Mixed Server Version Session State problem

Brian Anderson

I am experiencing session timeouts in an IIS 6 load balanced web farm. Some
of the servers have Standard Edition and others have Enterprise Edition.
Could this be the culprit? It is an Asp.net application (Site identifiers
are the same for the IIS website and the machine key has been set in the
machine.config across all servers.) I am using stateserver for sessions and
all servers are connecting to the state service ok. Anything else that I
missed?

TIA,

Brian

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Set the machine keys manually. That is your most likely problem. If the keys
are autogenerated, they are not the same and cannot be used for viewstate on
the other machine. You can also solve with sticky sessions, but it is easier
to change machine keys. There are sites that generate valid machine keys
that you can google.

Brian Anderson

Thanks for the reply. The machine keys are manually set (to the same value
for the appropriate framework), and the site identifiers are the same.
Sticky sessions are not an option.

Thanks,

Brian