Multiple JFrame

kandy71

Hi,
I try to develop my first graphical interface with java.
Since I need to use an application with different input windows, I need
to open these windows deciding with a menu when I need them. I would
like to know if my approach is corret.
I open for every windows a new jframe, however, I believe the it is not
the right way since all the frame are not connected and the do not
depend from the main frame.
Any suggestion?

IchBin

Hi,
I try to develop my first graphical interface with java.
Since I need to use an application with different input windows, I need
to open these windows deciding with a menu when I need them. I would
like to know if my approach is corret.
I open for every windows a new jframe, however, I believe the it is not
the right way since all the frame are not connected and the do not
depend from the main frame.
Any suggestion?

You want to have one JFrame and then you can open JDialogs from the
JFrame making them model. When you display a JDialog the first parameter
is the reference to the Calling JFrame.

Look at the JDialog api. You may even be able to use JOptionPane.

Article on JDialogs:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/components/dialog.html

Dialog API:
http://ozark.hendrix.edu/linux/docs/java-5-api/java/awt/Dialog.html
JOptionPane API:
http://ozark.hendrix.edu/linux/docs/java-5-api/javax/swing/JOptionPane.html

--
Thanks in Advance...

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Andrew Thompson

IchBin said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote: ... .....
You want to have one JFrame and then you can open JDialogs from the
JFrame making them model.

Right concept, but a typo., that should be 'modal'.

The OP might also look into JOptionPane.showInputDialog()

Andrew T.