Need help

app727

I've just started using java, and I'm really not that good. I'm okay at
VB, but I wanted to try something new. Any suggestions for tutorials,
books or resources would really be helpful.

Rhino

app727 said:
I've just started using java, and I'm really not that good. I'm okay at
VB, but I wanted to try something new. Any suggestions for tutorials,
books or resources would really be helpful.
This question gets asked several times a week and the answers don't change a
whole lot over time. May I suggest that you use a Google Groups search to
find past answers to this question?

sipages

app727 said:
I've just started using java, and I'm really not that good. I'm okay at
VB, but I wanted to try something new. Any suggestions for tutorials,
books or resources would really be helpful.

If you'd like to setup a JSP development environment with Eclipse,
Tomcat, and MySQL, I have a site that will give you the information you
need along with the appropriate links:

http://www.sipages.com/jet.html

IchBin

app727 said:
I've just started using java, and I'm really not that good. I'm okay at
VB, but I wanted to try something new. Any suggestions for tutorials,
books or resources would really be helpful.

You can try Sun's "The Really Big Index".
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/reallybigindex.html

The "Java Language Specification, Third Edition" for reference.
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/j3TOC.html

"JavaTM 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Overview for reference.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs//guide/

JDK 5.0 Documentation for reference.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs

"Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 API Specification" for reference.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/

And along with all of that "The Java Developers Almanac 1.4" for
examples outside the tutorials.
http://javaalmanac.com

Thanks in Advance...

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

IchBin

IchBin said:
You can try Sun's "The Really Big Index".
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/reallybigindex.html

The "Java Language Specification, Third Edition" for reference.
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/j3TOC.html

"JavaTM 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Overview for reference.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs//guide/

JDK 5.0 Documentation for reference.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs

"Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 API Specification" for reference.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/

And along with all of that "The Java Developers Almanac 1.4" for
examples outside the tutorials.
http://javaalmanac.com

Thanks in Advance...

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Sorry Oliver... This is what I always recommend to new Java coders..

I did not know it was the same thing that is documented at that Link
http://riters.com/JINX/index.cgi/How_20do_20I_20learn_20Java_3f

I mean, almost word for word?

Thanks in Advance...

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

David Segall

app727 said:
I've just started using java, and I'm really not that good. I'm okay at
VB, but I wanted to try something new. Any suggestions for tutorials,
books or resources would really be helpful.
I have documented my first step of this process at
<http://ide.profectus.com.au>. At the moment I would strongly
recommend NetBeans. In addition to including everything you need "in
the box" it has a superior GUI builder.

After this step and assuming that are coming from VB "classic" (rather
than .NET) you will need to reorient your thinking to dealing with
objects including inheritance. Some people advise doing this by
reading a language independent text book. I just started coding in
Java so I can't tell you if that might be a better approach.

Finally you have to get used to the fact that, if you want to program
something, it has probably already been done and there is a library
that you should use. You can use Google to locate the code and
NetBeans to write the import statement.

Stefan Ram

Oliver Wong said:
Haha, well to be honest, I copied it from your posts.

I have developed a list independent from the preceding works,
though it shares some entries with them:

The Tutorial from Sun
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/reallybigindex.html

The Java Language Specification
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/

Code Conventions for the Java Programming Language
http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/

Classes of the platform "Java SE 6"
http://download.java.net/jdk6/docs/api/allclasses-frame.html

Packages of the platform "Java SE 6"
http://download.java.net/jdk6/docs/api/overview-summary.html

What's new in JDK 5?
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/language/index.html

Frequently Asked Questions About the Java HotSpot VM
http://java.sun.com/jsp_utils/PrintPage.jsp?url=http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/PerformanceFAQ.html

JDK 5.0 Documentation
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/index.html

Java Glossary by Roedy Green
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss.html

"Thinking in Java" by Bruce Eckels
http://mindview.net/Books/TIJ4

Java-Tool documentation (java, javac, javadoc, ...)
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/

Manual for "javadoc" for Microsoft® Windows
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/windows/javadoc.html

Bugs in Java
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/

..---------
| Swing

Java Look and Feel Design Guidelines
http://java.sun.com/products/jlf/ed2/book/HIGTOC.html

Swing Keys
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/javax/swing/doc-files/Key-Index.html

..---------
| Hints about how to learn

»Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years« by Peter Norvig
http://www.norvig.com/21-days.html

Oliver Wong

Stefan Ram said:
I have developed a list independent from the preceding works,
though it shares some entries with them:
[snip]

Okay, I've added those, and made some efforts to sort them in order of
difficulty, or order in which I think they should be read.

- Oliver