    indexing process, why would a chinese web-page be indexed in english words?

    If anyone has any definitive answers on this it would be appreciated...

    Gary
    Gary, Nov 2, 2006

  2. Gary wrote:
    > But metatags: I usually do a "description" and "keywords" tag. Just not
    > sure if these tags should be formatted in Unicode or not.

    They should

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Nov 2, 2006

  3. Scripsit Gary:

    > One of my sites is to be translated into Chinese.
    > I'm familiar in coding the "Unicode" based language sets, so for the
    > most part it's fine.

    There is nothing "Unicode based" in Chinese or in any other language or set
    of languages. Chinese was written thousands of years before Unicode was
    invented, and spoken even much longer.

    What you probably _mean_ is that you are intending to use some Unicode
    encoding for pages in Chinese. That's possible, of course, and perhaps
    practical.

    > But metatags: I usually do a "description" and "keywords" tag.

    You shouldn't waste your time on them. Search engines have largely ignored
    them for years, or counted them just as important, or somewhat less
    important, than normal textual content. So put the relevant words into the
    content, and start the content in an interesting way. This should keep you
    so busy that you wan't play with <meta> fantasies.

    But technically, there is nothing special in the contents of <meta> tag
    attributes when you use a Unicode encoding. If you used, say, ISO-8859-7
    encoding for an HTML document, surely you would use - you would _have_ to
    use - it inside those attributes, too. There is no way to change the
    encoding within an HTML document.

    > It's an odd scenario because if the metatags are meant to be part of
    > an indexing process, why would a chinese web-page be indexed in
    > english words?

    Huh? It's your _question_ that has an odd scenario. You're confusing
    encoding with languages.

    I guess you're really asking whether an attribute value can contain
    non-ASCII characters in HTML. It surely can. You can use any characters
    there.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 2, 2006
  4. Gary

    Gary Guest

    "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > But metatags: I usually do a "description" and "keywords" tag. Just not
    > sure if these tags should be formatted in Unicode or not.

    Here's an example of what I found on Chinese sites:

    Windows,Unicode,Windows 2000,Windows XP,?????,????,????,??" />

    And another:

    content="在過去三十年,普仁羅華到世界各地,在五十多個國家舉辦節目,向成千上萬的人演講。他的訊息很單純:你所尋找的,就在你內在。人們透過一個所謂「知識」的過程,就可能跟內在聯繫上。">

    And another:

    ??????????????????????????????" />
    content="????,??,????,??,??,??,??,??,??,??,????,????,????,????,????,????,????,????,????,????,????,????,?????,????,??,??,??,??,????,??,??,??,asia
    times, asiatimes, online, newspaper, news, event, gazette, publicist,
    headline, article, economy, china news, mainland news, hong kong news, macau
    news, taiwan news, asian news, forum" />Not sure if these Chinese sympbols
    will render properly in newsgroup readers or not, but the above samples demo
    a mix of styles, some printing the Characters straight into the HTML, some
    using unicode sequences, some a mix of both.The bottom line seems to be
    "what necessity are Metatags at all" ... meaning - is there still any
    significant level of web page indexing that makes use of Metatag
    content?There doesn't seem to be much evidence around supporting the
    inclusion of Meta data at this point.Thanks for your opinions...Gary
    Gary, Nov 2, 2006
  5. Scripsit Gary:

    > Here's an example of what I found on Chinese sites:

    What's the point of all these quotations?

    > Not sure if these
    > Chinese sympbols will render properly in newsgroup readers or not,

    Of course they don't, especially since your newsreader did not specify the
    character encoding.

    > but the above samples demo a mix of styles, some printing the
    > Characters straight into the HTML, some using unicode sequences, some
    > a mix of both.

    Probably. (After all, the data did not get across properly, and you did not
    cite the URLs.) So what? It's the same as in element content, of course.

    > The bottom line seems to be "what necessity are
    > Metatags at all" ...

    No, the answer to that question is trivially "None". The question whether
    they are _useful_ at all is slightly more complicated.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 3, 2006