MSDN Subscriber Downloads: which version of VS2005 do I download?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by clintonG, Aug 10, 2005.

  1. clintonG

    clintonG Guest

    I've already checked out Microsoft's current build information resource [1]
    and went to the MSDN subscriber downloads. The subscriber downloads menu
    indicates two separate downloads for Visual Studio 2005...

    - Visual Studio 2005
    + Visual Studio Beta 2
    + Visual Studio 2005 Community Technology Preview

    ** Which menu section do I want to download from to obtain the latest
    Professional Edition release with no dependencies requiring Team System
    installs?

    ** I am using XP Pro. If I must download an image the includes Team System
    dependencies is it possible to install Visual Studio 2005 Professional
    without Team System?

    ** Which -- if any -- has the most complete documentation when using F1?

    ** What is the recommended procedure for installing the latest release when
    an existing 2005 release is already present?

    I don't even know what I have installed at the moment.
    The best information I can get out of my current install follows:

    Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
    Version 8.0.50215.44 (beta2.050215-4400)

    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 2.0.50215

    Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 55603-000-0000016-00616
    Microsoft Visual Basic 2005

    Microsoft Visual C# 2005 55603-000-0000016-00616
    Microsoft Visual C# 2005

    Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Office 55603-000-0000016-00616
    Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System

    Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 55603-000-0000016-00616
    Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005

    I know that's a lot of questions but I've forgotten what I thought I learned
    a couple months ago and confuse easy ;-)

    <%= Clinton Gallagher

    [1] http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/get/

    clintonG, Aug 10, 2005

  2. clintonG

    T. DAVIS JR Guest

    Community Tech Preview is the latest and greatest stuff; but not fully
    tested, so it can be buggy. I would just stick to the Beta 2 to avoid some
    issues.

    --
    T. DAVIS JR

    - .NET will change the way developers develop applications

    T. DAVIS JR, Aug 10, 2005

  3. clintonG

    clintonG Guest

    I think I have Beta 2 Standard Edition installed but I don't know how to
    confirm.

    Today I lost formatting of my C# bracing. Do you by any chance know how to
    reconfigure?

    // preferred style
    Page_PreInit
    {
    //whatever
    }

    <%= Clinton Gallagher

    clintonG, Aug 11, 2005
  4. I agree. I have installed the CTP (at least one of them) and several betas,
    and the betas have presented the least issues, as well as performing much
    better. Go figure.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Everybody picks their nose,
    But some people are better at hiding it.

    Kevin Spencer, Aug 11, 2005
  5. clintonG

    clintonG Guest

    Yea, what is the smilie for perpetually confused? ;-)

    <%= Clinton Gallagher

    clintonG, Aug 12, 2005