    : : http://pardus-larus.student.utwente.nl/~pardus | | |0|
    ) \ / ( |0|0|0|
    ",.*'*.," Proud owner of "Perl6 Essentials" 1st edition :) wannabe
    Jaap Karssenberg, Feb 9, 2004

  2. Jaap Karssenberg

    Guest

    Jaap Karssenberg <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a simple way to see where the memory goes in a large
    > perl application ?

    Depends on how modular the application is.

    Xho

    , Feb 10, 2004

  3. On 10 Feb 2004 01:18:10 GMT wrote:
    : Jaap Karssenberg <> wrote:
    : > Does anyone know of a simple way to see where the memory goes in a
    : > large perl application ?
    :
    : Depends on how modular the application is.

    It's kinda modular, if can figure out the memory usage per module that
    would make a good start for further analysis. So what do you suggest ?

    --
    ) ( Jaap Karssenberg || Pardus [Larus] | |0| |
    Jaap Karssenberg, Feb 10, 2004
  4. Jaap Karssenberg

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Jaap Karssenberg <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a simple way to see where the memory goes in a large
    > perl application ?

    Devel::Leak may help.

    Ben

    --
    Joy and Woe are woven fine,
    A Clothing for the Soul divine William Blake
    Ben Morrow, Feb 10, 2004
  5. Jaap Karssenberg

    Guest

    Jaap Karssenberg <> wrote:
    > On 10 Feb 2004 01:18:10 GMT wrote:
    > : Jaap Karssenberg <> wrote:
    > : > Does anyone know of a simple way to see where the memory goes in a
    > : > large perl application ?
    > :
    > : Depends on how modular the application is.
    >
    > It's kinda modular, if can figure out the memory usage per module that
    > would make a good start for further analysis. So what do you suggest ?

    When I have no idea where the memory could be going, usually I already have
    a driver for each module, so I just rig it up to run a psuedo-workload on
    each module separately and check the mem usage using "top" or whatever.

    But I am proud (or perhaps ashamed) to say I've used Acme::Abuse to run
    each module (in turn) in a separate interpreter, and just compared the
    sizes of the respective processes, when I wasn't able to readily make a
    realistic driver.

    But the thing I most often use is just Data::Dumper, as usually there are
    only a handful of suspects as to where the memory could be going.
    warn "suspect1 is ",length Dumper(\%suspect1); # give rough estimate of
    size

    Xho

    , Feb 10, 2004