MIF To XML?

Hermund ?rdalen

Hi!

We're using FrameMaker for book production. Now we need to export the
contents to XML for further processing and conversions to other
formats. We tried the XML export function in FrameMaker but there was
a problem with the anchored frames. They were converted into images.
This is no good since we often use the anchored frames to contain
formatted text with markers, numering etc.

Therefore we're wondering if there's some way to convert MIF into XML.
That way we can save the FrameMaker documents as MIF, convert the MIF
to XML and then start processing without losing the formatting in the
anchored frames.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Axial

In a recent posting to the FrameMaker section of the Adobe User-to-User
forum, Roel van der Steen said he had written a perl module to parse
MIF. Unfortunately he did not provide any contact info in his post, but
perhaps he will reply to the thread again. Check it at:

[RFC] Proposal for a Perl module that parses MIF files (3/5/04)
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/[email protected]@.2cd073e1/0

You might be able to parse the MIF, extract the content of the anchored
frames and export them as XML in a separate step, then re-merge the
anchored-frame-XML with the original doc XML.

Sheila

Therefore we're wondering if there's some way to convert MIF into XML.
That way we can save the FrameMaker documents as MIF, convert the MIF
to XML and then start processing without losing the formatting in the
anchored frames.

Sheila Carlisle
Axial InfoSolutions Inc.
Automated Publishing Solutions / XML Publishing Solutions
http://www.axialinfo.com http://www.miramo.com