aspnet_wp process suddenly takes 99% of CPU...

Guest

Hi,

I am trying to debug an asp.net application problem: From time to time, the
aspnet_wp process running on our web server suddenly goes up to 99% of CPU
usage and since the app supports may users, we can't see what causing it.
When that happens, all the users will experience an extramly slow response
time (5 mintues or longer per page). But if I wait long enough, it will come
back by itself.

I am really having a hard time debugging this. All it tells me is that
aspnet_wp process consumes all the CPU time. But that aspnet_wp contains
everything - all the components in our application. The only thing I can tell
is that it all caused by our application, since we don't have other .Net apps
on the same web srever machine.

Can anyone tell me how to go about debugging this?

Thanks a million!

Feng

Bruce Barker

this is why its important to add instrumentation to your app, so you can
monitor its performance. design a logging system, and log time & cpu usage
at known points.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)