Modelsim Library Problem

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Ardni, May 28, 2009.

  1. Ardni

    Ardni

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    Messages:
    I have a problem using modelsim. I have a library called "altera_mf" which I have mapped to the correct location on the hard drive. When I expand the library and look at the various entities and packages, if I click recompile I reciever an error saying:

    * Error: (vcom-19) Failed to access library 'd:/9.0/modelsim/libs/altera/vhdl/altera_mf' at "d:/9.0/modelsim/libs/altera/vhdl/altera_mf".

    I don´t understand why modelsim is looking here since I have the actual library mapped t:
    C:/altera/90/modelsim_ase/altera/vhdl/altera_mf

    I arrived at this point trying to debug anothe problem where a PLL won´t work. I believe it may have something to do with the libraries.

    I am 3 days with this issue and don´t know what else to try, I´m totally lost.

    Many thanks for any suggestions.

    EDIT: When I attempt to recompile modelsim seems to be looking for the DVD drive (but the files all seem to be on the hard drive). I downloaded the modelsim altera edition so that I could get the relevant libraries. Does anybody know where I can download the libraries for Altera to use with the latest version of Quartus and Altera. Thanks

    Last edited: May 28, 2009
    Ardni, May 28, 2009

  2. Ardni

    Ardni

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    Messages:
    23
    Hi again,

    I have still been trying to fix this issue and have tried various things, I am going to let you know what i have been trying and hopefully it may trigger an idea with someone.

    To map the relevant libraries I have typed into modelsim:

    vmap altera C:/altera/90/modelsim_ase/altera/vhdl/altera

    (which is where this particulat library resides)

    Modelsim reponds with :Modifying C:/Documents and Settings/fcassidy/Mis documentos/Atlante/ATLANTE_Glue_Logic_FPGA/simulation/modelsim/Atlante_Glue_logic_FPGA_Functional_Sim.mpf
    and the librray appears on the list. I can do a refresh and modelsim seems to compile the librraies without any problems, but when I click on the '+' sign, and try to recompile the individual entities and packages I recieve the following error:

    # Model Technology ModelSim PE vcom 6.5a Compiler 2009.03 Mar 27 2009
    # ** Error: (vcom-19) Failed to access library 'd:/9.0/modelsim/libs/altera/vhdl/altera' at "d:/9.0/modelsim/libs/altera/vhdl/altera".
    # Permission denied. (errno = EACCES)
    # C:/modeltech_pe_6.5a/win32pe/vcom failed.

    Also when I execute the vmap command the .ini file is not altered and the new libraries do not appear in the file. I dont know if it should be modified?

    Please if anyone has any advice, no matter how irelevant it may seem, please let me know. I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

    Many thanks

    Ardni, May 29, 2009

  3. Ardni

    JohnDuq

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2008
    Messages:
    88
    - do a text search in your design folder(s) for "d:/9.0" and see if it is defined somewhere else?

    - disable your DVD and map D: to c: (although your folder names are different between the two paths so I'm not sure you can get this to work).

    JohnDuq, May 29, 2009
  4. Ardni

    Ardni

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    Messages:
    23
    Thank you JohnDuq for your reply.
    I did a search in the files in the design folder and unfortunately I could fid any reference to that path.

    I am unsure as to what the problem is but if anyone has any further ideas please post them.

    Many Thanks

    Ardni, Jun 1, 2009
  5. Ardni

    JohnDuq

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2008
    Messages:
    88
    Have you performed a 'clean up' on your project and compiled everything again? That may eliminate the out of date file that is referencing the other location.

    The extreme version of this is to start a new project and just copy your top level files to there (vhdl, ucf, etc) and start the whole thing from scratch.

    Did you have this working at one time and then it stopped when files were relocated, or has it never worked? You might have a hard coded link somewhere that you are stuck with. Can you try running the code on another machine where you have more control over the drives?

    John D

    JohnDuq, Jun 4, 2009
  6. Ardni

    Ardni

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    Messages:
    23
    Hi John,
    Thanks again for your reply.
    Yes this simulation was working once upon a time, but I started messing around with another version (Modelsim Altera) becauase other colleages were using the all the available licences for PE.

    Anyway what done was uninstall modelsim altera and PE and then reinstall PE again. This seemed to solve the problem. It seems somehow that running the two different versions somehow corrupted some file or setting somewhere. So for the moment everything seems to be back in order.

    Thank you again for your suggestions.

    Ardni, Jun 8, 2009
  7. Ardni

    JohnDuq