Missing /usr/lib/python2.3/config

Tin Gherdanarra

Hallo,

when trying to run the script ez_setup.py, I fail
with

unable to open /usr/lib/python2.3/config/Makefile

This is true. There is no /usr/lib/python2.3/config
directory. A check on groups.google revealed that
this is a bug in my debian distro or something. Is
this true? Is there a work-around? I can't reinstall
debian because it is not my server.

Any clues appreciated, thanks
Tin

Fredrik Lundh

Tin said:
when trying to run the script ez_setup.py, I fail
with

unable to open /usr/lib/python2.3/config/Makefile

This is true. There is no /usr/lib/python2.3/config
directory. A check on groups.google revealed that
this is a bug in my debian distro or something. Is
this true?

to build Python extensions, you need the developer extensions:

http://packages.debian.org/stable/python/python-dev
Is there a work-around? I can't reinstall debian because it is
not my server.

have you looked for prebuilt versions of whatever package it is you're
trying to install?

</F>

Zoli

Hi.
when trying to run the script ez_setup.py, I fail
with

unable to open /usr/lib/python2.3/config/Makefile

This is true. There is no /usr/lib/python2.3/config
directory. A check on groups.google revealed that
this is a bug in my debian distro or something. Is
this true? Is there a work-around? I can't reinstall
debian because it is not my server.

Install the python-dev package:

apt-get install python-dev