    Mike Judkins
    Web Developer
    Plantronics, Inc.
    Mike Judkins, Nov 29, 2004

  2. Mike Judkins

    Joris Gillis Guest

    Hi,

    > I'm looking for examples of websites (preferably large and well known
    > companies, not personal sites or developer-to-developer sites) that
    > use XML and XSLT as a technology platform from which to store and
    > render web content.

    I've never encountered such a website that has any notion of XML, or any W3C standard. Either I don't look in the right places, or they don't exist. But that shouldn't withhold your company from making the leap; someone has to be the first...

    > Reason being that we are considering migrating our website content to
    > XML and using XSLT to transform the content into html.
    > Currently lack of browser support for XSLT has held us back.

    You should consider server-side XSLT. That eleminates the browser problem and preserves indexing of search engines like Google.

    regards,

    Ceterum censeo XML omnibus esse utendum
    Joris Gillis, Nov 29, 2004

  3. Mike Judkins

    John Fereira Guest

    (Mike Judkins) wrote in

    > I'm looking for examples of websites (preferably large and well known
    > companies, not personal sites or developer-to-developer sites) that
    > use XML and XSLT as a technology platform from which to store and
    > render web content.
    >
    > Reason being that we are considering migrating our website content to
    > XML and using XSLT to transform the content into html. Currently lack
    > of browser support for XSLT has held us back.

    That's only a problem if you rely on the browser to perform the
    transformation. Most sites that use XML and XSLT perform the transformation
    to html at the server end just send html to the browser.

    > For example a
    > significant percent of our browser audience is still on EI 5.0-5.01
    > which does not have full support for the W3C XSLT standard. But it
    > seems the time may soon be ripe for adoption of XSLT. Solid examples
    > are needed to sell the case (or not) for using XSLT in our next site
    > upgrade.

    You might want to take a look at uPortal. It's not a commercial web site
    but it's been implemented at a large number of institutions, has source code
    that you can freely look at, including numerous xsl files that may be used
    as examples. Check it out at http://www.uportal.org
    John Fereira, Nov 29, 2004
  4. Mike Judkins

    Guest

    The Linux Documentation Project uses XML to produce all the HOWTOs and
    Guides. They currently use OpenJade to to convert the document from
    DocBook XML to HTML. But this is an off-line processs.

    However I am pushing for on-the-fly transformation of DocBook XML to
    HTML using Cocoon or similar . Here is a site that uses Cocoon to
    perform on-the-fly transformation of XML content to HTML
    http://tools.tldp.org/HOWTOS/

    Due to the lack/inconsistency of XSLT support in browsers, your best
    option to perform the XML -> HTML transformation on the server side
    using Cocoon, AxKit, PHP or something similar.

    In Peace,
    Saqib Ali
    http://tools.tldp.org/search.php <--- Search Linux Howtos
    , Nov 29, 2004
  5. Mike Judkins

    Mike Judkins Guest

    Just spent the afternoon researching and for sure, server side is
    becoming the obvious choice if implementing XML/XSLT CMS strategy. I
    only got 1 of 4 modern day browsers to work with a client side
    example. Thanks!

    Mike Judkins, Nov 30, 2004
  6. Mike Judkins

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 29 Nov 2004 10:33:32 -0800, (Mike Judkins)
    wrote:

    >I'm looking for examples of websites (preferably large and well known
    >companies, not personal sites or developer-to-developer sites)

    Just from my own personal experience

    http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/

    http://goodwoodworking.co.uk/

    These are two sites hosted on one large XSLT-based CMS for a magazine
    company. They needed a single solution for a wide range of titles, and
    also the ability to share content between places:
    http://www.futurenet.com/crossstitc...agetypeid=2&subsectionid=1933&articleid=32991
    (as a slightly contrived example)

    As with anything, you need to work out what you want before you ask
    for it. Every time I talk CMS to a client they have a different view
    of what it's about. For some it's content management (i.e. just teh
    raw body text). For others it's about flexible page design and
    re-design. In a few it's about the site - simple pages, but a great
    many of them needing a large network of navigation.

    >Currently lack of browser support for XSLT has held us back.

    It shouldn't do - you can basically ignore client-side XSLT. The
    transformation to HTML takes place on the server.

    This is _not_ an easy thing to build. You should buy in some past
    experience of XSLT content management (don't look at me, I'm in the
    UK). If you do it wrong it will probably work - but the server load
    will be high, site performance poor, and the maintainability of your
    site will be minimal.
    Andy Dingley, Nov 30, 2004