Windows Services

Larry

Hi,

I am a newcomer to VC++ (specifically programming on Microsoft
platforms); and I have a very basic question about windows services.

Using Windows Services mechanism is it possible to develop some
application whereby I can have some kind of client-server type of
communication. Let's say I have two machines A and B; with B acting
as server on which I am running some windows service and A acting as
client which requests to windows service running on B. I need to
send/receive messages between these two machines and let's assume
that message size may exceed several KB's.

Can this be done by pure Windows service API and without use of any
kind of TCP-IP/Socket programming?

Thanks
Larry

Ondra Holub

Larry napsal:
Hi,

I am a newcomer to VC++ (specifically programming on Microsoft
platforms); and I have a very basic question about windows services.

Using Windows Services mechanism is it possible to develop some
application whereby I can have some kind of client-server type of
communication. Let's say I have two machines A and B; with B acting
as server on which I am running some windows service and A acting as
client which requests to windows service running on B. I need to
send/receive messages between these two machines and let's assume
that message size may exceed several KB's.

Can this be done by pure Windows service API and without use of any
kind of TCP-IP/Socket programming?

Thanks
Larry

Hi.

It is off topic here. Your question is Windows specific problem, please
post it in relevant forum.

Ondra

Larry

Thanks for suggestion Ondra ...

After quite a bit of searching I was able to zero in only on this
group; as I feel this is the only one where I will be able to get
at-least some idea about possible solution. Hopefully VC++ experts on
forum would be able to throw some light on it.

Larry

Salt_Peter

[Please don't Top Post - rearranged inline]
Thanks for suggestion Ondra ...

After quite a bit of searching I was able to zero in only on this
group; as I feel this is the only one where I will be able to get
at-least some idea about possible solution. Hopefully VC++ experts on
forum would be able to throw some light on it.

The solution you seek can only be one involving Windows.
Thats off-topic here.
Doesn't it make sense to ask a newsgroup that deals with that very
issue on that particular platform?

Consult the list at:
[5.9] Which newsgroup should I post my questions?
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html

Howard

Please don't top-post. I've re-arranged it below.

And please check this group's FAQ, esp. section 5, at:
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/
After quite a bit of searching I was able to zero in only on this
group; as I feel this is the only one where I will be able to get
at-least some idea about possible solution. Hopefully VC++ experts on
forum would be able to throw some light on it.

We discuss only C++ language-related issues here. Some of us use VC++, but
we don't discuss specifics of that compiler (or Windows-specific issues).

Check out the Microsoft server's groups at msnews.microsoft.com. Or, try a
Google search for something like "windows services vc", and see what groups
have posted responses about the subject in the past.

-Howard

David

Hello Larry,

Hi,

I am a newcomer to VC++ (specifically programming on Microsoft
platforms); and I have a very basic question about windows services.

Using Windows Services mechanism is it possible to develop some
application whereby I can have some kind of client-server type of
communication. Let's say I have two machines A and B; with B acting
as server on which I am running some windows service and A acting as
client which requests to windows service running on B. I need to
send/receive messages between these two machines and let's assume
that message size may exceed several KB's.

Can this be done by pure Windows service API and without use of any
kind of TCP-IP/Socket programming?

Thanks
Larry

In case you haven't found what you've been looking for, Windows
Services are best described as "processes that don't require
a user and likely provide a service for other components."
They aren't anything special. Under linux a service is just
a background task. Windows Services provide an extremely
limited communication mechanism. TCP/IP or similar
communications are much easier to work with.

Just think of creating a console application that communicates
and then figuring out the Windows Magic required to become
a Windows NT Service.

David