Maven questions

cyber Boy

Hi,

I have several maven projects in Eclipse workspace and I have installed
m2eclipse plugin.
Everyhing works fine, but I need some solution for automatically building.
Do you have any solution ?
I am lazy for clicking mvn compile after did some changes.

What do you mean what is better, using mvn repository on a local disk only
or putting mvn repository in SVN ?
My solution is that local private repository is on a local disk and remote
private repository is in a SVN repository.
Do you have any better solution for organization mvn projects ?

Thanks.

Regards,
cyber1boy

Owen Jacobson

Hi,

I have several maven projects in Eclipse workspace and I have installed
m2eclipse plugin.
Everyhing works fine, but I need some solution for automatically building.
Do you have any solution ?
I am lazy for clicking mvn compile after did some changes.

Caveat: I think m2eclipse is a festering pile of crap.

As I understand it, m2eclipse lets Eclipse use Maven or at least
Maven's settings for incremental as-you-edit builds. For myself, I let
Eclipse's default compiler (without m2eclipse, but with mvn
eclipse:eclipse) do incremental compilation and only stop to do an mvn
clean install cycle when I'm nearing the end of implementing
something, or before committing.
What do you mean what is better, using mvn repository on a local disk only
or putting mvn repository in SVN ?
My solution is that local private repository is on a local disk and remote
private repository is in a SVN repository.

The local repository is a cache, and should be stored on the local
disk somewhere. The premise is that each user has their own cache,
and that artifacts in it are not shared with anyone else, so that
people can build random development versions and experimental hacks on
things without stepping on each others' toes.

The remote repositories are authoritative sources for dependencies,
and must be stable: you should never be replacing non-SNAPSHOT
dependencies in a remote repository, only adding new ones and
replacing SNAPSHOTs. Using SVN to backend a remote repository works;
there's a wagon plugin to automate deploy-to-SVN. Personally, I use
webdav or scp.

-o

cyber Boy

Caveat: I think m2eclipse is a festering pile of crap.

Ok, I don't have much experinece in m2eclipse and m2eclipse satisfies my
needs.
The local repository is a cache, and should be stored on the local
disk somewhere. The premise is that each user has their own cache,
and that artifacts in it are not shared with anyone else, so that
people can build random development versions and experimental hacks on
things without stepping on each others' toes.

The remote repositories are authoritative sources for dependencies,
and must be stable: you should never be replacing non-SNAPSHOT
dependencies in a remote repository, only adding new ones and
replacing SNAPSHOTs. Using SVN to backend a remote repository works;
there's a wagon plugin to automate deploy-to-SVN. Personally, I use
webdav or scp.

I agree with this.
Thanks.

Regards,
cyber1boy

Evans

Hi,

I have several maven projects in Eclipse workspace and I have installed
m2eclipse plugin.
Everyhing works fine, but I need some solution for automatically building..
Do you have any solution ?
I am lazy for clicking mvn compile after did some changes.

What do you mean what is better, using mvn repository on a local disk only
or putting mvn repository in SVN  ?
My solution is that local private repository is on a local disk and remote
private repository is in a SVN repository.
Do you have any better solution for organization mvn projects ?

Thanks.

Regards,
cyber1boy

I have given up in Maven myself. See here for details
http://www.jroller.com/evans/entry/why_drop_maven

Evans
http://www.jroller.com

cyber Boy

I can't find any configuration detalis also.
If you have some configuration strategy or examples you can write it.

cyber1boy