monitor multicast traffic/IP

J

jasonguto

Folks:
I am a Network Engineer, but have been trying to teach myself Python since Cisco will be leverage it on new high end models, yet I am very new to programming and Python; however, I have a need to have the ability to monitor traffic, more specificity multicast packets from a few sources.

Just need some direction or pointers as to what to look for, what to reviewor what can be leveraged to start developing this app.

In addition, can someone direct me to resources for procedural style of coding in Python? I am not grasping OOP concepts very well. I have played around with C and BASIC back in High School, but that was many years ago.

Thank you

E

ElChino

I am a Network Engineer, but have been trying to teach myself Python since Cisco
will be leverage it on new high end models, yet I am very new to programming and
Python; however, I have a need to have the ability to monitor traffic, more
specificity multicast packets from a few sources.

Take a look at ImPacket and Pcapy [1+2]. Using one slightly modified sample
therein, I was able to sniff out all mcast traffic here with this command:
python sniff.py %PCAP_DEVICE% "ip[16] >= 224"

I'm on a quiet home LAN, so not much mcasts here:

Ether: 1c:bd:b9:c0:63:c6 -> 01:00:5e:00:00:01
IP 10.0.0.10 -> 224.0.0.1
110a eef5 0000 0000 ........

Ether: 1c:bd:b9:c0:63:c6 -> 01:00:5e:00:00:01
IP 10.0.0.10 -> 224.0.0.1
110a eef5 0000 0000 ........

[1] http://corelabs.coresecurity.com/index.php?module=Wiki&action=view&type=tool&name=Impacket
[2] http://corelabs.coresecurity.com/index.php?module=Wiki&action=view&type=tool&name=Pcapy

--gv

Ask a Question