Need Help in generating PPT file in ASP .NET

Chenna Sudarsan

Hello all,

I have a typical problem in deploying my ASP .NET application (code behind
is VB .NET).

I am generating a power point presentation (ppt file) in my application.

Program is running absolutely fine on my test server. (Win 2000 server with
office 2003 and dot net 1.1 frame work)

It is ending up in error when I deploy the application on my production
server (Win 2000 server with office 97 and dot net 1.1 frame work)

Error that is being displayed is

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80080005): Server execution
failed at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly) at
System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic) at
System.Web.HttpServerUtility.CreateObject(String progID) at
MiPET.StatusReport.CreatePPTReport()

I am creating the instance of power point using

Dim loPPTApp as Object

loPPTApp = Server.CreateObject("PowerPoint.Application")

If I Use

Dim loPPTApp as Object

loPPTApp = CreateObject("PowerPoint.Application")

I am getting the below error

System.Exception: Cannot create ActiveX component. at
Microsoft.VisualBasic.Interaction.CreateObject(String ProgId, String
ServerName) at MiPET.StatusReport.CreatePPTReport()

Another point is on my production server I am able to generate the power
point presentation in ASP (Active Server Pages).

I have given Read and Execute permissions to the folder where office is
installed (Both on test server and production server).

I have also set the permissions using DCOMCNFG (Both on test server and
production server).

Could anyone please let me know the steps to be done to generate power point
presentation on my production server in ASP .NET ?

Regards

Sudarsan Chenna

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]