need help with bulleted lists

Eric Fields

I'm trying to use the TYPE=SQUARE attribute in a bulleted list but when I
browse the page with IE5.5 it shows the items with a circular bullet.

Can anyone tell me how to get my browser to display the squares?

Chet

| I'm trying to use the TYPE=SQUARE attribute in a bulleted list
but when I
| browse the page with IE5.5 it shows the items with a circular
bullet.

| Can anyone tell me how to get my browser to display the
squares?

In your css are you using

{list-style-type:square;}

hth

Michael Wilcox

Eric Fields said:
Can anyone tell me how to get my browser to display the squares?

<ul style="list-style-type: square;">
<li>This item has a square next to it</li>
</ul>

Luigi Donatello Asero

Michael Wilcox said:
<ul style="list-style-type: square;">
<li>This item has a square next to it</li>
</ul>

What about
list-style-type:square; (without =" ") ?

Best regards

Michael Wilcox

What about
list-style-type:square; (without =" ") ?

The quotes are required because the data of the style attribute has a space
in it (or because the author is using HTML 4.01 strict or XHTML).

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Eric Fields:
I'm trying to use the TYPE=SQUARE attribute in a bulleted list but when I
browse the page with IE5.5 it shows the items with a circular bullet.

Can anyone tell me how to get my browser to display the squares?

"list-style-type: square" ?

Leif K-Brooks

Michael said:
The quotes are required because the data of the style attribute has a space
in it (or because the author is using HTML 4.01 strict or XHTML).

HTML 4.01 strict doesn't require quotes around attributes any more so
than HTML 4.01 transitional.

Limelight

I'm trying to use the TYPE=SQUARE attribute in a bulleted list but when I
browse the page with IE5.5 it shows the items with a circular bullet.

Can anyone tell me how to get my browser to display the squares?

Don't know if this is the case, but I find if the type size is small, it
appears as a circle. If it is larger, it appears as a square - or whatever
other attribute you chose.

Eric Fields

Thank you everyone for responding. I have found the answer to my problem
among your responses.

Jukka K. Korpela

Limelight said:
Don't know if this is the case, but I find if the type size is
small, it appears as a circle. If it is larger, it appears as a
square - or whatever other attribute you chose.

Strangely enough, on my IE 6 on Win98, plain <ul> creates a rectangular
marker if I set font size to "smaller" in browser settings; for other
directly selectable sizes, it's a bullet as expected. If I set the font
size using font-size in CSS, the markers keep their size, somewhat
oddly (though we can argue that they aren't part of the font).

On IE 6 on WinXP, <ul> creates a bullet in "smaller" size too. It seems
that IE is getting rid of its bugs and deficiencies in list marker
display.