    For you, what is the best way to deal with a multi-step form in
    ASP.NET? What are the importants things to do / to avoid ...etc ?

    Thanks
    fragmonster, Sep 22, 2004

  2. fragmonster

    Josh Guest

    I wouldn't bother with user controls unless you intend to reuse them
    elsewhere.

    In this situation I would create a holding <Table> with a seperate <TR>
    group for each section. Make the <TR>'s runat server and give them IDs,
    then you can make the <TR>'s visible, invisible as required.

    Doing it this way keeps all of the controls you need in one place , utilises
    viewstate to persist the data from one section to another, and for
    maintenance you only have one place to look for the entire dialog.

    Hope that helps
    Josh, Sep 22, 2004

  3. fragmonster

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    You can use the session state to store the record information until the end
    then commit it

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    Curt_C [MVP], Sep 22, 2004
  4. Hi,

    When I have to do multiple steps and only need to post the data at the end I
    usually develop each step in a div and put them all on the same page. That
    way the user never has to wait for each new step to appear after a server
    postback. Once they finish one step, hide that div and show the next one.
    The first couple times it is a bit complicated to code. But once you build
    sort of a system they are pretty easy to put together and your users will
    appreciate how quickly the system responds. Good luck! Ken.

    --
    Ken Dopierala Jr.
    For great .Net web hosting try:

    Ken Dopierala Jr., Sep 22, 2004
  5. Visual Studio 2005 has an interesting solution called a MultiView.
    Have a look at that if you have the beta release of 2005. If you
    don't, then looking at the docs will give you the idea. I like their
    solution because, like you, I have tried the same approaches you've
    used in my applications. If you have the time, it's definately worth
    the time to write something like a MultiView if you are not using
    2005. Why not get a decompiler and try to look at what they are doing
    and try to re-write that in 2003.

    sayed

    Sayed Hashimi, Sep 22, 2004
  6. fragmonster

    fragmonster Guest

    Thank you all. I will document myself on "Multiview". I will retain
    the <tr runat="server"> of Josh and the Session strategy of Curt_C.

    To be more precise, I need to do a postBack between each step because
    I have some validator to Validate() (required and custom validators)
    that's why the <div> strategy of Ken Dopierala Jr. does not seem to be
    the best way.
    fragmonster, Sep 23, 2004