MMA - Musical MIDI Accompaniment

Bob van der Poel

I'm pleased to announce the release of my program

mma - Musical MIDI Accompaniment
version: Beta 0.11

MMA is a accompaniment generator -- it creates midi tracks
for a soloist to perform over from a user supplied file
containing chords and MMA directives.

MMA is very versatile and generates excellent tracks. It comes
with an extensive user-extendable library with a variety of
patterns for various popular rhythms, an extensive user manual,
and several demo songs.

MMA is a command line driven program. It creates MIDI files
which need a sequencer or MIDI file play program.

MMA is written in Python. You'll need Python 2.3 (or later)
for MMA to function.

MMA is supplied in 4 tar.gz archives. Included:

mma-bin -- the main script and library files.
mma-html -- documentation in HTML format.
mma-pdf -- documentation in PDF format.
mma-songs -- a collection of about 120 songs in MMA format.

If you get all four download packages the total size is still
less than 1.5 megabytes.

MMA is currently in BETA. We are looking for lots of help in debugging
the program, creating songs for distribution, and new and improved
library files.

Best of all, MMA is free. It is released under the terms of the GNU
General Public License. It has been developed on a Linux platform,
but should be usable on just about any system. A detailed page now
exists on our web site on how-to install on a Windows system.

MMA is available on my personal home page:

http://mypage.uniserve.com/~bvdp/mma/mma.html

If you have any questions or comments, please send them
to: (e-mail address removed)

Beta 0.11: Lots of new MIDI commands (MIDIVoice, MIDISeq and MIDClear)
permit fine control in library files. VoiceTR command to change voicing
between synths. UNIFY command for better sustained chords. General clean
ups, etc. Web page has Windows installation instructions.

Comments appreciated!