Memory Usage

Lee

Hello,

Is anyone aware of how to minimise memory usage when viewing XML files.

Basically I have a 7Mb XML file which is transformed using a XSL file. When
I open the file in either IE or Netscape the memory usage goes from approx
244M to 810M which seems rather obscene.

I have had a brief look at STX but not being to familiar with XML
processing, am unsure if this would help. Is it possible to simply use an
STX stylesheet and then rediect IE to use a STX processor to minimise the
memory usage.

Any other ideas would be greatly approciated.

Lee

J??rgen Kahrs

Lee said:
Basically I have a 7Mb XML file which is transformed using a XSL file. When
I open the file in either IE or Netscape the memory usage goes from approx
244M to 810M which seems rather obscene.

Yes, obscene, this is an adequate word for the problem.
In the world of OO hype, resources dont matter and
everyone who objects is a beancounter.

Now, seriously: Files of 7 MB length are widely
seen as being unusually large and you shouldnt
expect a DOM-based XML parser to behave decently
when it opens such a file. Most such parsers will
crash when they try to open files larger than 500 MB.
That's the way it is.
I have had a brief look at STX but not being to familiar with XML
processing, am unsure if this would help. Is it possible to simply use an
STX stylesheet and then rediect IE to use a STX processor to minimise the
memory usage.

I dont think this is possible (yet).