IPC mechanism Named Pipes or windows messages or sthg else ?

Discussion in 'C++' started by piyush, Jul 14, 2004.

  1. piyush

    piyush Guest

    I am in the process of deciding the IPC mechanisms to use for
    communication between

    1) An application API (which would be set up as a NT service). It
    could be C++ or C#. The API as such might be talking to the
    underlying application (UA) via WM_COPYDATA messages.

    2) A top level application (TLA) that would use the API to drive the
    UA. The application is quite low level dealing with
    telephony. The UA will pass up "async events" to the TLAs as well.

    I must write the API and support an IPC that would give the TLA
    developer the maximum flexibility in terms of languages
    (VB.NET, C#, C++, Java). I might not want to worry about Scripting
    languages here.

    I had suggestions for MsgConnect but I have been advised by my Boss to
    get things going without any commercial products.

    The determining factors could be
    1) both the TLA and the UA with its API would be on the SAME machine
    always.
    2) TLA and UA are different processes.
    3) The data being exchanged is not much, almost always just a phone
    number "STRING". The phone number cannot be passed as a long integer
    LParam in windows messages and there could be more than one number as
    well. So may be a string is best, or even a struct.
    4) No need of security

    5) Maximum flexibility of language choice and least work / simplest
    IPC mechanism for the TLA developer.
    6) The API might need to support WM_COPYDATA style windows or custom
    messages to talk to the UA.

    I have been looking at / been advised to look at
    i) Windows messages - They have the advantage of handling sort of
    "async event" message delivery right away and also it seems to extend
    the WM_COPYDATA communication between the API and the application.

    But, given that the TLA and the API are different process spaces, does
    this mechanim need a memory area accessible by both the processes (say
    by FileMappingObject etc) ? When using WM_COPYDATA ? When using custom
    messages ?
    If yes, then to me it seems that windows messages are not a preferable
    mechanim at all (as it again needs shared memory !)
    when talking between different processes.

    ii) Named pipes - Thought they seem to go well for the case, I have to
    support windows messages based communication
    between the API and the UA. Also, how good is this mechanism from
    the perspective of a TLA developer ?

    Any help is greatly appreciated. I am in urgent need to find the right
    mechanism.

    Thanks !
    piyush, Jul 14, 2004

  2. "piyush" <> wrote in message
    > I am in the process of deciding the IPC mechanisms to use for
    > communication between
    >
    > 1) An application API (which would be set up as a NT service). It
    > could be C++ or C#. The API as such might be talking to the
    > underlying application (UA) via WM_COPYDATA messages.
    >
    > 2) A top level application (TLA) that would use the API to drive the
    > UA. The application is quite low level dealing with
    > telephony. The UA will pass up "async events" to the TLAs as well.

    Try news:comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 for Windows programming
    questions, you are off topic here.

    This groups welcome message, http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

    John
    John Harrison, Jul 14, 2004