Memory Usage

RC

I'm trying to get an idea of the amount of memory is being used by my
ASP.NET application.

Here's what I did:
I rebooted my machine and fired up VS.NET 2003, opened the project in
question (without running it), then opened Task Manager (machine is Win2000
Pro).
Task Manager showed aspnet_wp.exe as using about 21,000K. I then ran the
project (F5). The amount of memory used by aspnet_wp.exe jumped up to about
39,000K immediately. I then navigated throughout the app through several
pages. The amount of memory used by aspnet_wp.exe topped out around 47,000K.

Is it safe to conclude that my ASP.NET app requires about 26MB of RAM
(47000K - 21000K)? If not, what can I conclude, if anything, about my
ASP.NET app and RAM usage? FWIW: I'm hoping to learn about physical RAM
Usage (not virtual RAM).

Thanks!

Jason Brown [MSFT]

Using perfmon would be way better than using Task Manager - you can keep a
cumualtive log that way, on more counters.

--
Jason Brown
Microsoft GTSC, IIS

rights.

RC

Agreed, but for a rough estimate, does Task Manager tell me anything
useful... "in the ballpark" kind of info, or would you characterize the
values it shows as approaching "totally meaningless"?

Thanks.

Jason Brown [MSFT]

well, I'd say it perhaps gives you a rule of thumb, but the figures in
themselves may be misleading. try perfmon and see.

--
Jason Brown
Microsoft GTSC, IIS

rights.

Karl Seguin

You need to use the perfmon .Net CLR memory, # Bytes in all heap for the
w3wp (2003) or aspnet_wp (2000/xp) instance.

The task manager doesn't represent certain memory usage...I think an example
is Process\Virtual Bytes, so I wouldn't recommend using it..

Karl