Help! Can't create a web app!

trey

I am getting the following error when trying to create a new web application with Visual Studio 2003:

Visual Studio could not identify the version of Asp.Net on the web server.The web server reported the following error when attempting to
create of open the web project located at the following URL:'http://localhost/webapplication1'.'HTTP/1.1 401 Access Denied'.

Did a google on this error and found some things to try, and this is what I have done to try and resolve this issue:
1.) Repaired the framework
2.) Uninstalled/reinstalled IIS
3.) Ran aspnet_regiis /i to re-register asp.net.

Still getting the error! Can someone please help! I am at my witts end.

Thanks!

Steve B.

Is there a web.config file in your web app? if yes, can you paste the
content here ?

Also verify that the application pool is corrrect (windows 2003 server) and
check for errors in the event lo.

Steve

OJ

I am getting the following error when trying to create a new web application with Visual Studio 2003:

Visual Studio could not identify the version of Asp.Net on the web server.The web server reported the following error when attempting to
create of open the web project located at the following URL:'http://localhost/webapplication1'.'HTTP/1.1401 Access Denied'.

Did a google on this error and found some things to try, and this is what I have done to try and resolve this issue:
1.) Repaired the framework
2.) Uninstalled/reinstalled IIS
3.) Ran aspnet_regiis /i to re-register asp.net.

Still getting the error! Can someone please help! I am at my witts end.

Thanks!

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final
Web @http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

er...which version of the framework?

Guest

I am getting the following error when trying to create a new web application with Visual Studio 2003:

Visual Studio could not identify the version of Asp.Net on the web server.The web server reported the following error when attempting to
create of open the web project located at the following URL:'http://localhost/webapplication1'.'HTTP/1.1401 Access Denied'.

Did a google on this error and found some things to try, and this is what I have done to try and resolve this issue:
1.) Repaired the framework
2.) Uninstalled/reinstalled IIS
3.) Ran aspnet_regiis /i to re-register asp.net.

Still getting the error! Can someone please help! I am at my witts end.

Thanks!

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final
Web @http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

It seems, the server does not have permissions configured on the
folder where the application has to be created. Check if you have the
correct permissions for the folder where 'http://localhost' is located.

trey

version 1.1.4322. Everything was working well just last week. Any help would be greatly appreciated

trey

Thx for the reply. I know this may sound a little, but exactly what privleges do I need to give to what account? So far, I have given full
control (Just for problem resolution testing, not for production stuff!!) to IUSR, IWAN, ASPNET, VS Developers, VS Debuggers, Admins to both
the inetpub and wwwroot folders. What gives? What am I missing? Thanks for the help!!!

OJ

I am getting the following error when trying to create a new web application with Visual Studio 2003:

Visual Studio could not identify the version of Asp.Net on the web server.The web server reported the following error when attempting to
create of open the web project located at the following URL:'http://localhost/webapplication1'.'HTTP/1.1401 Access Denied'.

Did a google on this error and found some things to try, and this is what I have done to try and resolve this issue:
1.) Repaired the framework
2.) Uninstalled/reinstalled IIS
3.) Ran aspnet_regiis /i to re-register asp.net.

Still getting the error! Can someone please help! I am at my witts end.

Thanks!

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final
Web @http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Are you running aspnet_regiis -i from the correct framework folder?

OJ

OJ

Yes, windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final
Web @http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Hi,
are you using Win XP/IIS5.1? If so, open IIS, select the default
website, right-click->properties. ASP.NET tab...what version there?

OJ

trey

Hi,
are you using Win XP/IIS5.1? If so, open IIS, select the default
website, right-click->properties. ASP.NET tab...what version there?

OJ,

Yes, using winxp, iis5.1. However, when I select the default website and r-click, I do not see an asp.net tab!

what gives? Thx!

trey

Yes, using winxp, iis5.1. However, when I select the default website and r-click, I do not see an asp.net tab!
what gives? Thx!

One more thing: When I go to IE and attempt to bring up a web app I had previously created, I get the dreaded page that states:

You are not authorized to view this page. However, I can open an html only file just fine!

I can't figure this out! I am almost certain I have given all appropriate permissions. Can someone please help!!

Thanks

Guest

are you using Win XP/IIS5.1? If so, open IIS, select the default
website, right-click->properties. ASP.NET tab...what version there?

ASP.NET tab does not appear on the Web Site Properties pages if .NET
2.0 is not installed.

trey

ASP.NET tab does not appear on the Web Site Properties pages if .NET
2.0 is not installed.

Yes, but I am not using asp.net 2.0. VS 2003, asp.net 1.1.

Okay, here's a newer development: When I am given the error (from the 1st post), I clicked OK to continue and VS.net does indeed let me
create the web app. However, when I attempt to debug the app, I get the following error message:

"Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. You do not have permissions to debug the server. Verify that
you are a member of the "Debugger Users" group on the sever."

I have made just about every dadgum account on the system part of the debugger users group, and I still get the error.

Any idea of what's going on here???

Guest

Thx for the reply. I know this may sound a little, but exactly what privleges do I need to give to what account? So far, I have given full
control (Just for problem resolution testing, not for production stuff!!) to IUSR, IWAN, ASPNET, VS Developers, VS Debuggers, Admins to both
the inetpub and wwwroot folders. What gives? What am I missing? Thanks for the help!!!

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final
Web @http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

The System Group should have Full Control
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/33487zw6.aspx

Guest

Yes, but I am not using asp.net 2.0. VS 2003, asp.net 1.1.

I know, it was in reply to OJ

Okay, here's a newer development: When I am given the error (from the 1st post), I clicked OK to continue and VS.net does indeed let me
create the web app. However, when I attempt to debug the app, I get the following error message:

"Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. You do not have permissions to debug the server. Verify that
you are a member of the "Debugger Users" group on the sever."

I have made just about every dadgum account on the system part of the debugger users group, and I still get the error.

Any idea of what's going on here???

If you didn't create the site, you cannot debug it, right? :)

I think there is something wrong with permissions. Did you try to
create a virtual directory in IIS by yourself? Just to test if it's
working... What site do you get accessing the http://localhost ?

trey

If you didn't create the site, you cannot debug it, right? :)
I think there is something wrong with permissions. Did you try to
create a virtual directory in IIS by yourself? Just to test if it's
working... What site do you get accessing the http://localhost ?

Okay, I pointed the default website's home directory to a directory I created under \inetpub\wwwroot and placed a simple index.html file in
there. Pointed the browser to localhost, and viola! it worked. And, IIS lets me create a virtual directory, but then what? Thanks for the
help!!

trey

Try that with an .aspx file.

Okay. Pointed my default website to \inetput\wwwroot\webapp1. Restarted iis and tried localhost. Got "You are not authorized to view this
page".

What now?? THanks!!