morphological image processing in Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Alexandre Fayolle, Oct 3, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    I'm about to start a project which will involve some greyscale image
    processing using morphological operators (erosion, dilation, distance
    transforms...), and I was wondering if these operators were available in
    Python through some open source libraries.

    A quick google search returned pymorphpro[1], which is unfortunately not
    free software, and there also seem to be something available in ITK [2].
    Unless I'm mistaken, the PIL does not provide these operations, nore do
    Numeric/numarray/scipy.

    Have I missed the one true Python mathematical morphology toolbox?

    Thanks in advance for any advice.

    [1] http://www.mmorph.com/pymorphpro/index.html
    [2] http://www.itk.org/

    --
    Alexandre Fayolle LOGILAB, Paris (France).
    http://www.logilab.com http://www.logilab.fr http://www.logilab.org
    Alexandre Fayolle, Oct 3, 2005

  2. Alexandre Fayolle

    Robert Kern Guest

    Alexandre Fayolle wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm about to start a project which will involve some greyscale image
    > processing using morphological operators (erosion, dilation, distance
    > transforms...), and I was wondering if these operators were available in
    > Python through some open source libraries.
    >
    > A quick google search returned pymorphpro[1], which is unfortunately not
    > free software, and there also seem to be something available in ITK [2].
    > Unless I'm mistaken, the PIL does not provide these operations, nore do
    > Numeric/numarray/scipy.
    >
    > Have I missed the one true Python mathematical morphology toolbox?

    numarray

    http://stsdas.stsci.edu/numarray/numarray-1.3.html/module-numarray.ndimage.html

    This will be ported to the new scipy shortly. We could use some help.

    --
    Robert Kern

    -- Richard Harter
    Robert Kern, Oct 3, 2005

  3. On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:23:11 +0000 (UTC), Alexandre Fayolle
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I'm about to start a project which will involve some greyscale image
    >processing using morphological operators (erosion, dilation, distance
    >transforms...), and I was wondering if these operators were available in
    >Python through some open source libraries.
    >
    >A quick google search returned pymorphpro[1], which is unfortunately not
    >free software, and there also seem to be something available in ITK [2].
    >Unless I'm mistaken, the PIL does not provide these operations, nore do
    >Numeric/numarray/scipy.
    >
    >Have I missed the one true Python mathematical morphology toolbox?
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any advice.

    Actually, numarray does support morphological array operations. See
    the chapter on 'Multi-dimensional image processing' in the numarray
    docs.

    Matt Feinstein

    --
    There is no virtue in believing something that can be proved to be true.
    Matt Feinstein, Oct 3, 2005
  4. Alexandre Fayolle

    Guest

    Alexandre Fayolle 寫é“:

    http://www.mmorph.com/resources.html

    check this page.
    Pymorph is a free.

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm about to start a project which will involve some greyscale image
    > processing using morphological operators (erosion, dilation, distance
    > transforms...), and I was wondering if these operators were available in
    > Python through some open source libraries.
    >
    > A quick google search returned pymorphpro[1], which is unfortunately not
    > free software, and there also seem to be something available in ITK [2].
    > Unless I'm mistaken, the PIL does not provide these operations, nore do
    > Numeric/numarray/scipy.
    >
    > Have I missed the one true Python mathematical morphology toolbox?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice.
    >
    > [1] http://www.mmorph.com/pymorphpro/index.html
    > [2] http://www.itk.org/
    >
    > --
    > Alexandre Fayolle LOGILAB, Paris (France).
    > http://www.logilab.com http://www.logilab.fr http://www.logilab.org
    , Oct 3, 2005
  5. Alexandre Fayolle

    D.Hering Guest

    D.Hering, Oct 3, 2005
  6. Alexandre Fayolle

    superraf

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    You can also take a look at "Yayi" (raffi.enficiaud.free.fr)
    It is free, open-source and under permissive license (Boost). The library is written in C++, and the Python extension is performed through boost.python.
    superraf, Aug 13, 2010