MT-Newswatcher new version

dorayme

MT-Newswatcher has an improved version, 3.5.1 It was specially
made to deal with Luigi's posts. Now he can be seen by Mac folk
nice and big.

(Hey Sally, here was the fix you wanted... too late now probably
as you are likely happily ensconced elsewhere... and Leo, I
notice that Luigi's posts come up fine in my preferred but not so
when I reply? Must look into this...)

Leonard Blaisdell

dorayme said:
MT-Newswatcher has an improved version, 3.5.1 It was specially
made to deal with Luigi's posts. Now he can be seen by Mac folk
nice and big.

(Hey Sally, here was the fix you wanted... too late now probably
as you are likely happily ensconced elsewhere... and Leo, I
notice that Luigi's posts come up fine in my preferred but not so
when I reply? Must look into this...)

I don't see the problem. Try Preferences -> Languages. Set the first
menu/menu item to Western (Mac OS Roman), although it's probably already
there.
Then set the next two menu/menu items to Western (ISO Latin 1). I have
'Use article's character set for reply' checked for what it's worth.
Those are my settings, and I don't see the reply problem.
I don't readily see any other settings that would be applicable, and I
set the ones I'm mentioning long ago. Good luck, and the problem is
solvable even if I haven't here ;-)

leo

Leonard Blaisdell

Leonard Blaisdell said:
I don't see the problem with other UTF-8 posters. Try Preferences -> Languages. Set the first
menu/menu item to Western (Mac OS Roman), although it's probably already
there.
Then set the next two menu/menu items to Western (ISO Latin 1). I have
'Use article's character set for reply' checked for what it's worth.
Those are my settings, and I don't see the reply problem.
I don't readily see any other settings that would be applicable, and I
set the ones I'm mentioning long ago. Good luck, and the problem is
solvable even if I haven't here ;-)

Well, now I see the problem. Luigi is indeed unique. I can easily read
his text now if I choose to reply, but it's smaller than anybody else's
using UTF-8 that I have seen. No idea why.
But it's far more readable than it used to be in a reply situation. I'll
do a little checking myself.

leo

dorayme

Leonard Blaisdell said:
I don't see the problem. Try Preferences -> Languages. Set the first
menu/menu item to Western (Mac OS Roman), although it's probably already
there.
Then set the next two menu/menu items to Western (ISO Latin 1). I have
'Use article's character set for reply' checked for what it's worth.
Those are my settings, and I don't see the reply problem.
I don't readily see any other settings that would be applicable, and I
set the ones I'm mentioning long ago. Good luck, and the problem is
solvable even if I haven't here ;-)

leo

Well, I have the exact conscious settings you have and when I hit
command R (reply) to Luigi, it is different to normal. I looked
at this reply and hit control with click and chose "Compose as"
and it was set - hard to believe - as "Japanese (Mac OS)" which I
changed to "Western (Mac OS Roman)" which did the trick for that
particular reply (the other way is to decode the original post as
I used to and the reply follows suit auto). Fun and games on my
machine eh? I will look a bit deeper into it later... might have
to trash prefs and stuff... At least the new version has this
advantage: I do not have to do anything to read the post well
(and not reply). Perhaps it is a message from my minders to not
talk so much.

dorayme

Leonard Blaisdell said:
Well, now I see the problem. Luigi is indeed unique. I can easily read
his text now if I choose to reply, but it's smaller than anybody else's
using UTF-8 that I have seen. No idea why.
But it's far more readable than it used to be in a reply situation. I'll
do a little checking myself.

leo

Ah, so it is unique to him eh? Well, if TI or Els ever feel they
wanna say anything further to alt.html, we can test it on them...

Sally Thompson

An improvement? said:
(Hey Sally, here was the fix you wanted... too late now probably
as you are likely happily ensconced elsewhere... and Leo, I
notice that Luigi's posts come up fine in my preferred but not so
when I reply? Must look into this...)

But, but, you mean I should switch my newsreader back just so I can reply to
Luigi? That would certainly need a lot of thought. Too hot here to think at
all.

Blinky the Shark

Sally said:
But, but, you mean I should switch my newsreader back just so I can
reply to Luigi? That would certainly need a lot of thought. Too hot
here to think at all.

I have at least six news clients installed -- want to just borrow one of
mine? I wouldn't need it back right away. :)

(Yeah, I collect 'em like some people collect browsers.)

Leonard Blaisdell

Blinky the Shark said:
I have at least six news clients installed -- want to just borrow one of
mine? I wouldn't need it back right away. :)

(Yeah, I collect 'em like some people collect browsers.)

Wrong OS, I suspect. Otherwise tell me about your collection. I have a
lot of browsers but only three newsreaders in OSX. One is MT-Newswatcher
in the GUI and the others are slrn and tin in terminal. I had to
download slrn.

leo

Sally Thompson

I have at least six news clients installed -- want to just borrow one of
mine? I wouldn't need it back right away. :)

(Yeah, I collect 'em like some people collect browsers.)

OK, I'll rise to the bait <ouch!>. I too collect browsers, but why would you
collect news clients?

Blinky the Shark

Leonard said:
Wrong OS, I suspect. Otherwise tell me about your collection. I have a

Oh, yeah...no, I don't Mac.

But slrn, Xnews, Dialog, Pan, Knode and Thunderbird, right now, in
roughly decreasing order of preference. These are spread across
Mandriva Linux, SUSE Linux, Win 2K and Win XP.
lot of browsers but only three newsreaders in OSX. One is MT-Newswatcher
in the GUI and the others are slrn and tin in terminal. I had to
download slrn.

I've got a university shell account where I've tried pine, but it's
mail-only and not set up for news; and surprisingly it doesn't offer tin
at all.

Blinky the Shark

Sally said:
OK, I'll rise to the bait <ouch!>. I too collect browsers, but why
would you collect news clients?

I dig news clients.[1] :) And I'm a reg at news.software.readers,
where being fluent in more apps makes me more useful.

[1]And I think that of all the kinds of software that's out there, for
all the tasks, I'm fussiest about news clients.

dorayme

Blinky the Shark said:
But slrn, Xnews, Dialog, Pan, Knode and Thunderbird, right now, in
roughly decreasing order of preference. These are spread across
Mandriva Linux, SUSE Linux, Win 2K and Win XP.

I've got a university shell account where I've tried pine, but it's
mail-only and not set up for news; and surprisingly it doesn't offer tin
at all.

.... you know you have really weird hobbies!

Blinky the Shark

jojo said:
So what temperature do you have? Over 30°C here in Germany...

We just had a week or more over here in Los Angeles, where the valley in
which I live saw about 39C every day.

dorayme

Blinky the Shark said:
We just had a week or more over here in Los Angeles, where the valley in
which I live saw about 39C every day.

That is altogether too hot... it is bad for the brain... all the
big discoveries have been made in cooler climes...

When I really really have to think (and it is a frightening thing
to behold), I wear a special head cool pack I designed myself...
psst... interested in one at a discount rate just till the end of
the week?

Blinky the Shark

dorayme said:
That is altogether too hot... it is bad for the brain... all the big
discoveries have been made in cooler climes...

I fully agree -- in June and July, that's too damned hot. It's to be
expected here for perhaps three or four weeks in August and September,
but it was *really* a bitch having half of June that way and July start
out with it too. Too hot too early! June is usually a pleasant month
with morning overcast (June Gloom) probably caused by marine influences,
and sunny, warm afternoons. That was not so this year; we wuz robbed!
When I really really have to think (and it is a frightening thing to
behold), I wear a special head cool pack I designed myself...

Oh, you just did that to disguise the tin foil. :)

Sally Thompson

So what temperature do you have? Over 30°C here in Germany...

Well it's cooler today here, at last, but has been over 30°C here too, and
reached 33 or 34 some days. Very high humidity as well, so you just melt if
you are out in the sun. It makes it difficult to get anything done outside
although we have fans going inside.