    Does anyone know of what is the most popular gui framework for python
    application?

    TIA

    Back9, Aug 11, 2010

  2. Back9

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Back9 wrote:

    > Does anyone know of what is the most popular gui framework for python
    > application?

    Don't think it's the most popular, but I think it may be the one which works
    for quite a lot of different platforms, PyQt, works fine on my desktop as
    cellphone.

    --

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Aug 11, 2010

  3. On Wednesday 11 August 2010, it occurred to Back9 to exclaim:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know of what is the most popular gui framework for python
    > application?

    I'd guess at Tkinter - it's part of the standard library.
    Another quite popular option is PyGtk. Other good ones include wxPython, PyQt,
    and PySide.

    Thomas Jollans, Aug 11, 2010
  4. Back9

    Peter Guest

    On Aug 12, 6:13 am, Thomas Jollans <> wrote:
    > On Wednesday 11 August 2010, it occurred to Back9 to exclaim:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > Does anyone know of what is the most popular gui framework for python
    > > application?

    > I'd guess at Tkinter - it's part of the standard library.
    > Another quite popular option is PyGtk. Other good ones include wxPython, PyQt,
    > and PySide.

    Lots of choices - you could try Jython as well, then you have access
    to all the Java GUI framework :)

    Personally, I have used Tkinter, PMW (Widgets built on Tkinter) - all
    of my GUI stuff to date is written using these.

    I have tried WxPython - I found it quite difficult to learn, but this
    was quite some years ago now and perhaps there are some easy books
    that will help you ease into it.

    I am currently experimenting with PyQt - I have Mark Summerfield's
    book, "Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt" - very readable book.
    Now that the Qt license is more friendly to the "hobbyist" I think I
    will switch all of my GUI work over to PyQt.

    There are so many these days (just look at the Python wiki page on
    GUIs) that you can't really try them all - just not enough hours in
    the day. I would suggest you have a quick browse of what's available
    and then select one or two to focus on. Most are pretty well
    "portable" between multiple platforms - but realistically I have never
    used anything other than a Windoze platform cross-platform
    compatibility may not be such a big deal.

    I would strongly recommend reading the Python Wiki page on GUI
    programming: http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming

    Peter

    Peter, Aug 11, 2010
  5. Back9

    meitham Guest

    On Aug 11, 8:31 pm, Back9 <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know of what is the most popular gui framework for python
    > application?
    >
    > TIA

    I used to prefer using GTK mainly because it is available on most
    platforms. I have realised the majority of the enterprises prefer to
    use browsers even for local applications. So a combination of django/
    html/css/jquery/ajax now gives me the best gui I could get. This
    approach also forces me to separate logic from presentation, and the
    gui will be truly platform independent which could run on any device
    with a browser.

    Meitham

    meitham, Aug 12, 2010