Migration from SQL Server 2k to XML

Guest

Hi,

I've written an Intranet app in asp.net (vb) using sql server 2k for big
customers. Now I need something for small customers with no need for
databases, so I'm thinking of xml. I have one database table I'd like to have
converted to a xml file.

To make things easy I'd like your opinion on how to solve my problem.

Do I have to upgrade sql serv2k with some xml stuff? Or is it just to write
some code in .net to achieve it? And if so, maybe an example code snippet
somewhere.

/Kenneth

Lucas Tam

I've written an Intranet app in asp.net (vb) using sql server 2k for
big customers. Now I need something for small customers with no need
for databases, so I'm thinking of xml. I have one database table I'd
like to have converted to a xml file.

Why don't you look at MSDE or SQL Server 2005 Express? They're desktop
database engines for small customers... if you can use either database
servers you might not need to re-write your application.

Otherwise, how about Microsoft Access?

Guest

Hmmm....

I should maybe had said that I don't want any database at all to my other
customers, because they are looking for some simple solutions and database
solutions aren't simple for them because I have had some of them as customers
for the past 15 tears and I know that they can't even use Explorer to copy
and paste files. It has to be simple for them to get it working.

To deploy an app will take only 0.5 MB, then there is Redistributable
Framework on 25 MB which they will not understand, then mdac and so on. Not a
simple solution for them.

XML would be a simple solution.

/Kenneth

Guest

On really easy way would be get the tables into a ADO.Net dataset. Once your
data is there, you can serialize it to XML using
dsMyDataSet.WriteXML("MyFileName.xml"). This will create an XML file that's
ready to be used as a datasource. Just load it using
dsMyDataSet.ReadXML("MyFileName.xml").

Hope this helps!

Guest

On really easy way would be get the tables into a ADO.Net dataset. Once your
data is there, you can serialize it to XML using
dsMyDataSet.WriteXML("MyFileName.xml"). This will create an XML file that's
ready to be used as a datasource. Just load it using
dsMyDataSet.ReadXML("MyFileName.xml").

Hope this helps!

Guest

On really easy way would be get the tables into a ADO.Net dataset. Once your
data is there, you can serialize it to XML using
dsMyDataSet.WriteXML("MyFileName.xml"). This will create an XML file that's
ready to be used as a datasource. Just load it using
dsMyDataSet.ReadXML("MyFileName.xml").

Hope this helps!

Guest

Thanks Joel,

That'll do.

Kenneth

Joel Cade said:
On really easy way would be get the tables into a ADO.Net dataset. Once your
data is there, you can serialize it to XML using
dsMyDataSet.WriteXML("MyFileName.xml"). This will create an XML file that's
ready to be used as a datasource. Just load it using
dsMyDataSet.ReadXML("MyFileName.xml").

Hope this helps!

Lucas Tam

To deploy an app will take only 0.5 MB, then there is Redistributable
Framework on 25 MB which they will not understand, then mdac and so
on. Not a simple solution for them.

You can integrate the setup of SQL server or MDAC into your install app.
Your custom won't even know.

Guest

Lucas,

That's good news. Where do you do it? Do you need InstallShield or will
VS.NET do? Any code with explanations?

/Kenneth

Guest

Joel,

I did it! Piece of cake.

Though I got a small problem. Every DateTime column in my dataset wrote

2002-02-21T15:54:00.0000000+01:00 to the xml file

instead of

2002-02-21T15:54:00 what was in sql server and tha complicates it in my
grid. It's formatted as

DataFormatString="{0:d}"

Any ideas whether you should format the output to the xml file or you should
format it in the grid connected to the datasource?

/Kenneth

Guest

Joel,

Another thing. When you use the ds.WriteXML("MyFilename.xml") method the xml
file is saved in the 'Documents and settings/Adminitrator' folder. What
method would you use to write it to the same folder where the app resides?

/Kenneth

Lucas Tam

Lucas,

That's good news. Where do you do it? Do you need InstallShield or will
VS.NET do? Any code with explanations?

Here's some info:

INF: Customizing SQL/MSDE Unattended Installation Files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q233312/

Perform An Unattended Install of MSDE
http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/1494271

MSDE Deployment Resource Kit:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/techinfo/reskit/deployreskit.asp

As for SQL 2005, it has a Embedded installation... but I believe that
won't be available to Beta 3.

SQL Server 2005 Express documentation can be downloaded here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2ADBC1A8-AE5C-
497D-B584-EAB6719300CD&displaylang=en