    looking for any information you all may have on the subject, website
    links, modules etc.

    Bill H

    Bill H, May 9, 2008

  2. Bill H

    Ted Zlatanov Guest

    On Fri, 9 May 2008 06:18:14 -0700 (PDT) Bill H <> wrote:

    BH> I am about to dive into working with MySQL databases in perl and am
    BH> looking for any information you all may have on the subject, website
    BH> links, modules etc.

    It depends on what you want to do. If you need high-volume stuff or
    complex queries, learn MySQL well before you start with Perl. If you
    are doing normal usage or don't care to write SQL by hand, get
    Rose::DB::Object from CPAN and it will automate 95% of your database
    interactions, plus it will work on most other DBI-compatible databases.

    Ted

    Ted Zlatanov, May 9, 2008

  3. Bill H

    Guest

    Bill H <> wrote:
    > I am about to dive into working with MySQL databases in perl and am
    > looking for any information you all may have on the subject, website
    > links, modules etc.

    What do you already know about MySQL and Perl? What I mostly used
    was:

    "MySQL" by Paul DuBois
    perldoc DBI
    perldoc DBD::mysql

    And I found them mostly satisfactory.

    Xho

    this fact.

    , May 9, 2008
  4. Bill H

    cartercc Guest

    On May 9, 9:18 am, Bill H <> wrote:
    > I am about to dive into working with MySQL databases in perl and am
    > looking for any information you all may have on the subject, website
    > links, modules etc.
    >
    > Bill H

    Dubois wrote two books, one on MySQL and one on Perl and MySQL. The
    one on Perl and MySQL is outstanding. I bought it years ago and am
    still reading it. Yeah, it's that helpful.

    On the database, look at PostgreSQL. It's far superior to MySQL, and
    you can use Perl as the PL. It has far more in common with DB2 and
    Oracle than with MySQL. I've used MySQL for about ten years and
    PostgreSQL for almost four, and have had ample opportunity to compare
    them side by side, and PostgreSQL is by far the superior product.

    The big selling point for MySQL is speed, but there really isn't a
    difference. I suppose if you get into big, industrial sized databases
    MySQL may have a speed advantage, but if you are into big, industrial
    sized databases, you won't be using MySQL.

    CC

    cartercc, May 9, 2008
  5. Bill H

    Guest

    cartercc <> wrote:

    > The big selling point for MySQL is speed, but there really isn't a
    > difference.

    To me the biggest selling point of MySQL is simplicity, not speed. But
    the speed is nice.

    > I suppose if you get into big, industrial sized databases
    > MySQL may have a speed advantage, but if you are into big, industrial
    > sized databases, you won't be using MySQL.

    I use MySQL for big, industrial sized databases. I also use Oracle for
    other big, industrial sized databases. Horses for courses.

    Xho

    this fact.

    , May 9, 2008
  6. Bill H

    cartercc Guest

    On May 9, 2:27 pm, wrote:
    > To me the biggest selling point of MySQL is simplicity, not speed. But
    > the speed is nice.

    Simplicity is in the eye of the beholder. One reason I like PGSQL is
    because of its simplicity. When you use MySQL, you have all the
    databases in the same server. When you use PGSQL, each database is in
    its own server. Log into MySQL and you can see all the other
    databases. You can't do that with PGSQL.

    > I use MySQL for big, industrial sized databases. I also use Oracle for
    > other big, industrial sized databases. Horses for courses.

    Depends on what you mean by 'big, industrial size.' Last time I
    checked, which was a couple of versions ago, PGSQL could hold a lot
    more data than MySQL. May have changed and I haven't looked at it
    recently, but PGSQL also does subselects, user defined datatypes and
    user defined functions. PGSQL also has an array datatype, which is
    real nifty if you ever have to struggle with data that can't be
    normalized.

    Don't get me wrong. I like MySQL and am a long time user of MySQL. I
    just like PGSQL better. I also like vi better than emacs, Perl better
    than Python, and Windows better than Mac, so chalk this up to merely
    personal preference.

    CC

    cartercc, May 9, 2008