Must manually attach to ASPNET_WP process to debug ASP.NET code

Chris Conrad

We're using Visual Studio 2003 .NET (C#) on Windows XP Pro SP2. We have a
smart client (WinForms) application that calls an ASP.NET web service. On one
of our machines, setting a breakpoint in the web service code will cause the
debugger to automatically break when the web service is called from our
client (or even a web browser). However, on two of our machines, the
breakpoints are never hit unless we do the following in Visual Studio:

1) Select Debug / Processes...
2) Highlight the ASPNET_WP.EXE process
3) Click Attach...
4) Make sure CLR and Native are checked
5) Click OK and wait about 20 seconds
6) Click Close

Now it'll break inside the web project... but Visual Studio starts getting
really unstable at this point. Usually within 10 or 15 minutes the whole
thing crashes and you have to start over, reopen the solution, and reattach
to the process.

All three machines have identical software configurations... XPSP2 Pro with
all hotfixes. Framework is v1.1.4322 SP1 (latest). Both the web service (IIS)
and the client reside on the same machine in all three cases. We suspect a
configuration issue because it breaks automatically on one of the machines.
All projects have the "debug asp.net" configuration property set to True. Any
suggestions?