MySQL Tomcat settings

H.L

I have had a lot of problems connecting to a MySQL database with a
Java web start program running on a Tomcat server. The program makes use
of the com.mysql.jdbc.Driver package downloaded from the URL
www.mysql.com/products/connector/j . The software is being developed in
Netbeans 5.5.1.

Can anyone with experience of this situation tell what I need to modify
in the different files and/or programs? I have tried several of the
suggestions turning up from repeated web searches, but none of them have
opened up the database over Tomcat. It seems to be a matter of adding
entries to some of the server's xml files . The Tomcat web server
administration interface has not started up for me.

It should be noted that it has been impossible to change from a general
project to a Tomcat project in Netbeans.

Regards.

Chris ( Val )

I have had a lot of problems connecting to a MySQL database with a
Java web start program running on a Tomcat server. The program makes use
of the com.mysql.jdbc.Driver package downloaded from the URLwww.mysql.com/products/connector/j. The software is being developed in
Netbeans 5.5.1.

Can anyone with experience of this situation tell what I need to modify
in the different files and/or programs? I have tried several of the
suggestions turning up from repeated web searches, but none of them have
opened up the database over Tomcat. It seems to be a matter of adding
entries to some of the server's xml files . The Tomcat web server
administration interface has not started up for me.

It should be noted that it has been impossible to change from a general
project to a Tomcat project in Netbeans.

Have you tried setting Tomcat according to:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html
?

My first test would be to ensure that the driver is properly
installed, tested
and working (vi a servlet or JSP), prior to mucking about with Java
web start
and Netbeans, etc...