More Summer of Code goodness (please forward)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by pat eyler, Mar 20, 2007.

  1. pat eyler

    pat eyler Guest

    pat eyler, Mar 20, 2007

  2. pat eyler

    Evan Weaver Guest

    pat eyler wrote:
    > RubyCentral is proud to announce that we have our Summer of Code and
    > Summer of Code Ideas pages up. Please go enjoy the html goodness at:

    Is there any way to formally suggest an idea for students to pursue,
    besides posting to ruby-talk or elsewhere? I, and all of computational
    biology, are dying for a way to access Perl and/or Python libraries from
    Ruby.

    Evan Weaver

    Evan Weaver, Mar 21, 2007

  3. Evan Weaver wrote:
    > pat eyler wrote:
    >
    >> RubyCentral is proud to announce that we have our Summer of Code and
    >> Summer of Code Ideas pages up. Please go enjoy the html goodness at:
    >>

    > Is there any way to formally suggest an idea for students to pursue,
    > besides posting to ruby-talk or elsewhere? I, and all of computational
    > biology, are dying for a way to access Perl and/or Python libraries from
    > Ruby.
    >
    > Evan Weaver

    Yeah, I looked at the Squeak ideas page and it looked like a bunch of
    people with existing projects looking for help. :)

    Speaking of computational biology, there *is* a working bridge from Ruby
    to R now, thanks to Alex Gutteridge and the RSRuby project. Now that I
    think of it, he's a PhD student. Anyhow, you can get to BioConductor via
    Ruby now, although you still have to know enough R to be able to call an
    R function and receive its results.

    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Mar 21, 2007
  4. Hello,

    I'm really sorry but I typed a really long message about GSoC, my
    application and my
    project ideas, and forgot to save it elsewhere.

    Since I were not a member of this group at that time, it has been
    lost.
    Does anyone know how to get it back ? I typed it in the Google Group
    web interface
    (darn, I should only trust my faithful emacs gnus !).

    Thanks,

    --
    Sylvain Abélard

    Sylvain Abélard, Mar 21, 2007
  5. pat eyler

    pat eyler Guest

    On 3/20/07, Evan Weaver <> wrote:
    > pat eyler wrote:
    > > RubyCentral is proud to announce that we have our Summer of Code and
    > > Summer of Code Ideas pages up. Please go enjoy the html goodness at:

    > Is there any way to formally suggest an idea for students to pursue,
    > besides posting to ruby-talk or elsewhere? I, and all of computational
    > biology, are dying for a way to access Perl and/or Python libraries from
    > Ruby.

    Post (or email me) something, and I'll post it on the ideas page.

    > Evan Weaver

    thanks,
    -pate
    -------------------------
    http://on-ruby.blogspot.com
    http://on-ruby.tumblr.com
    http://www.rubycentral.org/projects/soc2007

    pat eyler, Mar 21, 2007
  6. OK, so I have free time on my hands and posting it again ;)

    This may be long so I'll write first things first :
    - Can I apply ?
    - Can RubyCentral be my mentor ?
    - If so, should I rather take a real Ruby project ?
    - Do my project look good ?

    =3D APPLICATION, TIME REQUIRED =3D

    I don't know whether I'll have enough time to do GSoC because I have
    work to do at school until mid-july. But then it can still be possible
    if school work does not take so much time. Last year was hardcore and
    I am used to working 70+ hours a week. So if my school only takes me
    30 to 40 hours per week in June-July I can still do a great
    project ;)

    Are GSoC students supposed to be working harder than basic guys in
    companies (50h/week) or are they considered as students during summer
    that will go to parties every night or even have weekends (25h/week) ?
    If more than 40h a week are a minimum then I guess I'll just have to
    forget about it.

    There is still the possibility that I ask my school to include GSoC in
    my scholarship, giving me more time to work on it and replace a
    project my friends are going to do with a grade about my GSoC, if my
    GSoC project gives me skills in a same field as the project, but they
    are a bit long to decide and applications are due soon.

    =3D RUBYCENTRAL AS A MENTOR =3D

    My project is not a project *for* the Ruby community, but merely
    *using* Ruby, which is my favorite language and is quite good for
    manipulating text. Is that still eligible for RubyCentral to be my
    mentor ?

    I like the spirit and philosophy of Ruby and its community has always
    looked great, so that would really motivates me if I could work with
    Ruby-guys :)

    =3D PROJECTS I CAN HELP WORKING ON =3D

    There are projects I'd be glad to work on improving for the community,
    such as ZenSpider's tools (RubyInline, Ruby2C) or some ambitious VM
    projects (YARV, rubinius).

    The question is : I think I'm quite good, but when I look at that it
    seems to hard. But I like challenges and I've done complicated stuff
    before, so are these the kind :
    - super hard, but when you really look at it you find that you can do
    it !
    - super hard, only semi-gods can even understand it (which I'm not) !

    Sorry for forgetting to be humble but I think I've done quite hard
    stuff before. I have good understanding of some subjects : my school
    made us recode many parts of the C standard lib with only a very small
    set of available function (ex: recoding malloc with only brk/sbrk.
    Other functions are restricted to assert, perror, exit, write and
    getenv). I value this because when shit happens, I can understand what
    I've done wrong :)

    I also had opportunities to discover many things : I'm no expert but I
    tried fun stuff such as distributed programming, image processing,
    functional languages (OCaML) or just stuff that are interesting and
    challenging to do (ObjectiveC, tiny tiny bits of Lisp, ...) which made
    me curious and allow me to quickly match what I'm learning now to
    parts I've already heard of.

    Now that you semi-gods know me, is your project still too hard for me
    or do you think I just have to read many doc then I can join in ?

    That said, I don't think the other ideas are bad :) I just don't know
    them all, and I try to ask for the projects that motivates me the
    most, that's only natural.

    =3D MY PROJECT IDEA =3D

    OK, now my project idea : when given a report to write, I want to help
    the teacher spot the cheaters (massive copy-paste from Wikipedia or
    other docs).

    This is really something that is resource consuming, so what I want to
    do is not having to diff every file against every other file, so I'd
    like to implement heuristics that lead to a "signature" of the
    document that would be easy to compare with many other "signatures" so
    that I can show the teacher parts of documents that are highly
    suspicious.

    I think the "extract-the-docs-signature" part can be slow and
    complicated, but I'd really like the signatures comparison to be super
    fast. I also prefer to let cheaters go unsuspected than to overwhelm
    the teacher with many cheat warnings (or my tool would defeit its
    purpose, which is easing the teachers' life), but that can only be a
    parameter in the heuristics.

    It has some sub-parts around it such as asking the teacher the other
    students' documents, asking the keywords and getting a few first docs
    from Google : cheaters are lazy ;)
    I also don't want my program to be too "google-heavy".

    What I am thinking as a first heuristic would be taking the words'
    size. If in two documents there is the same sequence of 20 words with
    the exact same length, this really seems suspicious. Of course, since
    I have said that I want to reduce greatly the number of suspicious
    parts, I can spend time on 'critical' parts and make some other
    algorithm run on them, so I can see if that signatures resemblance
    was only chance (ie. thinking this mail has been copied-pasted from
    Hamlet).

    In my school there is such a tool for comparing students' source code
    (we are not allowed to look at it of course, and maybe that's just
    bluff ^^). That's easy to do with code since there is a strict
    grammar, preprocessor tools and so on : a basic attempt of concealing
    cheat such as changing the variables' names does not work. Of course
    two sourcecodes with the same AST would be VERY suspicious.

    I'm willing to try this approach during my GSoC if this is necessary,
    but I know natural language processing is hard (impossible ?) even for
    researchers that are far more intelligent than I am ;) But hey, maybe
    I'll even be able to catch people that are merely paraphrasing
    Wikipedia !

    As you see my thinking is not complete and I have many points to
    study. If some people are ever interested in that, even not for GSoC,
    please feel free to contact me ! I may not have lots of free time but
    hey, let's try !

    =3D THANKS ! =3D

    Thanks to anybody having read until here :)
    Now you understand why I did not want to write it down again, but
    don't worry I made some copies elsewhere ;)

    I'm looking forward to your answers and I'm beginning to enjoy Ruby-
    talk, but alas that's quite time-consuming and my school is forcing me
    to do an awful J2EE project due very soon, I miss Rails so much :'(

    Thanks again everyone !

    --
    Sylvain Ab=E9lard
    French Railer Rubyist

    Sylvain Abélard, Mar 21, 2007
  7. pat eyler

    pat eyler Guest

    On 3/21/07, Sylvain Ab=E9lard <> wrote:
    > OK, so I have free time on my hands and posting it again ;)
    >
    > This may be long so I'll write first things first :
    > - Can I apply ?

    yes, I think so

    > - Can RubyCentral be my mentor ?

    yes. If you and your project are accepted

    > - If so, should I rather take a real Ruby project ?

    I'd prefer projects that help the Ruby community (or one of its
    sub-communities), but your idea certainly looks reasonable.

    > - Do my project look good ?

    As above. I'd like to see some additonal detail around
    project plans (testing/verification and timelines especially)

> [...]
    > researchers that are far more intelligent than I am ;) But hey, maybe
    > I'll even be able to catch people that are merely paraphrasing
    > Wikipedia !
    >

    > As you see my thinking is not complete and I have many points to
    > study. If some people are ever interested in that, even not for GSoC,
    > please feel free to contact me ! I may not have lots of free time but
    > hey, let's try !
    >

    > =3D THANKS ! =3D
    >
    > Thanks to anybody having read until here :)
    > Now you understand why I did not want to write it down again, but
    > don't worry I made some copies elsewhere ;)
    >
    > I'm looking forward to your answers and I'm beginning to enjoy Ruby-
    > talk, but alas that's quite time-consuming and my school is forcing me
    > to do an awful J2EE project due very soon, I miss Rails so much :'(

    --=20
    thanks,
    -pate
    -------------------------

    pat eyler, Mar 21, 2007
  8. Hi,

    pat eyler wrote:
    > http://www.rubycentral.org/projects/soc2007/ideas

    > A Ruby benchmark suite

    Great! :)

    I have more ideas.

    1. Scheme or JavaScript on Ruby/YARV

    YARV has own assembler (lib/yasm) which can be write in Ruby. Compiling
    Scheme or JavaScript or something you like achieve Inline::XXX on Ruby.

    Please pointed out the lack of YARV instructions and yasm functions.

    2. Ruby/YARV Continuation Support

    Some people love demos with continuation. Let's make fake callcc
    support that can show demos. Everyone cannot discover what it's a fake
    implementation because they don't use it in their applications.

    ...it's joke. but almost truth. True goal of this project is to
    implement complete callcc support.

    3. Ruby/YARV Partial Continuation Support

    Partial Continuation is what we need (I believe). Design this API and
    implement it. It will need realistic limitation. But it will be
    realistic answer who want to use generator, or so.

    4. Userlevel threads on Ruby/YARV

    YARV uses native thread instead of traditional userlevel thraed. It's
    good idea to some points, but bad idea to some points. Let's implement
    userlevel thread system on YARV. If you implement it, you can run YARV
    on DOS machine.

    5. Simple Simple test suits

    Ruby has own test cases in Test::Unit. But to work Test::Unit is too
    difficult for alternative implementation which built from scratch.
    Current YARV has "bootstraptest" to test primitives. Your goal is to
    enlarge this test items.

    6....

    ----

    Yes, I know that it's too late. So you can try above issues if you are
    not a student :)

    --
    // SASADA Koichi at atdot dot net

    SASADA Koichi, Mar 26, 2007