    to position to the first character beginning with B, then the first item
    beginning with A, then to the first item beginning with C.

    Thanks in advance.

    Michael Satterwhite, Feb 5, 2007

  2. Scripsit Michael Satterwhite:

    > Does anyone have some ideas on how to put a multi-character dropdown
    > box on a form?

    Pardon?
    <select>
    <option>several characters</option>
    </select>

    > Example: If I'm in the combo (dropdown) box and type "BAC", I want it
    > to position to the first item that begins with "BAC".

    Well, that's a completely different issue, is it not? You wish to affect the
    _behavior_.

    The short answer is that you cannot. The longer answer is that you cannot
    and you should analyze what made you want such a behavior. You probably have
    too complex a menu. For an analysis, a URL would be needed.

    There might be some way of using client-side scripting to create such
    behavior, but it's probably not worth the effort and users would not know
    about it, since that's not how forms generally work. If you try to explain
    the behavior on your page, users will waste more time reading it than using
    any simple method to find the option they want.

    > The default
    > behavior is to position to the first character beginning with B, then
    > the first item beginning with A, then to the first item beginning
    > with C.

    Well, that's just what many browsers do. There's no specification on such
    behavior.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/