native compiler for java on aix

sristeve

Hello,
I would like to know if IBM has a native compiler for java on aix.
If there any benchmarks for that compiler in relation to the jit, that
would be great.
I am writing CGI programs in java that reside on a apache server.
I am looking to reduce the time taken for the execution of these CGI
java programs.
I am also worried at the no of processes that would be created for each
hit to the page.
( A page calls one CGI java program)

Any ideas appreciated

Daniel Dyer

Hello,
I would like to know if IBM has a native compiler for java on aix.
If there any benchmarks for that compiler in relation to the jit, that
would be great.

You'd have to ask IBM about that.
I am writing CGI programs in java that reside on a apache server.
I am looking to reduce the time taken for the execution of these CGI
java programs.

The problem is almost certainly the overhead of the JVM start-up for each
invocation. It would probably be much more profitable to convert the Java
apps to servlets running in Tomcat or similar. Tomcat will integrate
nicely with Apache and servlets will be much more responsive than
stand-alone Java apps.
I am also worried at the no of processes that would be created for each
hit to the page.
( A page calls one CGI java program)

Any ideas appreciated

Try to avoid CGI if at all possible.

Dan.

Chris Uppal

I am writing CGI programs in java that reside on a apache server.
I am looking to reduce the time taken for the execution of these CGI
java programs.

I doubt whether CGI is a good idea for any reasonably high throughput site.
Java just makes a bad technology worse. You might have better luck with
FastCGI.

http://www.fastcgi.com/

-- chris

Roedy Green

I am writing CGI programs in java that reside on a apache server.
I am looking to reduce the time taken for the execution of these CGI
java programs.

I presume you mean Servlets, not actual old-style CGI where you launch
a program for every transaction.

To speed them up you could:

1. natively compile your server. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/aot.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jet.html

2. use the -server option

3. look into alternate high speed wombs, see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/servletwomb.html
which may even come with their own JVM like Bea does.

4. profile to find out what in particular is eating up the time and
work on optimising that. See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/profiler.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/optimising.html

High servlet speed si likely to come mainly from a smarter womb, not
just on with a faster JNM.