    some code in .net to achieve it? And if so, maybe an example code snippet
    somewhere.

    /Kenneth

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VubmV0aA==?=, Oct 20, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?S2VubmV0aA==?=

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "=?Utf-8?B?S2VubmV0aA==?=" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I've written an Intranet app in asp.net (vb) using sql server 2k for
    > big customers. Now I need something for small customers with no need
    > for databases, so I'm thinking of xml. I have one database table I'd
    > like to have converted to a xml file.

    Why don't you look at MSDE or SQL Server 2005 Express? They're desktop
    database engines for small customers... if you can use either database
    servers you might not need to re-write your application.

    Otherwise, how about Microsoft Access?

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Oct 20, 2004

  3. Hmmm....

    I should maybe had said that I don't want any database at all to my other
    customers, because they are looking for some simple solutions and database
    solutions aren't simple for them because I have had some of them as customers
    for the past 15 tears and I know that they can't even use Explorer to copy
    and paste files. It has to be simple for them to get it working.

    To deploy an app will take only 0.5 MB, then there is Redistributable
    Framework on 25 MB which they will not understand, then mdac and so on. Not a
    simple solution for them.

    XML would be a simple solution.

    /Kenneth

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VubmV0aA==?=, Oct 20, 2004
  4. On really easy way would be get the tables into a ADO.Net dataset. Once your
    data is there, you can serialize it to XML using
    dsMyDataSet.WriteXML("MyFileName.xml"). This will create an XML file that's
    ready to be used as a datasource. Just load it using
    dsMyDataSet.ReadXML("MyFileName.xml").

    Hope this helps!

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lbCBDYWRl?=, Oct 20, 2004
  5. On really easy way would be get the tables into a ADO.Net dataset. Once your

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lbCBDYWRl?=, Oct 20, 2004
  6. On really easy way would be get the tables into a ADO.Net dataset. Once your

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lbCBDYWRl?=, Oct 20, 2004
  7. Thanks Joel,

    That'll do.

    Kenneth

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VubmV0aA==?=, Oct 20, 2004
  8. =?Utf-8?B?S2VubmV0aA==?=

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "=?Utf-8?B?S2VubmV0aA==?=" <> wrote in

    > To deploy an app will take only 0.5 MB, then there is Redistributable
    > Framework on 25 MB which they will not understand, then mdac and so
    > on. Not a simple solution for them.

    You can integrate the setup of SQL server or MDAC into your install app.
    Your custom won't even know.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Oct 21, 2004
  9. Lucas,

    That's good news. Where do you do it? Do you need InstallShield or will
    VS.NET do? Any code with explanations?

    /Kenneth

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VubmV0aA==?=, Oct 22, 2004
  10. Joel,

    I did it! Piece of cake.

    Though I got a small problem. Every DateTime column in my dataset wrote

    2002-02-21T15:54:00.0000000+01:00 to the xml file

    instead of

    2002-02-21T15:54:00 what was in sql server and tha complicates it in my
    grid. It's formatted as

    DataFormatString="{0:d}"

    Any ideas whether you should format the output to the xml file or you should
    format it in the grid connected to the datasource?

    /Kenneth

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VubmV0aA==?=, Oct 22, 2004
  11. Joel,

    Another thing. When you use the ds.WriteXML("MyFilename.xml") method the xml
    file is saved in the 'Documents and settings/Adminitrator' folder. What
    method would you use to write it to the same folder where the app resides?

    /Kenneth

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VubmV0aA==?=, Oct 22, 2004
  12. =?Utf-8?B?S2VubmV0aA==?=

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "=?Utf-8?B?S2VubmV0aA==?=" <> wrote in

    > Lucas,
    >
    > That's good news. Where do you do it? Do you need InstallShield or

    will
    > VS.NET do? Any code with explanations?

    Here's some info:

    INF: Customizing SQL/MSDE Unattended Installation Files
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q233312/

    Perform An Unattended Install of MSDE
    http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/1494271

    MSDE Deployment Resource Kit:
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/techinfo/reskit/deployreskit.asp

    As for SQL 2005, it has a Embedded installation... but I believe that
    won't be available to Beta 3.

    SQL Server 2005 Express documentation can be downloaded here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2ADBC1A8-AE5C-
    497D-B584-EAB6719300CD&displaylang=en

    --
    Lucas Tam ()