    Does the CSS Friendly ASP.NET 2.0 Control Adapter kit work/ been tested with
    Safari or is it just another half baked idea?

    Any ideas on the menu control? Should I scrap it?

    Chuck P, Mar 14, 2007

  2. Hello Chuck,

    As for the menu control, the original problem of it is due to the default
    control adapter render those menu items through html <table> elements.
    However, html table element usually has different behaviors in different
    client browsers, and some webbrowser may not display it well. So the CSS
    Friend control adapter use html <div> layer to replace <table> based menu
    item which is more browser friendly. However, I'm not sure whether that has
    been fully tested through all kinds of browsers in addition to those main
    stream ones(such as IE, FF, NS...). Anyway, you can try testing some html

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Mar 14, 2007

  3. Chuck P

    Chuck P Guest

    Thanks,
    I was hoping to know if it would work ahead of time.
    It's a lot of work to put the control adapters into production and keep the
    control adapters versions up to date.

    Chuck P, Mar 14, 2007
  4. Thanks for your reply Chuck,

    Yes, replace all those controls to use control adapters in production
    environmente is quite expensive. Therefore, it is recommended that you
    choose some typical control(mostly used in your application that you want
    to adopt the css adapter) and test them in a development machine (test web
    application). Here are some blog article which introducing some info and
    tips on using css control adapter.

    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/05/02/CSS-Control-Adapter-Toolki
    t-for-ASP.NET-2.0-.aspx

    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/11/29/tip-trick-use-the-asp-net-
    2-0-css-control-adapters-for-css-friendly-html-output.aspx

    and the white paper has detailed view of each adapter's customizable

    http://www.asp.net/CSSAdapters/WhitePaper.aspx

    Also, as mentioned in the first article, you can add ".browser" file in web
    application to indicate whether to use or not use the certain control
    adapter according to the client browser setting.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Mar 15, 2007
  5. Chuck P

    Chuck P Guest

    Thanks,
    It's shameful the original controls and the control adapters aren't tested
    and documented to be compatible with Safari and other browsers. I hate
    buying a control package from one of the vendors (Infragistics etc) because
    of the cost and maintenance. However, they do state the controls work with
    common browsers and they do patch them when new browser versions come out.

    We ended up putting ClientTarget="UpLevel" in the pages. This seems to work
    with the latest release of Safari.

    Chuck P, Mar 15, 2007
  6. Thanks for your reply Chuck,

    Yes, some 3rd party vendor provided such kind of control package and even
    dedicated on this. Usually, the Visual Studio UIFX dev team will produce
    some flexible or extensible framework package so that end users and other
    ISVs and do further development based on them. I also think that the
    control adapter should have been tested against those popular browsers, but
    seems there hasn't provded a complete documentation on this. I think it
    would be good to include such information in the future. You're welcome to
    submit this request to our feedback center:

    http://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/default.aspx?SiteID=210

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Mar 16, 2007