My experience of installing RMagick on windows

Irfan Ahmad

Hi
I am trying to install RMagick 2.1.0 on Windows XP. I already have
installed the required version of ImageMagick. Here are the steps I
adopted.

1. I tried the command "gem install rmagick", I got this error message

checking for Ruby version >= 1.8.2... yes
checking for stdint.h... no
checking for sys/types.h... no
checking for magick/MagickCore.h... no
Can't install RMagick 2.0.0. Can't find MagickCore.h.

*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

2. I checked the "extconf.rb" file and I was astonished to see that the
path for ImageMagick and Ruby were hard coded. This is really a very bad
piece of coding.

$CPPFLAGS = %Q{-I"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Platform SDK for
Windows Server 2003 R2\\Include" -I"C:\\Program
Files\\ImageMagick-#{$1}-Q8\\include"}
# The /link option is required by the Makefile but causes warnings in
the mkmf.log file.
$LDFLAGS = %Q{/link /LIBPATH:"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Platform
SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\\Lib" /LIBPATH:"C:\\Program
Files\\ImageMagick-#{$1}-Q8\\lib" /LIBPATH:"C:\\ruby\\lib"}
$LOCAL_LIBS = 'CORE_RL_magick_.lib X11.lib'

3. I do not have ImageMagick and Ruby on these paths so I changed the
paths and tried to run the extconf.rb file manually. But it gave me the
same error.

Can someone please help me installing RMagick for windows?

Thanks,

Tim Hunter

Irfan said:
[...]

http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-faq.html#win

This is the first result on Google for rmagick+install+windows

Irfan Ahmad

Tim said:
http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-faq.html#win

This is the first result on Google for rmagick+install+windows

Thanks for your response. I did had lot of googling before posting here
and I have checked this page too. But I think these FAQs are a bit
outdated. RMagick no longer come as a package of ImageMagick and RMagick
gem. They are distributing the RMagick gem only. Please have a look at
it.

Tim Hunter

Irfan said:
Thanks for your response. I did had lot of googling before posting here
and I have checked this page too. But I think these FAQs are a bit
outdated. RMagick no longer come as a package of ImageMagick and RMagick
gem. They are distributing the RMagick gem only. Please have a look at
it.

"They" is me. The FAQ pages are up to date as of the last time I
uploaded an gem for Windows, about 3 weeks ago.

There are two RMagick gems, the plain RMagick gem for Linux, OS X, and
other *nix-type systems, and the RMagick-win32 gem for Windows. The
RMagick-win32 gem comes in a zip file that contains both the ImageMagick
installer and the RMagick gem. Download the zip file, unzip it into a
temporary directory, and follow the instructions in the README.html
file. It'll work, I promise. Download

http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/30125/RMagick-2.0.0-ImageMagick-6.3.7-8-Q8.zip

if you want to install RMagick 2.0.0, or

http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/29861/RMagick-1.15.12-ImageMagick-6.3.7-8-Q8.zip

if you want to install RMagick 1.15.12. I believe you'll want 2.0.0.

Irfan Ahmad

Tim said:
"They" is me. The FAQ pages are up to date as of the last time I
uploaded an gem for Windows, about 3 weeks ago.

There are two RMagick gems, the plain RMagick gem for Linux, OS X, and
other *nix-type systems, and the RMagick-win32 gem for Windows. The
RMagick-win32 gem comes in a zip file that contains both the ImageMagick
installer and the RMagick gem. Download the zip file, unzip it into a
temporary directory, and follow the instructions in the README.html
file. It'll work, I promise. Download

http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/30125/RMagick-2.0.0-ImageMagick-6.3.7-8-Q8.zip

if you want to install RMagick 2.0.0, or

http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/29861/RMagick-1.15.12-ImageMagick-6.3.7-8-Q8.zip

if you want to install RMagick 1.15.12. I believe you'll want 2.0.0.

I have installed 2.0.0 successfully. Thank you very much :)

They problem was probably that I was trying to install 2.1.0 for my
already installed ImageMagick.