    when I reply? Must look into this...)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 4, 2006

  2. In article
    <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > MT-Newswatcher has an improved version, 3.5.1 It was specially
    > made to deal with Luigi's posts. Now he can be seen by Mac folk
    > nice and big.
    >
    > (Hey Sally, here was the fix you wanted... too late now probably
    > as you are likely happily ensconced elsewhere... and Leo, I
    > notice that Luigi's posts come up fine in my preferred but not so
    > when I reply? Must look into this...)

    I don't see the problem. Try Preferences -> Languages. Set the first
    menu/menu item to Western (Mac OS Roman), although it's probably already
    there.
    Then set the next two menu/menu items to Western (ISO Latin 1). I have
    'Use article's character set for reply' checked for what it's worth.
    Those are my settings, and I don't see the reply problem.
    I don't readily see any other settings that would be applicable, and I
    set the ones I'm mentioning long ago. Good luck, and the problem is
    solvable even if I haven't here ;-)

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Leonard Blaisdell, Jul 5, 2006

  3. In article <-sjc.supernews.net>,
    Leonard Blaisdell <> wrote:

    > I don't see the problem with other UTF-8 posters. Try Preferences -> Languages. Set the first
    > menu/menu item to Western (Mac OS Roman), although it's probably already
    > there.
    > Then set the next two menu/menu items to Western (ISO Latin 1). I have
    > 'Use article's character set for reply' checked for what it's worth.
    > Those are my settings, and I don't see the reply problem.
    > I don't readily see any other settings that would be applicable, and I
    > set the ones I'm mentioning long ago. Good luck, and the problem is
    > solvable even if I haven't here ;-)

    Well, now I see the problem. Luigi is indeed unique. I can easily read
    his text now if I choose to reply, but it's smaller than anybody else's
    using UTF-8 that I have seen. No idea why.
    But it's far more readable than it used to be in a reply situation. I'll
    do a little checking myself.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Leonard Blaisdell, Jul 5, 2006
  4. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <-sjc.supernews.net>,
    Leonard Blaisdell <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > > MT-Newswatcher has an improved version, 3.5.1 ...

    > > and Leo, I
    > > notice that Luigi's posts come up fine in my preferred but not so
    > > when I reply? Must look into this...)

    > I don't see the problem. Try Preferences -> Languages. Set the first
    > menu/menu item to Western (Mac OS Roman), although it's probably already
    > there.
    > Then set the next two menu/menu items to Western (ISO Latin 1). I have
    > 'Use article's character set for reply' checked for what it's worth.
    > Those are my settings, and I don't see the reply problem.
    > I don't readily see any other settings that would be applicable, and I
    > set the ones I'm mentioning long ago. Good luck, and the problem is
    > solvable even if I haven't here ;-)
    >
    > leo

    Well, I have the exact conscious settings you have and when I hit
    command R (reply) to Luigi, it is different to normal. I looked
    at this reply and hit control with click and chose "Compose as"
    and it was set - hard to believe - as "Japanese (Mac OS)" which I
    changed to "Western (Mac OS Roman)" which did the trick for that
    particular reply (the other way is to decode the original post as
    I used to and the reply follows suit auto). Fun and games on my
    machine eh? I will look a bit deeper into it later... might have
    to trash prefs and stuff... At least the new version has this
    advantage: I do not have to do anything to read the post well
    (and not reply). Perhaps it is a message from my minders to not
    talk so much.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 5, 2006
  5. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <-sjc.supernews.net>,
    Leonard Blaisdell <> wrote:

    > In article <-sjc.supernews.net>,
    > Leonard Blaisdell <> wrote:
    > Well, now I see the problem. Luigi is indeed unique. I can easily read
    > his text now if I choose to reply, but it's smaller than anybody else's
    > using UTF-8 that I have seen. No idea why.
    > But it's far more readable than it used to be in a reply situation. I'll
    > do a little checking myself.
    >
    > leo

    Ah, so it is unique to him eh? Well, if TI or Els ever feel they
    wanna say anything further to alt.html, we can test it on them...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 5, 2006
  6. On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 22:49:31 +0100, dorayme wrote
    (in article <>):

    > MT-Newswatcher has an improved version, 3.5.1 It was specially
    > made to deal with Luigi's posts. Now he can be seen by Mac folk
    > nice and big.

    An improvement? <g>

    > (Hey Sally, here was the fix you wanted... too late now probably
    > as you are likely happily ensconced elsewhere... and Leo, I
    > notice that Luigi's posts come up fine in my preferred but not so
    > when I reply? Must look into this...)

    But, but, you mean I should switch my newsreader back just so I can reply to
    Luigi? That would certainly need a lot of thought. Too hot here to think at
    all.

    --
    Sally in Shropshire, UK
    http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

    Sally Thompson, Jul 5, 2006
  7. On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 03:55:38 +0100, Leonard Blaisdell wrote
    (in article <-sjc.supernews.net>):

    > In article <-sjc.supernews.net>,
    > Leonard Blaisdell <> wrote:
    >
    >> I don't see the problem with other UTF-8 posters. Try Preferences ->
    >> Languages.

    <snip>

    > Well, now I see the problem. Luigi is indeed unique.

    I had noticed :)

    Sally Thompson, Jul 5, 2006
  8. Sally Thompson wrote:
    > On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 22:49:31 +0100, dorayme wrote (in article
    > <>):
    >
    >> MT-Newswatcher has an improved version, 3.5.1 It was specially made
    >> to deal with Luigi's posts. Now he can be seen by Mac folk nice and
    >> big.

    > An improvement? <g>
    >
    >> (Hey Sally, here was the fix you wanted... too late now probably as
    >> you are likely happily ensconced elsewhere... and Leo, I notice that
    >> Luigi's posts come up fine in my preferred but not so when I reply?
    >> Must look into this...)

    > But, but, you mean I should switch my newsreader back just so I can
    > reply to Luigi? That would certainly need a lot of thought. Too hot
    > here to think at all.

    I have at least six news clients installed -- want to just borrow one of
    mine? I wouldn't need it back right away. :)

    (Yeah, I collect 'em like some people collect browsers.)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 5, 2006
  9. In article <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > Sally Thompson wrote:
    > > On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 22:49:31 +0100, dorayme wrote (in article
    > > <>):

    > > But, but, you mean I should switch my newsreader back just so I can
    > > reply to Luigi? That would certainly need a lot of thought. Too hot
    > > here to think at all.

    > I have at least six news clients installed -- want to just borrow one of
    > mine? I wouldn't need it back right away. :)
    >
    > (Yeah, I collect 'em like some people collect browsers.)

    Wrong OS, I suspect. Otherwise tell me about your collection. I have a
    lot of browsers but only three newsreaders in OSX. One is MT-Newswatcher
    in the GUI and the others are slrn and tin in terminal. I had to
    download slrn.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Leonard Blaisdell, Jul 5, 2006
  10. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Sally Thompson <> wrote:

    > Too hot here to think at
    > all.

    Now that is not the Engeland I remember...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 5, 2006
  11. On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 08:51:07 +0100, Blinky the Shark wrote
    (in article <>):

    > Sally Thompson wrote:
    >> On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 22:49:31 +0100, dorayme wrote (in article
    >> <>):
    >>
    >>> MT-Newswatcher has an improved version, 3.5.1 It was specially made
    >>> to deal with Luigi's posts. Now he can be seen by Mac folk nice and
    >>> big.

    >> An improvement? <g>
    >>
    >>> (Hey Sally, here was the fix you wanted... too late now probably as
    >>> you are likely happily ensconced elsewhere... and Leo, I notice that
    >>> Luigi's posts come up fine in my preferred but not so when I reply?
    >>> Must look into this...)

    >> But, but, you mean I should switch my newsreader back just so I can
    >> reply to Luigi? That would certainly need a lot of thought. Too hot
    >> here to think at all.

    > I have at least six news clients installed -- want to just borrow one of
    > mine? I wouldn't need it back right away. :)
    >
    > (Yeah, I collect 'em like some people collect browsers.)

    OK, I'll rise to the bait <ouch!>. I too collect browsers, but why would you
    collect news clients?

    Sally Thompson, Jul 5, 2006
  12. On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 10:43:37 +0100, dorayme wrote
    (in article <>):

    > In article
    > <>,
    > Sally Thompson <> wrote:
    >
    >> Too hot here to think at
    >> all.

    > Now that is not the Engeland I remember...

    We're in the middle of a heat wave atm. Probably autumn next week.

    Sally Thompson, Jul 5, 2006
  13. Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >> Sally Thompson wrote:
    >> > On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 22:49:31 +0100, dorayme wrote (in article
    >> > <>):

    >> > But, but, you mean I should switch my newsreader back just so I can
    >> > reply to Luigi? That would certainly need a lot of thought. Too hot
    >> > here to think at all.

    >> I have at least six news clients installed -- want to just borrow one of
    >> mine? I wouldn't need it back right away. :)
    >>
    >> (Yeah, I collect 'em like some people collect browsers.)

    > Wrong OS, I suspect. Otherwise tell me about your collection. I have a

    Oh, yeah...no, I don't Mac.

    But slrn, Xnews, Dialog, Pan, Knode and Thunderbird, right now, in
    roughly decreasing order of preference. These are spread across
    Mandriva Linux, SUSE Linux, Win 2K and Win XP.

    > lot of browsers but only three newsreaders in OSX. One is MT-Newswatcher
    > in the GUI and the others are slrn and tin in terminal. I had to
    > download slrn.

    I've got a university shell account where I've tried pine, but it's
    mail-only and not set up for news; and surprisingly it doesn't offer tin
    at all.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 5, 2006
  14. Sally Thompson wrote:
    > On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 08:51:07 +0100, Blinky the Shark wrote (in article
    > <>):
    >
    >> Sally Thompson wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 22:49:31 +0100, dorayme wrote (in article
    >>> <>):

    >>> An improvement? <g>

    >>> But, but, you mean I should switch my newsreader back just so I can
    >>> reply to Luigi? That would certainly need a lot of thought. Too
    >>> hot here to think at all.

    >> I have at least six news clients installed -- want to just borrow one
    >> of mine? I wouldn't need it back right away. :)
    >>
    >> (Yeah, I collect 'em like some people collect browsers.)

    > OK, I'll rise to the bait <ouch!>. I too collect browsers, but why
    > would you collect news clients?

    I dig news clients.[1] :) And I'm a reg at news.software.readers,
    where being fluent in more apps makes me more useful.

    [1]And I think that of all the kinds of software that's out there, for
    all the tasks, I'm fussiest about news clients.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 5, 2006
  15. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > But slrn, Xnews, Dialog, Pan, Knode and Thunderbird, right now, in
    > roughly decreasing order of preference. These are spread across
    > Mandriva Linux, SUSE Linux, Win 2K and Win XP.
    >
    > > lot of browsers but only three newsreaders in OSX. One is MT-Newswatcher
    > > in the GUI and the others are slrn and tin in terminal. I had to
    > > download slrn.

    > I've got a university shell account where I've tried pine, but it's
    > mail-only and not set up for news; and surprisingly it doesn't offer tin
    > at all.
    >

    > --
    > Blinky

    .... you know you have really weird hobbies!

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 5, 2006
  16. dorayme

    jojo Guest

    Sally Thompson schrieb:
    > On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 10:43:37 +0100, dorayme wrote
    > (in article <>):
    >
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> Sally Thompson <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Too hot here to think at
    >>> all.

    >> Now that is not the Engeland I remember...
    >>

    > We're in the middle of a heat wave atm. Probably autumn next week.

    So what temperature do you have? Over 30°C here in Germany...

    jojo, Jul 6, 2006
  17. jojo wrote:
    > Sally Thompson schrieb:
    >> On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 10:43:37 +0100, dorayme wrote (in article
    >> <>):

    >>> Now that is not the Engeland I remember...
    >>>

    >> We're in the middle of a heat wave atm. Probably autumn next week.
    >>

    > So what temperature do you have? Over 30°C here in Germany...

    We just had a week or more over here in Los Angeles, where the valley in
    which I live saw about 39C every day.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 6, 2006
  18. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > We just had a week or more over here in Los Angeles, where the valley in
    > which I live saw about 39C every day.

    That is altogether too hot... it is bad for the brain... all the
    big discoveries have been made in cooler climes...

    When I really really have to think (and it is a frightening thing
    to behold), I wear a special head cool pack I designed myself...
    psst... interested in one at a discount rate just till the end of
    the week?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 6, 2006
  19. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>, Blinky the
    > Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >> We just had a week or more over here in Los Angeles, where the valley
    >> in which I live saw about 39C every day.

    > That is altogether too hot... it is bad for the brain... all the big
    > discoveries have been made in cooler climes...

    I fully agree -- in June and July, that's too damned hot. It's to be
    expected here for perhaps three or four weeks in August and September,
    but it was *really* a bitch having half of June that way and July start
    out with it too. Too hot too early! June is usually a pleasant month
    with morning overcast (June Gloom) probably caused by marine influences,
    and sunny, warm afternoons. That was not so this year; we wuz robbed!

    > When I really really have to think (and it is a frightening thing to
    > behold), I wear a special head cool pack I designed myself...

    Oh, you just did that to disguise the tin foil. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 6, 2006
  20. On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 00:11:15 +0100, jojo wrote
    (in article <e8hguj$e28$>):

    > Sally Thompson schrieb:
    >> On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 10:43:37 +0100, dorayme wrote
    >> (in article
    >> <>):
    >>
    >>> In article
    >>> <>,

    >>> Now that is not the Engeland I remember...
    >>>

    >> We're in the middle of a heat wave atm. Probably autumn next week.
    >>

    > So what temperature do you have? Over 30°C here in Germany...

    Well it's cooler today here, at last, but has been over 30°C here too, and
    reached 33 or 34 some days. Very high humidity as well, so you just melt if
    you are out in the sun. It makes it difficult to get anything done outside
    although we have fans going inside.

    Sally Thompson, Jul 6, 2006