Modeslsim VHDL library distribution

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Rob, Aug 13, 2008.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Hi All,

    Does anybody know the best way of distributing modelsim libraries,
    keeping the VHDL source code private?

    Obviously I can distribute a precompiled library, compiled with the -
    nodebug switch, but AFAIK the library format can and does change
    between Modelsim releases. This means I will need to distribute a
    precompiled library for every release i want to support, on each
    platform.

    The other alternative i thought of was to write a program that has the
    source code embedded (in encrypted format) and invokes vcom at the
    command line. The problem with this is that the source will need to be
    written to a file in the clear for vcom to operate on.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Cheers
    Rob
    Rob, Aug 13, 2008

  2. Rob wrote:
    > Obviously I can distribute a precompiled library, compiled with the -
    > nodebug switch, but AFAIK the library format can and does change
    > between Modelsim releases. This means I will need to distribute a
    > precompiled library for every release i want to support, on each
    > platform.

    Newer version of Modelsim can always update the older database version,
    but of course not the other way. The commands are "vcom -refresh" and
    "vlog -refresh". And the compiled format is platform independent if
    the platforms have same amount of bits (32/64b difference).

    > The other alternative i thought of was to write a program that has the
    > source code embedded (in encrypted format) and invokes vcom at the
    > command line. The problem with this is that the source will need to be
    > written to a file in the clear for vcom to operate on.

    With verilog code there would be more options for native code
    encryption in recent Modelsim versions.

    --Kim
    Kim Enkovaara, Aug 13, 2008