Multiple IHttpHandlerFactory Implementations Active At Once

Jordan S.

I'm just wondering if it's possible to have multiple HttpHandlerFactory
classes active at once in an ASP.NET 3.5 app.

In particular, I want for the "built-in" HttpHandlerFactory that ships with
ASP.NET to service .aspx requests.

I separately want for another HttpHandlerFactory that I write to service a
SUBSET of those requests.

I do plan to implement custom URL Rewriting (via custom http module that I
add to the pipeline for begin_request) so that all incoming requests could
arrive for .aspx pages, then based on my URL Rewriting logic, be translated
into another extension.

So the end result would be that after URL Rewriting (per my custom logic),
..aspx page requests are routed to ASP.NET's HttpHandlerFacotory. Then,
separately, all .xyz page requests (where .xyz is my custom "flag"
extension) get routed to my custom IHttpHandlerFactory implementation.

Questions:
1. Would the above work? (i.e., UrlRewriting separates all aspx requests
into both .aspx and .xyz requests... which are subsequently serviced by
different HttpHandlerFactory classes)?

2. Is there perhaps a better way to achieve the objective of having multiple
HttpHandlerFactories active at once (meaning for a given application, even
though obviously not for any one specific request).

Thanks!