Need help refreshing a datagrid client side

msnews

Hi --

I'm very, very new to ASP.Net, and I've been trying for several days to
figure out how to update a datagrid AND refresh it on the client side so
that the page doesn't refresh. I've torn my code apart over and over each
time I tried what I thought would be the code that would solve my problem.

Maybe I'm going down the completely wrong path here. Essentially,
here is an explanation of my ASP.NET webform application and what I
want it to do:

Employees add how much time they spend on a job, and then that
information is added to a SQL database and displayed in a datagrid.
I've got everything working on the client side (we are using an AJAX
approach), except the refreshing
of the datagrid.

When the page loads and/or when a new record is added, I want the
datagrid to update (without the page refreshing). The information
that is returned is in XML format, and I somehow have to get it into
the datagrid.

Here's one record of the XML that is returned into variable
oResult.value:

"<ROOT><NewDataSet>
<ActivityHistory>
<ActivityID>312</ActivityID>
<CustomerName>Test</CustomerName>
<Description>312-Development</Description>
<ActivityDate>2005-08-10T00:00:00.0000000-05:00</ActivityDate>
<ReferenceCode>J-1007</ReferenceCode>
<Minutes>15.00</Minutes>
</ActivityHistory>
</NewDataSet></ROOT>"

But for a given period of time, there will be several of these
ActivityHistory records.

Below is the function I have so far (sorry about the wrapping), but as I
said, I could be going
down a completely wrong path. I would greatly appreciate if any of
you have corrections for my code or if you have ideas/suggestions for
a different/better way to do this (since my way doesn't work,
anything would be better). Yes, I'm a newbie, and I'm just
not "getting" this at all. I have no idea what to do now that
nothing has worked thus far.

function LoadTable()
{

var Employee = document.getElementById
("_ctl1__ctl0_ddlEmployee").value;
var StartDate = document.getElementById
("_ctl1__ctl0_TextStartDate").value;
var EndDate = document.getElementById
("_ctl1__ctl0_TextEndDate").value;

// Update the xml island with the employee history
information
var oResult = Methods.EmployeeActivity(Employee,
StartDate, EndDate);

var xmlDoc=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM");
xmlDoc.async=false;
xmlDoc.load("activityhistory.xml");

var loaded = xmlDoc.loadXML(oResult.value);
if (loaded) {
var xslDoc=new ActiveXObject
("Microsoft.XMLDOM");
xslDoc.async=false;
xslDoc.load("ActivityHistoryStyle.xsl");
document.getElementById
("Table1Inner").innerHTML = xmlDoc.transformNode(xslDoc);

Thanks!

Lucas Tam

msnews said:
I'm very, very new to ASP.Net, and I've been trying for several days to
figure out how to update a datagrid AND refresh it on the client side so
that the page doesn't refresh.

Are you using .NET 2.0? Only .NET 2.0 supports Client Side Callbacks
(refreshing data on the client side).

If you're using ASP.NET 1.1 or need cross browser compatibility, take a
look at Dart's LiveControls. Or for a generic implementation, AshleyIt's
Javascript Remoting, or for a (free) .NET version Thycotic's .NET
Javascript Remoting.