MSWC.ContentRotator ChooseContent crashes IIS 6.0

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Charles_B, Apr 27, 2006.

  1. Charles_B

    Charles_B Guest

    I am moving a working ASP application (not .NET) from IIS 5.0 to IIS 6.0.
    For some reason, when the ChooseContent method executes, the browser returns
    an error and the Event Log shows the following under System:

    Source: W3SVC
    Category: None
    Event ID: 1009
    unexpectedly. The process id was '1560'. The process exit code was
    '0xc0000409'.

    OR

    Source: W3SVC
    Category: None
    Event ID: 1011
    fatal communication error with the World Wide Web Publishing Service. The
    process id was '2464'. The data field contains the error number.
    Data: 0000: 6d 00 07 80 m..€

    I've gone through all the security permissions, including "Default
    Permissions and user rights for IIS 6.0" KB article (#812614) and I ran the
    Permissions Verifier in the IIS 6.0 Resource Kit.
    I am also running File Monitor and Registry Monitor, and have noted the
    following in the Registry Monitor:

    1:38:57.953 PM w3wp.exe:2772 OpenKey HKCU\MSWC.ContentRotator NOT FOUND
    1:38:57.953 PM w3wp.exe:2772 OpenKey HKCU\MSWC.ContentRotator\CLSID NOT
    FOUND
    1:38:57.953 PM w3wp.exe:2772 OpenKey HKCU\MSWC.ContentRotator\CLSID NOT
    FOUND
    1:38:57.953
    PM w3wp.exe:2772 OpenKey HKCU\CLSID\{B4E90802-B83C-11D0-8B40-00C0F00AE35A} NOT FOUND
    1:38:57.953
    PM w3wp.exe:2772 OpenKey HKCU\CLSID\{B4E90802-B83C-11D0-8B40-00C0F00AE35A}\TreatAs NOT FOUND
    1:38:57.953
    PM w3wp.exe:2772 OpenKey HKCR\CLSID\{B4E90802-B83C-11D0-8B40-00C0F00AE35A}\TreatAs NOT FOUND
    1:38:57.953 PM w3wp.exe:2772 OpenKey HKCU ACCESS DENIED WEB-DEV\IUSR_WEB-DEV
    1:38:57.953
    PM w3wp.exe:2772 OpenKey HKCU\CLSID\{B4E90802-B83C-11D0-8B40-00C0F00AE35A} NOT FOUND
    1:38:57.953
    PM w3wp.exe:2772 OpenKey HKCU\CLSID\{B4E90802-B83C-11D0-8B40-00C0F00AE35A}\TreatAs NOT FOUND
    1:38:57.953
    PM w3wp.exe:2772 OpenKey HKCR\CLSID\{B4E90802-B83C-11D0-8B40-00C0F00AE35A}\TreatAs NOT FOUND
    1:38:57.968 PM w3wp.exe:2772 OpenKey HKCU ACCESS DENIED WEB-DEV\IUSR_WEB-DEV

    Any ideas?

    Thank you,
    Charles B.
    Charles_B, Apr 27, 2006

  2. Charles_B

    Charles_B Guest

    Ok, so now I've found out that the Utility components are not installed.

    > IIS utility components not installed: Ad Rotator, Browser Capabilities, Content
    > Linker, Content Rotator, Counters, Logging Utility, My Info, Page Counter, Status,
    > and tools are not installed with IIS 6.0. However, if you upgrade your Web server
    > from a previous version of IIS, the utility components are not removed.

    http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/975bb1da-4bcf-4064-b0c7-723e45106bf51033.mspx

    Suggestions on how I can install these from somewhere else? I'd rather not
    install Windows Server 2000 and then upgrade it to Windows Server 2003 R2...
    I want to have a clean installation!

    Thanks,
    Charles B.
    Charles_B, Apr 27, 2006

  3. Charles_B

    Mike Brind Guest

    Charles_B wrote:
    > Ok, so now I've found out that the Utility components are not installed.
    >
    > > IIS utility components not installed: Ad Rotator, Browser Capabilities, Content
    > > Linker, Content Rotator, Counters, Logging Utility, My Info, Page Counter, Status,
    > > and tools are not installed with IIS 6.0. However, if you upgrade your Web server
    > > from a previous version of IIS, the utility components are not removed.

    > http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/975bb1da-4bcf-4064-b0c7-723e45106bf51033.mspx
    >
    > Suggestions on how I can install these from somewhere else? I'd rather not
    > install Windows Server 2000 and then upgrade it to Windows Server 2003 R2...
    > I want to have a clean installation!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Charles B.

    Wouldn't it be easier to create your own function to display random
    content? Loads of code samples around:

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=display random content asp -net&btnG=Search&meta=

    --
    Mike Brind
    Mike Brind, Apr 27, 2006
  4. Charles_B

    Charles_B Guest

    Well, perhaps. I also use the Ad Rotator object, and had planned to
    implement the Browser Capabilities component, too.

    But, it's also true that I'm planning to port to ASP .NET 2.0, too... and I
    assume that .NET probably has some comparable functionality to these
    components, but that's a bigger project for later this year. I was hoping to
    find a quick fix to using the MSWC components on IIS 6.0 so I can move on to
    other things.

    Thanks,
    Charles

    Charles_B, Apr 27, 2006
  5. Charles_B

    Charles_B Guest

    Ok, the plot thickens further. The dll files for Ad Rotator (adrot.dll) and
    Content Rotator (ContRot.dll) are already in system32\inetsrv. In other
    words... the files were included in IIS 6.0 after all, but not installed in a
    way that they're ready to use. Perhaps all I need to do is regsvr32 these
    dll files and they will work?

    Can anyone suggest anything else on this matter?

    Thanks
    Charles B.

    Charles_B, Apr 28, 2006
  6. Charles_B

    Mike Brind Guest

    Not sure that registering the dlls is going to be that easy a solution:

    http://cboard.cprogramming.com/archive/index.php/t-23047.html

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Apr 28, 2006