Moving To JDialog From JFrame: NetBeans Design View Has JFrameWithout A Variable Name

Discussion in 'Java' started by clusardi2k@aol.com, Aug 27, 2012.

  1. Guest

    If I can't obtain the name of a JFrame variable what can I do.

    I created a form using NetBean's Design view. The JFrame doesn't appear to have a variable name associated with it. Can I obtain a variable name for it somehow.

    If I copy the entire project to another file with the same name and delete the old file the project still runs. In the file, there is no explicit reference to a JFrame at all. But, the JFrame class is inherited in a number of places.

    I need the name of the JFrame variable because I want to use it in a JDialog extended class using:

    public class Test extends JDialog
    { ...
    public Test(Frame parent)
    {
    super(parent, "Login", true);

    The above "parent" was created using:

    final JFrame frame = new JFrame("Testing");

    I pass frame to Test:

    Test tst = new Test(frame);

    Thank you,

    , Aug 27, 2012

    When I put the folowing code into "InitComponents ()", it tells me "frame0".

    System.out.println ("Variable name " + this.toString());

    , Aug 27, 2012

  3. Eric Sosman Guest

    On 8/27/2012 10:10 AM, wrote:
    > If I can't obtain the name of a JFrame variable what can I do.

    Invent one?

    > I created a form using NetBean's Design view. The JFrame doesn't appear to have a variable name associated with it. Can I obtain a variable name for it somehow.

    You created a *class* using NetBeans: Data fields, initializers,
    methods -- and one or more constructors. When you want an instance
    of that class, construct one with `new', just as you would with any
    other class. And if you want to retain a reference to that instance,
    store it in a variable with a name of your own choosing.

    > If I copy the entire project to another file with the same name and delete the old file the project still runs. In the file, there is no explicit reference to a JFrame at all. But, the JFrame class is inherited in a number of places.

    Sorry; I can't figure out what you mean by "copy the entire project"
    or by "the project still runs." Also, while it makes sense that your
    class might extend JFrame, I don't understand how it can do so "in a
    number of places."

    > I need the name of the JFrame variable because I want to use it in a JDialog extended class using:
    >
    > public class Test extends JDialog
    > { ...
    > public Test(Frame parent)
    > {
    > super(parent, "Login", true);
    >
    > The above "parent" was created using:
    >
    > final JFrame frame = new JFrame("Testing");

    Problem solved: `frame' is the name of the variable that
    refers to your JFrame. (Yet I can't escape the feeling that
    something's been garbled: This new instance is a plain vanilla
    JFrame, not a class of your own or your own "form" or whatever.)

    > I pass frame to Test:
    >
    > Test tst = new Test(frame);

    Looks fine. What's the problem?

    --
    Eric Sosman

    Eric Sosman, Aug 27, 2012
  4. FredK Guest

    On Monday, August 27, 2012 7:23:58 AM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
    > When I put the folowing code into "InitComponents ()", it tells me "frame0". System.out.println ("Variable name " + this.toString());

    The first frame you create will have the name "frame0", the next one "frame1", etc. You need to give your instance a name if you want something other than "frameN":

    this.setName( "myName" );

    FredK, Aug 27, 2012