    any comments appreciated,
    thanks,
    Andrey

    Andrey Romanenko, Sep 30, 2004

  2. On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:35:54 +0300, Andrey Romanenko wrote:
    > The question is: which process communication mechanism should I use
    > to gain maximum performance?

    I think you'll find that a socket provides sufficient performance for
    virtually any logging requirements, especially when server and clients
    run on the same host. A socket has the added advantage over named
    pipes that you can run the log server on a separate host from the
    clients that will use it, and you can easily support multiple clients
    simultaneously.

    > Is there way to use named pipes with java?

    Named pipes appear as files in the filesystem, and can be opened and
    read or written using the same mechanisms as ordinary files (e.g.
    FileInputStream, etc). It's true on Unix, and I have heard anecdotal
    evidence of the same on windows.

    There are existing logging libraries for Java that already do what you
    are planning to implement.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Sep 30, 2004

  3. thanks for answer,

    Gordon Beaton wrote:
    > There are existing logging libraries for Java that already do what you
    > are planning to implement.

    what exactly do you mean?

    thanks,

    Andrey

    Andrey Romanenko, Oct 4, 2004
  4. On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:00:45 +0300, Andrey Romanenko wrote:
    > thanks for answer,
    >
    > Gordon Beaton wrote:
    >> There are existing logging libraries for Java that already do what you
    >> are planning to implement.

    > what exactly do you mean?

    For example, log4j lets you specify any of a number of different log
    targets including "console, files, remote socket servers, JMS, NT
    Event Loggers and remote Unix Syslog Daemons". I believe that the
    stuff in java.util.logging also lets you specify a log target in a
    similar manner.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Oct 4, 2004