thrown. Here is some info about it:

Unexpected Signal : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) occurred at
PC=0x6D312E22
Function=[Unknown.]
Library=C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_08\bin\jpicom32.dll.

Interestingly, if I create simple HTML elements as opposed to MathML
elements, the above problem does not arise.

Any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

D.K. Mishra

DKM

DKM said:
[...]

Here is some more info and correction/update about the problem.

First of all, the problem was there whether I am creating simple HTML
elements or MathML elements.

The problem does not manifest when changing existing text for an
element or the style of an existing element.

I have found what was the problem in FireFox, now I have no crash in
Firefox when creating HTML or MathML elements. The solution was to wait
a good minute or two till I think the applet has initialized and
started before calling any of the method. And, if one calls the method
before whatever initialization, one has to wait till the call returns
before calling the method again. If successive method calls are made,
Firefox will crash sooner or later.

Interestingly, in Internet Explorer, no such wait seems to be required.
The call returns instantly and displays the created HTML or MathML.
And, it continues to work till one refrshes the page or leaves the page
at which point Internet Explorer crashes. I womder if Mathplayer has
anything to do with. I has version 2.0a. I even upgraded it to version
2.0b.

So, perhaps, I want to find out when the applet has completed all its
initialization and such in Internet Explorer, so that it is safe to
call the applet method. The status bar shows applet started, but it
seems there is still other initilization perhaps to complete.

Thank you very much in advance.

D.K. Mishra