Modal dialog question/how-to

Brian Simmons

Hi All,

I would think this would be a fairly common thing, but I'm having a bit of
trouble finding what I want on google/etc...

In an ASP.NET 2.0, C# webform, I would like to have a textbox and button.

In the textbox, you would type a couple of characters (i.e. "Amer"), then
click the button (labeled "Browse...").
It would open a modal browser dialog, show a radio-buttoned list of
companies which begin with "Amer".
The user would radio-button select the company they're interested in, and
click OK to the dialog.
The dialog would close and the textbox would be filled with the user's
choice ("American Steel" for example).

Does anyone have a sample of this or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Brian

Mark Rae

As it is not cross browser, then you could do a pseudo modal dialog by
using a DIV, positioned and looking like a modal dialog.

Yes indeed, as no doubt Thomas Hansen will tell us sooner or later...

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Brian,

Please see following FAQ document:

#ASP .NET FAQ - How to select a value from a child form and send it to
parent form?
http://www.syncfusion.com/FAQ/aspnet/WEB_c11c.aspx#q282q

window.open will open a non-modal dialog, but it works on most browsers;
window.showModalDialog
(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms536759.aspx) is a IE only
solution. In either case, the opener property from child window could be
used to reference the parent page.

Please feel free to let me know if there's anything unclear. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Brian,

If you're using ASP.NET AJAX, you may also try following component from
ASP.NET AJAX Control Toolkit:

#ModalPopup Sample
http://ajax.asp.net/ajaxtoolkit/ModalPopup/ModalPopup.aspx

Regards,