module import search path strangeness

tow

I have a python script (part of a django application, if it makes any
difference) which is exhibiting the following behaviour:

import my_module # succeeds
imp.find_module("my_module") # fails, raising ImportError

which is completely baffling me. According to sys.path, both should
fail; the directory containing my_module is not in sys.path (though
the my_module directory itself is). More puzzlingly, printing out
my_module.__file__ gives:

/home/tow/test/my_module/../my_module/__init__.pyc

I don't really understand what the ".." is doing in there.

Can someone explain what I'm missing here, it's got me stumped.

Toby

Gabriel Genellina

I have a python script (part of a django application, if it makes any
difference) which is exhibiting the following behaviour:

import my_module # succeeds
imp.find_module("my_module") # fails, raising ImportError

which is completely baffling me. According to sys.path, both should
fail; the directory containing my_module is not in sys.path (though
the my_module directory itself is).

my_module is not a module but a package, right? Else I don't understand
the above statement.
More puzzlingly, printing out
my_module.__file__ gives:

/home/tow/test/my_module/../my_module/__init__.pyc

I don't really understand what the ".." is doing in there.

Can someone explain what I'm missing here, it's got me stumped.

Perhaps you have ".." in sys.path? And the current directory happens to be
/home/tow/test/my_module?

tow

my_module is not a module but a package, right? Else I don't understand
the above statement.

Sorry, sloppy terminology on my part, yes, my_module is a package.
Perhaps you have ".." in sys.path? And the current directory happens to be
/home/tow/test/my_module?

The current directory is actually a subdirectory of /home/tow/test/
my_module,
but ".." is not in sys.path (nor is anything containing "..") In any
case, if
it were a matter of sys.path, surely the imp.find_module call above
should succeed?

Basically, I had thought that import and imp.find_module used exactly
the same
search path, but the above example shows that at least in this
circumstance they
don't; import is picking up additional search paths from somewhere -
what am I missing?

Toby

Peter Otten

The current directory is actually a subdirectory of /home/tow/test/
my_module,
but ".." is not in sys.path (nor is anything containing "..") In any
Basically, I had thought that import and imp.find_module used exactly
the same
search path, but the above example shows that at least in this
circumstance they
don't; import is picking up additional search paths from somewhere -
what am I missing?

Grepping through the django source finds

../trunk/django/core/management/__init__.py:
sys.path.append(os.path.join(project_directory, os.pardir))

sys.path could be changed as a side effect of an import, so I ask you to
verify (again) that import and imp.find_module() see the same sys.path.

assert all(".." not in p for p in sys.path)
import my_module

assert all(".." not in p for p in sys.path)
imp.find_module("my_module")

Peter

tow

tow wrote:

Grepping through the django source finds

./trunk/django/core/management/__init__.py:
sys.path.append(os.path.join(project_directory, os.pardir))

Hmm. It turns out that that is indeed the issue, but in a way that
wasn't immediately obvious to me. Looking at it in more context:

sys.path.append(os.path.join(project_directory, os.pardir))
project_module = __import__(project_name, {}, {}, [''])
sys.path.pop()

sys.path is extended, the project module is imported, then the
additional path is dropped from sys.path.
And if I comment out those sys.path manipulations, I get the result I
expect later on.

What I think is happening is that in that stanza, project_module
(which is my_module in my case) is
imported from the altered sys.path. sys.path is then put back, but
python now knows about my_module.

As a result when my_module is imported again elsewhere, python already
knows about it, so no searching
of sys.path is done (which is good, because it wouldn't be found on
the current sys.path), and the
import apparently succeeds, though in fact it's effectively
(actually?) a no-op.

However, imp.find_module("my_module") forces a search of the sys.path,
and thus fails.

Or at least, that is what I surmise, given that I see

import my_module # succeeds
imp.find_module("my_module") # fails, raising ImportError

So, to answer my original question, the difference in search behaviour
between "import" and "imp.find_module" is that the former might not
look at sys.path at all if the module has already been loaded, while
the latter will only search on the current sys.path.

Am I right?

Toby

Peter Otten

tow said:
tow wrote:

Grepping through the django source finds

./trunk/django/core/management/__init__.py:
sys.path.append(os.path.join(project_directory, os.pardir))

Hmm. It turns out that that is indeed the issue, but in a way that
wasn't immediately obvious to me. Looking at it in more context:

sys.path.append(os.path.join(project_directory, os.pardir))
project_module = __import__(project_name, {}, {}, [''])
sys.path.pop()
Ouch.

So, to answer my original question, the difference in search behaviour
between "import" and "imp.find_module" is that the former might not
look at sys.path at all if the module has already been loaded, while
the latter will only search on the current sys.path.

Am I right?

Yes. 'import' looks up the file in a cache, the sys.modules dictionary,
before it falls back to the more costly alternatives.

Peter

Sion Arrowsmith

Peter Otten said:
tow said:
sys.path.append(os.path.join(project_directory, os.pardir))
project_module = __import__(project_name, {}, {}, [''])
sys.path.pop()
Ouch.

I presume that "Ouch" is in consideration of what might happen if
the subject of the __import__ also calls sys.path.append ...?

tow

Hmm. It turns out that that is indeed the issue, but in a way that
wasn't immediately obvious to me. Looking at it in more context:
    sys.path.append(os.path.join(project_directory, os.pardir))
    project_module = __import__(project_name, {}, {}, [''])
    sys.path.pop()
Ouch.

So, to answer my original question, the difference in search behaviour
between "import" and "imp.find_module" is that the former might not
look at sys.path at all if the module has already been loaded, while
the latter will only search on the current sys.path.
Am I right?

Yes. 'import' looks up the file in a cache, the sys.modules dictionary,
before it falls back to the more costly alternatives.

Peter

Thanks, at least I understand what's going on now.

Toby

Peter Otten

Sion said:
Peter Otten said:
tow said:
sys.path.append(os.path.join(project_directory, os.pardir))
project_module = __import__(project_name, {}, {}, [''])
sys.path.pop()
Ouch.

I presume that "Ouch" is in consideration of what might happen if
the subject of the __import__ also calls sys.path.append ...?

Yes ;)

Peter