Help! Can't create ASP.NET project

dw

Please help some desperate developers!! We need to create an ASP.NET project
via VS.NET 2003 on a networked Win 2003 server that we use for testing, but
it keeps generating an error:

"The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
open the Web project located at the following URL:..... HTTP/1.1 500
Internal Server Error."

People have said Frontpage Server Extensions (FPSE) have to be on that
server; however, our server admin doesn't want FPSE on our Web server for
security reasons. We can't use LOCALHOST because we develop our apps on
central test and production boxes. At this point, people in my department
are ready to give up on .NET development because of this reason. Are there
any alternatives to FPSE? Any workarounds? PLEASE HELP -- Thank you much in
advance.

Guest

It's a bit difficult to develop web apps on a server like that ... especially
with a restrictive admin.

If it's that critical (.NET or no .NET), just meet 'em half way and go sans
VS.NET. Remember, it's only a tool ... develop all your classes and business
logic locally, push the DLLs to the bin folder, and use your existing tool
(Dreamweaver, EditPlus, Notepad) to pound out ASP.NET.

Not ideal, but sure as hell better than doing ASP only. If you get the rest
of your team hooked, I'm sure you'll be able to get a server to develop on.

-- Alex Papadimoulis

dw

We had a meeting and they've decided to keep using ASP until ASP.NET 2.0
comes out. Then, depending on whether the issue of the Frontpage extensions
is resolved or not, they will determine if we'll be using that technology.

As for building .NET using something other than Visual Studio: One of the
reasons our development team wanted to use ASP.NET was the features of
Visual Studio .NET. Now the only way is to use a backdoor approach. I have
Dreamweaver, which is an excellent tool, but others in the department don't
have it. So until Microsoft uncouples FPSE from Visual Studio, we won't be
doing any ASP.NET.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

You could map a drive on the server and work through the file system.

dw

How would you accomplish this? I thought when you create ASP.NET projects in
Visual Studio, you have to give it an HTTP address and not a network path.
Any light you can shed on this will be deeply appreciated. Thank you much.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

1. Map a drive (say x:) on the remote server to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\myproject
.. You'll need to have sufficient permissions as a user on the remote
machine - this is the hard part - try to be part of the same domain on each
machine.
2. On the local machine, In IIS Manager, create a virtual directory called
myproject and set the file location as x:\myproject.
3. Create a VS.NET project on http://localhost/myproject . The files will be
written to x:\myproject .
4. Develop your application using VS.NET on your machine. You can view the
pages on http://localhost/myproject or on http://servername/myproject .

On the remote server, you'll need to use IIS Manager to create myproject as
a Web Application.

Let us know if it works for you?

Ken

dw

Thank you, Ken and Martin. I'm going to try this hopefully this afternoon
and post my results. It is much appreciated :)

dw

Ken, I got it working, but I'm getting this error when I try to view the
page in the browser,

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'sga_test.Global'.

Source Error:

Line 1: <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb"
Inherits="sga_test.Global" %>

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Make sure the Web is configured as an Application. You may need to do a
Remove and Create in IIS Manager.

Make sure that your output is going to the correct /bin directory:

1. Right-click on the project name.
2. Got to Configuration Properties > Build
3. Check the Output path value is pointing to the right place.

Let us know?

Ken

dw

Thanks, Ken. I'll check and let you know.

Ken Cox said:
Make sure the Web is configured as an Application. You may need to do a
Remove and Create in IIS Manager.

Make sure that your output is going to the correct /bin directory:

1. Right-click on the project name.
2. Got to Configuration Properties > Build
3. Check the Output path value is pointing to the right place.

Let us know?

Ken

Juan T. Llibre

dw

Thank you, Juan and Ken. I'll delete the entire app from our server and
re-create it to see if I'll have better luck. Is there a way to compile an
ASP.NET app written in VB.NET from the command prompt? You think that might
resolve this issue? Thanks -- and thank you for all the answers you've been
patiently providing to me; it's much appreciated :)

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Yes, you can compile using the command line. It will be something like this:

vbc /t:library /r:System.dll,System.Data.dll,System.Web.dll mycodebehind.vb

You may need to add more references depending on what's in your code.

Ken

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

dw,
WHen you use code behind files .net framework expects that your
application
will have a dll file in your /bind directory. So when you try to start
the
application .net framework throw this exception because it can not found
the
needed files

So you have to rebuild your application and check ( just to be sure )
that
your .dll file is in the /bin directory
Hope it helps
Patrick

dw

Ken, when I run the command line compiler on the server at its command
prompt, I get an error: "'vbc' is not recognized as an internal or external
command, operable program or batch file."