need help for this project......

Discussion in 'XML' started by MK, Mar 2, 2007.

  1. MK

    MK Guest

    Hello,
    I am new to XML and PERL and I have a few questions the answers to
    which I need to complete a project. All your time and effort would be
    highly appreciated. I have to make a small HTML page which would take
    in as input the state code, of the 50 states belonging to the Unites
    States of America. After the user enters the two letter code and
    presses the "GO" button, a *.xsd file is parsed to retrieve
    information about the entire state name from the two letter code
    inputted by the user. The *.xsd file has more than 50 states and the
    other states need to be omitted while validation. Then the PERL script
    fetches data from the T-Mobile website about the state inputted by the
    user and makes an XML file from the fetched data. Thus the PERl script
    will scrape data from the T-Mobile web page to an XML file. Till this
    point I cannot use any XML parsers or PERL libraries and all this has
    to be coded using some other logic. The user should then see another
    web page which will have two more links to another pages. One script
    should invoke another page which will have 4 drop down menus each of
    which will become active one by one using Javascript functions and
    then i can retrieve particular information about different places
    (e.g. airport, starbucks etc) choosing different locations and
    different places from the created XML file. For this part I can use
    PERL libararies and PERL DOM. Can someone please help me or guide me
    to a tutorial that tells me the following things:

    (1) Parse through an xsd file and capture information from it. (e.g.
    if user enters "CA" then from xsd file it should make "CA" to
    "California" )

    (2) After CA changes to California send that information to a T-Mobile
    website and fetch all data corresponding to California.

    (3) Make an XML file of only the address and phone number tags from
    the fetched data.

    (4) Tutorials on step 2 and step 3 would be more on Data Scraping...

    (5) Make a webpage having 4 drop down menus but only first one active
    and the others becoming active after a selection is made in the forst
    drop down menu. (implementation usgin JavaScript)

    I highly appreciate all your time and help for this question....
    Thanks a lot ......

    MK, Mar 2, 2007

  2. STFW...

    Joe Kesselman, Mar 2, 2007

  3. MK

    Peter Flynn Guest

    MK wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am new to XML and PERL

    I'd go and learn both of them thoroughly first, before tackling a live
    project. Learning on-the-job is fine, but there's really way too much
    to learn here if you're trying to write live code at the same time.

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/

    Peter Flynn, Mar 4, 2007