NEED HELP W/ ENABLE/DISABLE CHECKBOXES AND TEXTBOXES

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by HolaGoogle, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. HolaGoogle

    HolaGoogle Guest

    Hi all,
    Can you please tell me what's wrong with my code??? i do have this
    database in wich i have to field.One is a "yes/no" field and another
    one is "number" field. To display the yes/no field in my asp form i
    use a checkbox and fot he other field i use a normal text box. if the
    yes/no field is checked then the other field is enabled otherwise it
    has to be disabled.Here's what i've done so far:

    Do While Not ObjRS.EOF
    ObjRS("chkbox") = TRUE
    THEN %> CHECKED onclick="ChkBoxChecked()<% END IF %>
    <%if (ObjRS("chkbox"))Then %>//if the yes/no field value is yes
    enable textbox
    <input type="text"name="FieldToEnabe"value=<%=ObjRS("EnableField")%>>
    <%ELSE%>//else if the value field is no. disable text box but if the
    user
    //clicks enables the checkbox then enable the textbox too.
    <input type="text" disabled name="FieldToEnabe"value=<%=ObjRS
    ("EnableField")%>
    <%End if%>
    ObjRS.MoveNext

    function ChkBoxChecked()//this method is used when the user
    enable/disable the
    //checkbox, if it's enabled then the txtbox is enabled too.
    {
    if(document.Myform.ChkboxName.checked==true)
    {
    document.Myform.FieldToEnabe.disabled=true;
    }
    else
    {
    document.Myform.FieldToEnabe.disabled=false;

    this obviously doesn't work. So...can someone tell me what i'm doing
    wrong please??
    thaks a lot!
    HolaGoogle, Sep 23, 2003

  2. HolaGoogle

    Ray at Guest

    Re: Need help w/ enabled/disable checkboxes and textboxes

    Hi HolaGoogle,

    The first thing that you'll have to do is straighten out your HTML issues.
    You have missing quotes, spaces, and >'s. For example:

    <input type="checkbox" name="ChkboxName"value=1 <%IF ObjRS("chkbox") = TRUE
    THEN %> CHECKED onclick="ChkBoxChecked()<% END IF %>

    Strip out the asp, and this will look like:

    <input type="checkbox" name="ChkboxName"value=1 CHECKED
    onclick="ChkBoxChecked()

    It should look like:

    <input type="checkbox" name="ChkboxName" value=1 CHECKED
    onclick="ChkBoxChecked();">

    After you get that worked out, try CBooling your recordset values, i.e.

    <% If CBool(ObjRS.Fields.Item("chkbox").Value) Then %>

    Also, get rid of those // comments. If you want to put comments in, either
    use vbscript comments (<% 'comment %>) or html comments <!-- comment
    here -->

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Sep 23, 2003

  3. HolaGoogle

    HolaGoogle Guest

    Re: Need help w/ enabled/disable checkboxes and textboxes

    Hey Ray,
    Thansk for your answer..i'm sorry i didn't realize that my posted was
    answered ;-)) i just opened my post and didn't see any answer so i
    reposted it once again...sorry.. and thanks for your quick answer....
    Ok, let me try what you're suggesting and i'll let you know.....OH!
    the
    comments are not in my asp form ..so, don't worry !! i would never do
    something like that ;-) it was just meant to explain what i was trying
    to do ...

    Thanks!

    HolaGoogle, Sep 25, 2003