Missing sidebar

Will

The side bar for my clients website, www.carpentersshop.net, is not
present for him with his SBC Yahoo browser. It seems to work everywhere
else and even works on IE for him on the same computer. With his SBC
yahoo 5.02.02.409 IE 6.0.2900.2180 browser he has this problem. I was
hoping someone here might have an idea why this was happening.

Thanks,
Will

IEDesigner

Will said:
The side bar for my clients website, www.carpentersshop.net, is not
present for him with his SBC Yahoo browser. It seems to work everywhere
else and even works on IE for him on the same computer. With his SBC
yahoo 5.02.02.409 IE 6.0.2900.2180 browser he has this problem. I was
hoping someone here might have an idea why this was happening.

Thanks,
Will

Look here:
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/sbc/browser/
The sidebar is a feature of that browser. Not your clients website.
IEDesigner

IEDesigner

Hywel Jenkins said:
Going on the OP, I imagine the "sidebar" is the navigation frame. When
you consider that the sidebar is *missing* from the SBC browser, but
*present* in IE, I doubt it's the SBC gadget.

If you look at the link I gave you will see that the Yahoo SBC browser has a
feature called a sidebar. Do you think the Yahoo SBC browser doesn't support
frames? That seems unlikely since they talk about a frames version of their
email site here:
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/sbc/mail/errors/errors-06.html
IEDesigner

Hywel Jenkins

If you look at the link I gave you will see that the Yahoo SBC browser has a
feature called a sidebar. Do you think the Yahoo SBC browser doesn't support
frames?

If you read the OP you will see that the OP *hasn't* got a problem with
the SBC browser. Do you think that you can do that?

IEDesigner

Hywel Jenkins said:
If you read the OP you will see that the OP *hasn't* got a problem with
the SBC browser. Do you think that you can do that?

It maybe due to a language barrier but I find you posts cryptic. Be more
descriptive please. Do what exactly?
IEDesigner

Hywel Jenkins

It maybe due to a language barrier

Possibly. I speak a lot of English, a little Welsh, a little French, a
little Italian, and some Spanish.

Your posts are saying that the sidebar is a feature of the SBC browser.
That's *not* what the OP is talking about, saying quite clearly that he
DOESN'T get the "sidebar" in the SBC browser, but DOES get it in IE. I
doubt he's on about the SBC sidebar, but he's failed to provide enough
information.

I just think you've misread the original post, or you've missed the
point. Going on what you're saying the OP should get the sidebar in
SBC, but not in IE, which is the opposite of what's happening.

IEDesigner

Hywel Jenkins said:
Possibly. I speak a lot of English, a little Welsh, a little French, a
little Italian, and some Spanish.

Your posts are saying that the sidebar is a feature of the SBC browser.
That's *not* what the OP is talking about, saying quite clearly that he
DOESN'T get the "sidebar" in the SBC browser, but DOES get it in IE. I
doubt he's on about the SBC sidebar, but he's failed to provide enough
information.

I just think you've misread the original post, or you've missed the
point. Going on what you're saying the OP should get the sidebar in
SBC, but not in IE, which is the opposite of what's happening.

The OP could certainly be clearer. Lets start fresh shall we? Here's the OP:

"The side bar for my clients website, www.carpentersshop.net, is not
present for him with his SBC Yahoo browser. It seems to work everywhere
else and even works on IE for him on the same computer. With his SBC
yahoo 5.02.02.409 IE 6.0.2900.2180 browser he has this problem. I was
hoping someone here might have an idea why this was happening.
Thanks,
Will"

To answer Will's question we must know what he thinks is a "sidebar"? It may
be that he's speaking about the frame containing the navigation links at his
clients website. Do you think the frame containing the navigation links at
his client's website is missing when he visits the site with the SBC Yahoo
browser? If so then why do you believe this is happening? Please tell me,
what do you think the answer is to Will's problem?
IEDesigner

Hywel Jenkins

The OP could certainly be clearer. Lets start fresh shall we? Here's the OP:

"The side bar for my clients website, www.carpentersshop.net, is not
present for him with his SBC Yahoo browser. It seems to work everywhere
else and even works on IE for him on the same computer. With his SBC
yahoo 5.02.02.409 IE 6.0.2900.2180 browser he has this problem. I was
hoping someone here might have an idea why this was happening.
Thanks,
Will"

To answer Will's question we must know what he thinks is a "sidebar"?

Exactly. It worry's me that he's talking about his "client" yet seems
to be making a fundamental misuse of terminology.

If so then why do you believe this is happening?

I have no idea. The OP hasn't clarified the details.
Please tell me,
what do you think the answer is to Will's problem?

The "client" usually has his Favorites open in the side bar, and that's
been closed. Perhaps the client has explained this over the 'phone.
That said, if you look at the site in IE6 @ 1024x768, there's massive
horizontal scrolling. See here:
http://kibo.org.uk/demo/CS.jpg

IEDesigner

That said, if you look at the site in IE6 @ 1024x768, there's massive
horizontal scrolling. See here:
http://kibo.org.uk/demo/CS.jpg

I went to www.carpentersshop.net with IE6 at 1024x768 and I didn't see a
horizontal scroll bar. However at 800x600 I did see a horizontal scroll bar.
Why do you see a horizontal scroll bar at 1024x768? I finally looked at the
code too and I see it's not frames based, normally that's the first thing
I'd do. I guess that business about the browser threw me off.
IEDesigner

Will

IEDesigner said:
[...]

So, what I mean is that vertical scroll bar on the right of the page is
missing on the SBC browser for my client so he can not get to the
contents at the bottom of the page. My client talked about the
"sidebar" feature on the SBC browser but I have not seen or used it so I
am not sure exactly what that is. It sounds like you guys do though.
He talked about resizing the sidebar and then seeing the scroll bar.
Again, I don't exactly know that that means. He does not have this
problem with IE though, it works fine and this seems to be the only
website that acts funny on his SBC browser.

Will

IEDesigner

Will said:
So, what I mean is that vertical scroll bar on the right of the page is
missing on the SBC browser for my client so he can not get to the
contents at the bottom of the page. My client talked about the
"sidebar" feature on the SBC browser but I have not seen or used it so I
am not sure exactly what that is. It sounds like you guys do though.
He talked about resizing the sidebar and then seeing the scroll bar.
Again, I don't exactly know that that means. He does not have this
problem with IE though, it works fine and this seems to be the only
website that acts funny on his SBC browser.

Will

I don't use the SBC Yahoo browser so no joy there. Do any of the frames
contain <NORESIZE>?
IEDesigner

IEDesigner

Will said:
The site does not use frames.

Will

You are quite right, I apologize. I have frames imbedded in my mind probably
because I responded to a thread in another NG about frames. Your site uses a
CSS positioned div's. This may have something to do with the problem but I'm
just guessing. Try asking your question in:

On a different track altogether here 's a thread that might apply to your
clients situation:
http://groups.google.com/group/24ho...o+sbc+browser+sidebar&rnum=3#f98cc44203428e3e
Your client may be talking about the History bar. The solution in the thread
I linked to was to toggle the History bar on by pressing ctrl+i.
IEDesigner

Will

IEDesigner said:
You are quite right, I apologize. I have frames imbedded in my mind probably
because I responded to a thread in another NG about frames. Your site uses a
CSS positioned div's. This may have something to do with the problem but I'm
just guessing. Try asking your question in:

On a different track altogether here 's a thread that might apply to your
clients situation:
http://groups.google.com/group/24ho...o+sbc+browser+sidebar&rnum=3#f98cc44203428e3e
Your client may be talking about the History bar. The solution in the thread
I linked to was to toggle the History bar on by pressing ctrl+i.
IEDesigner
Thanks, I sent that to him to see if that works.

Will