morphological image processing in Python

Alexandre Fayolle

Hello,

I'm about to start a project which will involve some greyscale image
processing using morphological operators (erosion, dilation, distance
transforms...), and I was wondering if these operators were available in
Python through some open source libraries.

A quick google search returned pymorphpro[1], which is unfortunately not
free software, and there also seem to be something available in ITK [2].
Unless I'm mistaken, the PIL does not provide these operations, nore do
Numeric/numarray/scipy.

Have I missed the one true Python mathematical morphology toolbox?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

[1] http://www.mmorph.com/pymorphpro/index.html
[2] http://www.itk.org/

Robert Kern

Alexandre said:
Hello,

I'm about to start a project which will involve some greyscale image
processing using morphological operators (erosion, dilation, distance
transforms...), and I was wondering if these operators were available in
Python through some open source libraries.

A quick google search returned pymorphpro[1], which is unfortunately not
free software, and there also seem to be something available in ITK [2].
Unless I'm mistaken, the PIL does not provide these operations, nore do
Numeric/numarray/scipy.

Have I missed the one true Python mathematical morphology toolbox?

numarray

http://stsdas.stsci.edu/numarray/numarray-1.3.html/module-numarray.ndimage.html

This will be ported to the new scipy shortly. We could use some help.

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Matt Feinstein

Hello,

I'm about to start a project which will involve some greyscale image
processing using morphological operators (erosion, dilation, distance
transforms...), and I was wondering if these operators were available in
Python through some open source libraries.

A quick google search returned pymorphpro[1], which is unfortunately not
free software, and there also seem to be something available in ITK [2].
Unless I'm mistaken, the PIL does not provide these operations, nore do
Numeric/numarray/scipy.

Have I missed the one true Python mathematical morphology toolbox?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Actually, numarray does support morphological array operations. See
the chapter on 'Multi-dimensional image processing' in the numarray
docs.

Matt Feinstein

Joined
Aug 13, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
You can also take a look at "Yayi" (raffi.enficiaud.free.fr)
It is free, open-source and under permissive license (Boost). The library is written in C++, and the Python extension is performed through boost.python.