    anyone who has made it can they maybe post why they had to do to get it
    to actually compile?

    Zach
    Zach Dennis, Oct 26, 2005

  2. Zach Dennis

    Park Heesob Guest

    Hi,

    >From: Zach Dennis <>
    >To: (ruby-talk ML)
    >Subject: MySQL Ruby On Windows , Why?
    >Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 02:44:51 +0900
    >
    >Why does making the mysql-ruby .so suck so bad on windows? And for anyone
    >who has made it can they maybe post why they had to do to get it to
    >actually compile?

    Do you mean my posting
    http://groups.google.co.kr/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/6b3a305604ee2299
    It should be http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/161578
    But why not archived?

    I belive the mysql-ruby-win package was compiled with fastcall option.
    Therefore the find_library checking for 'mysql_query' function is failed
    with argument error.
    The same to 'mysql_ssl_set' function.
    So I change 'mysql_query' to 'mysql_reconnect' and remove 'mysql_ssl_set'
    checking.

    Regards,

    Park Heesob
    Park Heesob, Oct 27, 2005

  3. Zach Dennis

    zdennis Guest

    Park Heesob wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    >> From: Zach Dennis <>
    >> To: (ruby-talk ML)
    >> Subject: MySQL Ruby On Windows , Why?
    >> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 02:44:51 +0900
    >>
    >> Why does making the mysql-ruby .so suck so bad on windows? And for
    >> anyone who has made it can they maybe post why they had to do to get
    >> it to actually compile?
    >>

    > Do you mean my posting
    > http://groups.google.co.kr/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/6b3a305604ee2299
    > It should be http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/161578
    > But why not archived?
    >
    > I belive the mysql-ruby-win package was compiled with fastcall option.
    > Therefore the find_library checking for 'mysql_query' function is failed
    > with argument error.
    > The same to 'mysql_ssl_set' function.
    > So I change 'mysql_query' to 'mysql_reconnect' and remove
    > 'mysql_ssl_set' checking.

    Thank you Park for responding. Tomorrow when I get to the office I am
    going to try to recompile following your previous post, and this last
    post. With any luck I am going to throw it up on a few different spots
    on the web so perhaps it will get out there a bit more.

    And yes, I wish your message was archived, but I could not get to it via
    the following:
    http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/161578

    Thanks again,

    Zach
    zdennis, Oct 27, 2005
  4. Zach Dennis

    Zach Dennis Guest

    zdennis wrote:
    > Park Heesob wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >>> From: Zach Dennis <>
    >>> To: (ruby-talk ML)
    >>> Subject: MySQL Ruby On Windows , Why?
    >>> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 02:44:51 +0900
    >>>
    >>> Why does making the mysql-ruby .so suck so bad on windows? And for
    >>> anyone who has made it can they maybe post why they had to do to get
    >>> it to actually compile?
    >>>

    >> Do you mean my posting
    >> http://groups.google.co.kr/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/6b3a305604ee2299
    >> It should be
    >> http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/161578
    >> But why not archived?
    >>
    >> I belive the mysql-ruby-win package was compiled with fastcall option.
    >> Therefore the find_library checking for 'mysql_query' function is
    >> failed with argument error.
    >> The same to 'mysql_ssl_set' function.
    >> So I change 'mysql_query' to 'mysql_reconnect' and remove
    >> 'mysql_ssl_set' checking.
    >>

    > Thank you Park for responding. Tomorrow when I get to the office I am
    > going to try to recompile following your previous post, and this last
    > post. With any luck I am going to throw it up on a few different spots
    > on the web so perhaps it will get out there a bit more.

    I am running Windows 2k. I tried the solution that worked for you on
    Windows XP but I still get...

    ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-include="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL
    Server 4.1\include" --with-mysql-lib="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL
    Server 4.1\lib\opt"

    checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
    checking for main() in m.lib... yes
    checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
    checking for main() in z.lib... no
    checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
    checking for main() in socket.lib... no
    checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
    checking for main() in nsl.lib... no
    checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no

    I have verified the location of my lib files and my include files, but
    no go. Perhaps I will just download your binary =)

    Zach
    Zach Dennis, Oct 27, 2005
  5. Zach Dennis

    Park Heesob Guest

    Hi,

    >From: Zach Dennis <>
    >To: (ruby-talk ML)
    >Subject: Re: MySQL Ruby On Windows , Why?
    >Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:56:36 +0900
    >
    >zdennis wrote:
    >>Park Heesob wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,

    >>>Do you mean my posting
    >>>http://groups.google.co.kr/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/6b3a305604ee2299
    >>>It should be
    >>>http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/161578
    >>>But why not archived?
    >>>
    >>>I belive the mysql-ruby-win package was compiled with fastcall option.
    >>>Therefore the find_library checking for 'mysql_query' function is failed
    >>>with argument error.
    >>>The same to 'mysql_ssl_set' function.
    >>>So I change 'mysql_query' to 'mysql_reconnect' and remove 'mysql_ssl_set'
    >>>checking.
    >>>

    >>Thank you Park for responding. Tomorrow when I get to the office I am
    >>going to try to recompile following your previous post, and this last
    >>post. With any luck I am going to throw it up on a few different spots on
    >>the web so perhaps it will get out there a bit more.

    >I am running Windows 2k. I tried the solution that worked for you on
    >Windows XP but I still get...
    >
    >ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-include="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server
    >4.1\include" --with-mysql-lib="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server
    >4.1\lib\opt"
    >
    >checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
    >checking for main() in m.lib... yes
    >checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
    >checking for main() in z.lib... no
    >checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
    >checking for main() in socket.lib... no
    >checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
    >checking for main() in nsl.lib... no
    >checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
    >
    >I have verified the location of my lib files and my include files, but no
    >go. Perhaps I will just download your binary =)

    Didn't you remove the line
    libs = ['m', 'z', 'socket', 'nsl']
    from extconf.rb ?
    Please try with the same patched extconf.rb as in my previous post.

    Regards,

    Park Heesob
    Park Heesob, Oct 27, 2005
  6. Zach Dennis

    Zach Dennis Guest

    Park Heesob wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    >> From: Zach Dennis <>
    >> To: (ruby-talk ML)
    >> Subject: Re: MySQL Ruby On Windows , Why?
    >> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:56:36 +0900
    >>
    >> zdennis wrote:

    >>> Thank you Park for responding. Tomorrow when I get to the office I am
    >>> going to try to recompile following your previous post, and this last
    >>> post. With any luck I am going to throw it up on a few different
    >>> spots on the web so perhaps it will get out there a bit more.

    >> I am running Windows 2k. I tried the solution that worked for you on
    >> Windows XP but I still get...
    >>
    >> ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-include="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL
    >> Server 4.1\include" --with-mysql-lib="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL
    >> Server 4.1\lib\opt"
    >>
    >> checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
    >> checking for main() in m.lib... yes
    >> checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
    >> checking for main() in z.lib... no
    >> checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
    >> checking for main() in socket.lib... no
    >> checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
    >> checking for main() in nsl.lib... no
    >> checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
    >>
    >> I have verified the location of my lib files and my include files, but
    >> no go. Perhaps I will just download your binary =)
    >>

    > Didn't you remove the line
    > libs = ['m', 'z', 'socket', 'nsl']
    > from extconf.rb ?
    > Please try with the same patched extconf.rb as in my previous post.

    Using your patch from the google group posting, I get:

    checking for mysql_query() in mysqlclient.lib... no
    extconf.rb:14: undefined method `empty?' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)

    This is because your patch removes the "libs = [ ...]" line, but you
    don't affect the the other lines that refer to the libs array...

    any more thoughts? (Could you paste your Makefile?)

    Thanks,

    Zach
    Zach Dennis, Oct 27, 2005
  7. Zach Dennis

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    ------=_Part_4346_15399786.1130445722117

    Zach, I'm following this thread closely. I gave up trying to make the
    extension for InstantRails and just ended up using Park's precompiled
    version. But I eventually want to be able to build it myself, I just don't
    have the time right now.

    So, please do (when you've got it all figured out) post a set of coherent
    instructions. I will be forever in your debt (and Park's, too)!

    Curt

    Curt Hibbs, Oct 27, 2005
  8. Zach Dennis

    Zach Dennis Guest

    Curt Hibbs wrote:
    > Zach, I'm following this thread closely. I gave up trying to make the
    > extension for InstantRails and just ended up using Park's precompiled
    > version. But I eventually want to be able to build it myself, I just don't
    > have the time right now.

    Curt,

    What versions of MySQL are you running? Park's precompiled doesn't work
    on my system with MySQL 4.1.15. I can require 'mysql' and all, but
    whenever I try to actually use it, I get crazy errors about control
    characters in my code.

    Zach
    Zach Dennis, Oct 27, 2005