Need help Regarding executing select query

Discussion in 'Java' started by Pradeep, Nov 9, 2007.

  1. Pradeep

    Pradeep Guest

    I have one problem in getting Results using select Query...

    Query:
    ------------ -
    Select product_sys_ id,product_ name from Product where product_sys_
    id in(9,6,4,1,2) ;

    Result:(Actual)
    ------------ --------- --------- ----
    product_sys_ id product_name
    ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----
    1 PR1
    2 PR9
    4 PR5
    6 PR787
    9 PR657

    Observe that in the Result product_sys_ ids are getting in the sorted
    order not in the order specified in the Select Query...

    I want to get the Result of product_sys_ ids in the order specified
    in the select
    Query....i.e. ,

    Result:(Expected)
    ------------ --------- ------
    product_sys_ id product_name
    ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----
    9 PR657
    6 PR787
    4 PR5
    1 PR1
    2 PR9

    Can anybody know the solution ???

    Pradeep, Nov 9, 2007

  2. Pradeep

    Lew Guest

    Pradeep wrote:
    > I have one problem in getting Results using select Query...
    >
    > Query:
    > ------------ -
    > Select product_sys_ id,product_ name from Product where product_sys_
    > id in(9,6,4,1,2) ;
    >
    > Result:(Actual)
    > ------------ --------- --------- ----
    > product_sys_ id product_name
    > ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----
    > 1 PR1
    > 2 PR9
    > 4 PR5
    > 6 PR787
    > 9 PR657
    >
    > Observe that in the Result product_sys_ ids are getting in the sorted
    > order not in the order specified in the Select Query...
    >
    > I want to get the Result of product_sys_ ids in the order specified
    > in the select
    > Query....i.e. ,
    >
    > Result:(Expected)
    > ------------ --------- ------
    > product_sys_ id product_name
    > ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----
    > 9 PR657
    > 6 PR787
    > 4 PR5
    > 1 PR1
    > 2 PR9
    >
    > Can anybody know the solution ???

    Use an ORDER BY clause in your SELECT.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Nov 9, 2007

  3. Pradeep

    Lew Guest

    Lew wrote:
    > Pradeep wrote:
    >> I have one problem in getting Results using select Query...
    >>
    >> Query:
    >> ------------ -
    >> Select product_sys_ id,product_ name from Product where product_sys_
    >> id in(9,6,4,1,2) ;
    >>
    >> Result:(Actual)
    >> ------------ --------- --------- ----
    >> product_sys_ id product_name
    >> ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----
    >> 1 PR1
    >> 2 PR9
    >> 4 PR5
    >> 6 PR787
    >> 9 PR657
    >>
    >> Observe that in the Result product_sys_ ids are getting in the sorted
    >> order not in the order specified in the Select Query...
    >>
    >> I want to get the Result of product_sys_ ids in the order specified
    >> in the select
    >> Query....i.e. ,
    >>
    >> Result:(Expected)
    >> ------------ --------- ------
    >> product_sys_ id product_name
    >> ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----
    >> 9 PR657
    >> 6 PR787
    >> 4 PR5
    >> 1 PR1
    >> 2 PR9
    >>
    >> Can anybody know the solution ???

    > Use an ORDER BY clause in your SELECT.

    To expand on that - SELECT is not guaranteed to return any particular order
    absent an ORDER BY clause.

    You don't say how you get the more "random"-seeming results. Was it via a
    command line SQL tool, such as psql?

    That tool in turn communicates with the RDBMS engine, as the JDBC driver must.
    That tool, like your JDBC calls, is a black box to the programmer / user.
    We don't get to know, much less influence, how the RDBMS receives the SELECT
    or how it plans it, save that it must conform to SQL semantics. SQL semantics
    explicitly disclaim order for the results.

    Ergo, if you do not ORDER BY your query, you have to take it in any order that
    it has. Any system or technique that guarantees the order of the SELECT any
    other way will be non-compliant.

    That said, we do not know that the RDBMS-to-JDBC link is re-ordering your
    results. Perhaps the result set is arriving at the JVM in one order, and at
    your ResultSet (or RowSet) in a different order. If so, there are two
    possible reasons:

    1) The JDBC mechanism likes to arbitrarily re-order results. This is
    extremely unlikely, since in the general case there is no need to do this and
    it would slow performance. Java authors and API writers are already sensitive
    to accusations that Java is slow; they're unlikely to bog JDBC down without
    any benefit.

    2) Your application is ordering the result set. This could be true, and if so
    that is good news, because it means that you can fix it.

    Can you tell whether the RDBMS is ordering the results in this unexpected way,
    or if it's happening in your program or the JDBC layer?

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Nov 9, 2007
  4. Pradeep

    Ed Webb Guest

    Lew wrote:
    > Pradeep wrote:
    >> I have one problem in getting Results using select Query...
    >>
    >> Query:
    >> ------------ -
    >> Select product_sys_ id,product_ name from Product where product_sys_
    >> id in(9,6,4,1,2) ;
    >>
    >> Result:(Actual)
    >> ------------ --------- --------- ----
    >> product_sys_ id product_name
    >> ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----
    >> 1 PR1
    >> 2 PR9
    >> 4 PR5
    >> 6 PR787
    >> 9 PR657
    >>
    >> Observe that in the Result product_sys_ ids are getting in the sorted
    >> order not in the order specified in the Select Query...
    >>
    >> I want to get the Result of product_sys_ ids in the order specified
    >> in the select
    >> Query....i.e. ,
    >>
    >> Result:(Expected)
    >> ------------ --------- ------
    >> product_sys_ id product_name
    >> ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----
    >> 9 PR657
    >> 6 PR787
    >> 4 PR5
    >> 1 PR1
    >> 2 PR9
    >>
    >> Can anybody know the solution ???

    > Use an ORDER BY clause in your SELECT.

    That won't help as you can only order numerically ascending or
    descending not in the random order pradeep requires. I know of no way to
    use SQL to arbitrarily order the resultset. You will need to take the
    data returned from the database and order it yourself.

    Ed!

    Ed Webb, Nov 9, 2007
  5. Pradeep

    Lew Guest

    Ed Webb wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >> Pradeep wrote:
    >>> I have one problem in getting Results using select Query...
    >>>
    >>> Query:
    >>> ------------ -
    >>> Select product_sys_ id,product_ name from Product where product_sys_
    >>> id in(9,6,4,1,2) ;
    >>>
    >>> Result:(Actual)
    >>> ------------ --------- --------- ----
    >>> product_sys_ id product_name
    >>> ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----
    >>> 1 PR1
    >>> 2 PR9
    >>> 4 PR5
    >>> 6 PR787
    >>> 9 PR657
    >>>
    >>> Observe that in the Result product_sys_ ids are getting in the sorted
    >>> order not in the order specified in the Select Query...
    >>>
    >>> I want to get the Result of product_sys_ ids in the order specified
    >>> in the select
    >>> Query....i.e. ,
    >>>
    >>> Result:(Expected)
    >>> ------------ --------- ------
    >>> product_sys_ id product_name
    >>> ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----
    >>> 9 PR657
    >>> 6 PR787
    >>> 4 PR5
    >>> 1 PR1
    >>> 2 PR9
    >>>
    >>> Can anybody know the solution ???

    >> Use an ORDER BY clause in your SELECT.
    >>

    > That won't help as you can only order numerically ascending or
    > descending not in the random order pradeep requires. I know of no way to
    > use SQL to arbitrarily order the resultset. You will need to take the
    > data returned from the database and order it yourself.

    You don't know that for sure, because you don't know what other columns
    (perhaps even OID) might suit. You are, of course, absolutely correct if no
    such column exists. What we do know is that there is no way to guarantee a
    SELECT's order without an ORDER BY.

    Besides, the question isn't how to achieve a particular order, but how to
    match the order emitted by the RDBMS. The OP isn't asking how to impose the
    random-seeming order, AFAICT, but suspects that the Java system is somehow
    altering the order as returned by the RDBMS. I doubt that this is the case.
    I suspect that some part of the application is ordering the data. I've been
    wrong about that sort of thing before, of course. There isn't enough
    information on the board yet to do more than speculate.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Nov 9, 2007
  6. Pradeep

    Lew Guest

    Lew wrote:
    > Ed Webb wrote:

    > Besides, the question isn't how to achieve a particular order, but how
    > to match the order emitted by the RDBMS. The OP isn't asking how to
    > impose the random-seeming order, AFAICT, but suspects that the Java
    > system is somehow altering the order as returned by the RDBMS. I doubt
    > that this is the case. I suspect that some part of the application is
    > ordering the data. I've been wrong about that sort of thing before, of
    > course. There isn't enough information on the board yet to do more than
    > speculate.

    Oy, now I see it. They want to order the result by the order of the items in
    the IN clause. Oy, gevalt.

    Not without a function to re-order based on the IN clause order, and that's a
    hack. Really, the best advice is: Don't.

    It's hard for me to imagine a business case for coercing a SELECT ... WHERE
    .... IN clause to match the output order. Ordering is for result sets, not
    query clauses.

    Note that the SQL statement has the exact same meaning no matter what order
    the IN set has. It would be a violation of SQL semantics for that to make a
    difference.

    So, OP, figure out an order that makes sense for your result set. Make sure
    there's a column or function that you can include in the column set and use
    for ORDER BY. Under no circumstances craft a WHERE ... IN set wherein you
    think order of the set matters, because it doesn't.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Nov 9, 2007
  7. Pradeep

    Are Nybakk Guest

    Pradeep wrote:
    > I have one problem in getting Results using select Query...

    *snip*

    And how is this java-related? Even comp.lang.java.databases would be a
    better place for such a question.

    Are Nybakk, Nov 9, 2007
  8. Pradeep

    Wojtek Guest

    Pradeep wrote :
    > I have one problem in getting Results using select Query...
    >
    > Query:
    > ------------ -
    > Select product_sys_ id,product_ name from Product where product_sys_
    > id in(9,6,4,1,2) ;
    >
    > Result:(Actual)
    > ------------ --------- --------- ----
    > product_sys_ id product_name
    > ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----
    > 1 PR1
    > 2 PR9
    > 4 PR5
    > 6 PR787
    > 9 PR657
    >
    > Observe that in the Result product_sys_ ids are getting in the sorted
    > order not in the order specified in the Select Query...
    >
    > I want to get the Result of product_sys_ ids in the order specified
    > in the select
    > Query....i.e. ,
    >
    > Result:(Expected)
    > ------------ --------- ------
    > product_sys_ id product_name
    > ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----
    > 9 PR657
    > 6 PR787
    > 4 PR5
    > 1 PR1
    > 2 PR9
    >
    > Can anybody know the solution ???

    Which DB engine are you using? I am using the same pattern with MS SQL
    Server and I get the results in the expected order.

    --
    Wojtek :)

    Wojtek, Nov 9, 2007
  9. Pradeep

    Wojtek Guest

    Lew wrote :
    > It's hard for me to imagine a business case for coercing a SELECT ... WHERE
    > ... IN clause to match the output order.

    To reduce the impact of complex where clauses where you are paginating
    the results.

    Consider an application which may retrieve 1000+ rows. You do not want
    to feed all 1K rows back to a Web app, so you want to be able to show
    the first 20, then the next 20, and so on. Maybe let the user select
    the range from a drop list (1 - 20 of 1000., 21 - 40 of 1000, ...).

    So you run the query with the complex where clause retrieving ONLY the
    primary ID column. Store this in an array. It is now trivial to select
    a sub-set of the result from the array, use it in a "where in" clause
    and get the sub-set rows in the correct order.

    --
    Wojtek :)

    Wojtek, Nov 9, 2007
  10. Pradeep

    Wojtek Guest

    Wojtek wrote :
    > Pradeep wrote :
    >> Can anybody know the solution ???

    > Which DB engine are you using? I am using the same pattern with MS SQL Server
    > and I get the results in the expected order.

    Hmmm, re-reading the MSSQL documentaton for "where in" does not mention
    anything about retrieval order. So this must be a side effect which
    just happens to work.

    Sigh, now I need to re-design my implementation :-(

    --
    Wojtek :)

    Wojtek, Nov 9, 2007
  11. Pradeep

    Lew Guest

    Wojtek wrote:
    > Lew wrote :
    >> It's hard for me to imagine a business case for coercing a SELECT ...
    >> WHERE ... IN clause to match the output order.

    > To reduce the impact of complex where clauses where you are paginating
    > the results.
    >
    > Consider an application which may retrieve 1000+ rows. You do not want
    > to feed all 1K rows back to a Web app, so you want to be able to show
    > the first 20, then the next 20, and so on. Maybe let the user select the
    > range from a drop list (1 - 20 of 1000., 21 - 40 of 1000, ...).
    >
    > So you run the query with the complex where clause retrieving ONLY the
    > primary ID column. Store this in an array. It is now trivial to select a
    > sub-set of the result from the array, use it in a "where in" clause and
    > get the sub-set rows in the correct order.

    Again, SQL does NOT make guarantees about the order of returned results absent
    an ORDER BY clause, so in general the described technique will not work.

    Furthermore, the semantics of SQL require that the same results be returned
    (except for order) regardless of the order of items in the IN set. Taken
    together, you cannot have SQL guarantee that the order of a result set matches
    the order of items in the IN clause unless you hack the IN clause to match the
    ORDER BY clause. In that case it is still the ORDER BY clause that determines
    the order of returned results.

    Let me state this again: SQL semantics forbid the IN clause from having any
    guaranteed effect on the order of returned results.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Nov 10, 2007
  12. Pradeep

    Lew Guest

    Wojtek wrote:
    > Wojtek wrote :
    >> Pradeep wrote :
    >>> Can anybody know the solution ???

    >> Which DB engine are you using? I am using the same pattern with MS SQL
    >> Server and I get the results in the expected order.

    > Hmmm, re-reading the MSSQL documentaton for "where in" does not mention
    > anything about retrieval order. So this must be a side effect which just
    > happens to work.
    >
    > Sigh, now I need to re-design my implementation :-(

    Yes, because SQL semantics require that IN not have any reliable influence on
    result set order. You could easily get the exact same results irrespective of
    the order of items in the IN set.

    There is no semantic relationship between the IN clause and the result order
    in SQL. None. Zip. Nada. Nil.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Nov 10, 2007
  13. Pradeep wrote:
    > I have one problem in getting Results using select Query...
    >
    > Query:
    > ------------ -
    > Select product_sys_ id,product_ name from Product where product_sys_
    > id in(9,6,4,1,2) ;
    >
    > Result:(Actual)
    > ------------ --------- --------- ----
    > product_sys_ id product_name
    > ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----
    > 1 PR1
    > 2 PR9
    > 4 PR5
    > 6 PR787
    > 9 PR657

    Could you construct an Id_order table like this?

    primary_key product_sys_id
    1 9
    2 6
    3 4
    4 1
    5 2

    You could then do a join between Id_order and Product, ordering the
    result by Id_order.primary_key

    Patricia

    Patricia Shanahan, Nov 10, 2007
  14. On Nov 10, 12:46 pm, Lew <> wrote:
    > Wojtek wrote:
    > > Wojtek wrote :

    > >> Which DB engine are you using? I am using the same pattern with MS SQL
    > >> Server and I get the results in the expected order.

    > > Hmmm, re-reading the MSSQL documentaton for "where in" does not mention
    > > anything about retrieval order. So this must be a side effect which just
    > > happens to work.

    > > Sigh, now I need to re-design my implementation :-(

    > Yes, because SQL semantics require that IN not have any reliable influence on
    > result set order. You could easily get the exact same results irrespective of
    > the order of items in the IN set.
    >
    > There is no semantic relationship between the IN clause and the result order
    > in SQL. None. Zip. Nada. Nil.

    Yes, that is true, but the result set can be ordered quite easily:

    <TESTED>

    Select product_sys_id, product_name FROM Product
    WHERE product_sys_id IN( 9, 6, 4, 1, 2 )
    ORDER BY
    CASE WHEN product_sys_id = 9 THEN 1
    WHEN product_sys_id = 6 THEN 2
    WHEN product_sys_id = 4 THEN 3
    WHEN product_sys_id = 1 THEN 4
    WHEN product_sys_id = 2 THEN 5
    ELSE NULL
    END;

    </TESTED>

    --
    Chris

    PS: I sent a reply about using "CASE WHEN" before
    I went to bed last night, but it looks like it
    didn't make it here (sent via google).

    Chris ( Val ), Nov 10, 2007
  15. Pradeep

    Lew Guest

    Chris ( Val ) wrote:
    > ... the result set can be ordered quite easily:
    >
    > <TESTED>
    >
    > Select product_sys_id, product_name FROM Product
    > WHERE product_sys_id IN( 9, 6, 4, 1, 2 )
    > ORDER BY
    > CASE WHEN product_sys_id = 9 THEN 1
    > WHEN product_sys_id = 6 THEN 2
    > WHEN product_sys_id = 4 THEN 3
    > WHEN product_sys_id = 1 THEN 4
    > WHEN product_sys_id = 2 THEN 5
    > ELSE NULL
    > END;
    >
    > </TESTED>

    Excellent suggestion. Note that it should work equally well as
    (not tested here)

    Select product_sys_id, product_name FROM Product
    WHERE product_sys_id IN( 1, 2, 4, 6, 9 )

    Lew, Nov 10, 2007
  16. On Nov 10, 3:00 pm, Lew <> wrote:
    > Chris ( Val ) wrote:
    >

    > > ... the result set can be ordered quite easily:

    > > <TESTED>

    > > Select product_sys_id, product_name FROM Product
    > > WHERE product_sys_id IN( 9, 6, 4, 1, 2 )
    > > ORDER BY
    > > CASE WHEN product_sys_id = 9 THEN 1
    > > WHEN product_sys_id = 6 THEN 2
    > > WHEN product_sys_id = 4 THEN 3
    > > WHEN product_sys_id = 1 THEN 4
    > > WHEN product_sys_id = 2 THEN 5
    > > ELSE NULL
    > > END;

    > > </TESTED>

    > Excellent suggestion. Note that it should work equally well as
    > (not tested here)
    >
    > Select product_sys_id, product_name FROM Product
    > WHERE product_sys_id IN( 1, 2, 4, 6, 9 )
    > ORDER BY
    > CASE WHEN product_sys_id = 9 THEN 1
    > WHEN product_sys_id = 6 THEN 2
    > WHEN product_sys_id = 4 THEN 3
    > WHEN product_sys_id = 1 THEN 4
    > WHEN product_sys_id = 2 THEN 5
    > ELSE NULL
    > END;

    Yes.

    The IN clause is only responsible for returning
    the specified result set, and the ORDER BY clause
    in conjunction with the CASE WHEN clause are both
    responsible for the ordering of the result set.

    Note that the numbers following the THEN keyword
    need not have started from 1, As long as they are
    in ascending order, any start number would be fine.

    --
    Chris

    Chris ( Val ), Nov 10, 2007
  17. Pradeep

    Adam Maass Guest

    "Lew" <> wrote in message
    > Ed Webb wrote:

    >>> Use an ORDER BY clause in your SELECT.
    >>>

    >> That won't help as you can only order numerically ascending or descending
    >> not in the random order pradeep requires. I know of no way to use SQL to
    >> arbitrarily order the resultset. You will need to take the data returned
    >> from the database and order it yourself.

    > You don't know that for sure, because you don't know what other columns
    > (perhaps even OID) might suit. You are, of course, absolutely correct if
    > no such column exists. What we do know is that there is no way to
    > guarantee a SELECT's order without an ORDER BY.
    >
    > Besides, the question isn't how to achieve a particular order, but how to
    > match the order emitted by the RDBMS. The OP isn't asking how to impose
    > the random-seeming order, AFAICT, but suspects that the Java system is
    > somehow altering the order as returned by the RDBMS. I doubt that this is
    > the case. I suspect that some part of the application is ordering the
    > data. I've been wrong about that sort of thing before, of course. There
    > isn't enough information on the board yet to do more than speculate.

    If you were writing the database engine, how would you go about satisfying
    the query, especially if the table is indexed on product_sys_id? You'd
    probably sort your in-list, and then walk the index.

    I'm willing to bet that the database is returning the rows in the order they
    occur in the index. This is, of course, perfectly legal as the SQL spec does
    not guarantee any particular order on a SELECT absent an ORDER BY clause.

    -- Adam Maass

    Adam Maass, Nov 10, 2007
  18. Pradeep

    Wojtek Guest

    Lew wrote :
    > Wojtek wrote:
    >> Wojtek wrote :
    >>>
    >>> Which DB engine are you using? I am using the same pattern with MS SQL
    >>> Server and I get the results in the expected order.

    >> Hmmm, re-reading the MSSQL documentaton for "where in" does not mention
    >> anything about retrieval order. So this must be a side effect which just
    >> happens to work.
    >>
    >> Sigh, now I need to re-design my implementation :-(

    > Yes, because SQL semantics require that IN not have any reliable influence on
    > result set order. You could easily get the exact same results irrespective
    > of the order of items in the IN set.
    >
    > There is no semantic relationship between the IN clause and the result order
    > in SQL. None. Zip. Nada. Nil.

    Why yes Lew, that is what I said...

    --
    Wojtek :)

    Wojtek, Nov 10, 2007
  19. Pradeep

    Lew Guest

    Wojtek wrote:
    > Why yes Lew, that is what I said...

    Please forgive me. Years of working for the Department of Redundancy
    Department have left their mark.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Nov 10, 2007
  20. Pradeep

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Lew wrote:
    > Wojtek wrote:
    >> Why yes Lew, that is what I said...

    > Please forgive me. Years of working for the Department of Redundancy
    > Department have left their mark.

    Not to mention working for the Department of Redundancy Department has
    left its mark.

    Daniel Pitts, Nov 10, 2007